Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default New phone suggestions

So the microphone on my phone is pretty much shot. And it will randomly shut off for no reason. So it's time for a new one. Gonna go get one on Monday I believe. I have my service through AT&T. What do you guys recommend? I can get an iphone 3gs for $99. iphone4 for $199. Droid maybe? Blackberry? No idea what to do. I go on the internet - a lot. Text message quite a bit too.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New phone suggestions

Stay away from Blackberry. I personally have the iPhone 4 and love it, completely worth the extra $100 over the 3g. I have some friends who have Droid phones and love them as well. But please, do not buy a Blackberry.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Any of those will serve you well, except for the Blackberry which IMO is fast becoming an antiquated device. I love my iPhone 4 but have seen some awesome stuff come out of the Samsung and HTC camps (Galaxy, Desire HD, etc)
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

android OS is phenomenal. i would go with a phone that runs it.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Samsung has a new phone called the captivate that looks really good. I don't think ATT has the Droid series yet, but I do think the X and HTC are pretty cool devices. I have an iphone4 now and am not at all happy with it, i'd stay away until the next iteration comes next year. Blackberry has been behind the curve, but they do have a new phone called the Torch that i've seen advertised pretty heavily. Haven't actually seen one in the wild yet but might be worth looking at.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I have seen the Torch, its ok. Screen isn't as big as the Storm, and it has a standard pop out BB keyboard under it.

I have had BB's for a few years and liked them, but I think they are being left behind in cutting edge technology. BB's are great for your average everyday business dude, but for the eye popping cool stuff, they lag behind.

I am going with a Droid X in the next couple of days, but they keep pushing the ship date back at Verizon. After playing with one, and hearing all the good things about it, I cannot wait to actually get my hands on it and dominate the world!

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I am hoping to to retire my BB Tour for a Driod X soon. Everyone I know that is using one will not shut the hell up about it. Literally.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I don't know what phone this is, but it has your name written all over it...

T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

lol nice find! Just one problem with it. as far as willy wonka, gene wilder > johnny depp.
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
hova45
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Joey
Trading: (0)
Punch
hova45 is on a distinguished road

Iphone4
Old 09-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Lisa and I both love our iphones. If you can get the 4 for $199, I'd sure recommend it. I think you'd be thrilled, to say the least.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
kazzaca

If you mainly use your phone for apps and media then I would say go with the iPhone, Samsung Captivate or the Droid X. If your primary use is for email and you like a physical keyboard then Blackberry is a good option.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Droid
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #14
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

iPhone4

The droid may be good but the iPhone has been out so much longer that the app people have the whole thing wired and Apple has fixed up and streamlined iTunes to accomodate everthing very nicely. That is not yet the case for the droid.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I absolutely love my HTC Desire. Android is awesome!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

My wife got the Samsung Captivate. As a phone I think it's much cooler than the iphone4, but the iphone still rules in the apps department. But when it's my time to upgrade I'm going with the Captivate as well. The screen is just amazing.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #17
junkinduck
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Don
Trading: (2)
junkinduck is on a distinguished road

Love my iPhone. I'm using it to send this. I have a 3Gs. Will upgrade to what ever comes after the 4 unless AT&T gets something better. The iPhone is a great music player, video player, Internet browser, emailer, the apps are great and it will even make calls. Oh yea if u go apple get iCare mine had a little problem just after the year was up. I didn't hAve Icare and it was a hastle to get it repaired. Had to go to the apple store to get it fixed.
junkinduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #18
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

I have a love/hate relationship with my iPhone. I love the apps, iPod feature, etc. However, as a phone it STINKS. I get dropped calls and general bad reception all the time. I once had a dropped call while driving through downtown Boston. I mean if you can't get good reception in the middle of one of the largest cities in the USA then where can you get good reception????

Before this I had a Blackberry. While I never had a dropped call with my Blackberry the email service stunk and generally the device was not as capable as the iPhone.

My next phone will probably be a Droid X. My contract with AT&T is up in February and I'm likely leaving and never looking back.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #19
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

+1 Android.
CRIMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #20
stewshi
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (23)
stewshi will become famous soon enough

I agree with everyone for internet browsing stay away from the blackberry, I have one now and cant wait to get a full touchscreen phone.

Have you had a touchsreen before? Some people have trouble typing on them and prefer a physical keyboard ... if so check out any android phones they offer.
stewshi is offline   Reply With Quote