Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 PM   #21
Tombstone

Default Re: Do you believe in Karma?

Job 4:8 says, “As I have observed, those who plow evil and those who sow trouble reap it.”

This is biblical...around way before 'Karma'...

Old 03-31-2009, 12:37 PM   #22
Cyanide

Haven't read this full thread as I am quickly jotting this down over lunch (5 minutes before I have to drive back to work).

Sorry to complicate this for you, but;

Prostate cancer is typically a slow growing cancer that frequently metastasizes to the brain and skeleton by the time it is found, let alone "terminal". So, this fellow could very well have had the cancer by then (most likely) and probably had mets to skeleton and brain.

This would have made him not a terribly good candidate for being a safe driver. Further, it could potentially make his skeleton (especially spine) very brittle where-ever the mets were that they could have snapped under incredibly little load (even slipping on a stair, not even falling, could cause a vertebra to crush). Thus, very little trauma could lead to incredibly significant injury.

So, this might be a case of mis-identifying cause and effect and thus obliterating the concept of karma in this case.

Sorry for throwing this out there. I do feel empathy for your plight.

Cheers

Cyanide

Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 PM   #23
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
Job 4:8 says, “As I have observed, those who plow evil and those who sow trouble reap it.”

are you sure? Isn't Budism older then Christianity? *this is a geniune question*
Old 03-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #24
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
are you sure? Isn't Budism older then Christianity? *this is a geniune question*
Buddhism is older then Christianity. Buddah lived and achieved enlightenment around 500 BCE. Judaism did begin about 1500 years before this.

So the Judeo-Christian belief system is older then Buddhism. But not Christianity. Since the Book of Job was Old Testament, it predates Buddah.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 PM   #25
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
Buddhism is older then Christianity. Buddah lived and achieved enlightenment around 500 BCE. Judaism did begin about 1500 years before this.

So the Judeo-Christian belief system is older then Buddhism. But not Christianity.
Now that the question has been answered, the thread can get back to it's original topic.

Just as a reminder to everyone, like politics, discussing religion is not permitted at CA.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #26
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post
Haven't read this full thread as I am quickly jotting this down over lunch (5 minutes before I have to drive back to work).

Sorry to complicate this for you, but;

Prostate cancer is typically a slow growing cancer that frequently metastasizes to the brain and skeleton by the time it is found, let alone "terminal". So, this fellow could very well have had the cancer by then (most likely) and probably had mets to skeleton and brain.

This would have made him not a terribly good candidate for being a safe driver. Further, it could potentially make his skeleton (especially spine) very brittle where-ever the mets were that they could have snapped under incredibly little load (even slipping on a stair, not even falling, could cause a vertebra to crush). Thus, very little trauma could lead to incredibly significant injury.

So, this might be a case of mis-identifying cause and effect and thus obliterating the concept of karma in this case.

Sorry for throwing this out there. I do feel empathy for your plight.

Cheers

Cyanide
Darn doctors!!!

However, you have shed some very interesting light on his "back" injury claim alleged. Still can't figure out how a man in so much pain was smoking a cigar at the scene as he rested from the yelling he gave my daughter.

Hey, he was a cigar smoker. Has to have a nice side.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #27
Cyanide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Darn doctors!!!

However, you have shed some very interesting light on his "back" injury claim alleged. Still can't figure out how a man in so much pain was smoking a cigar at the scene as he rested from the yelling he gave my daughter.

Hey, he was a cigar smoker. Has to have a nice side.
And that is where I step back into the shadows. While it is totally possible that he was feeling no pain after the endorphin rush of screaming at someone, I am not going to defend that (obviously its indefensible).

Old 03-31-2009, 01:41 PM   #28
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Yep, I truely believe in karma. Whether it be good or bad. It is amazing.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:04 PM   #29
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Now that the question has been answered, the thread can get back to it's original topic.

Just as a reminder to everyone, like politics, discussing religion is not permitted at CA.
just to make it clear Peter, it wasn't a discussion, just a simple question. Me, being an atheist, wasn't sure on the statement made, therefore I ask for clarification, which I got
Old 03-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #30
hova45
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Joey
Trading: (0)
Punch
hova45 is on a distinguished road

I definitely believe in Karma, eventually si haces algo mal en este mundo las pagas aqui o cuando mueras, si no en tu proxima vida. Thats what my grandparents always said. Basically if you do something bad in this world you will pay it in the after life or if you reincarnate.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #31
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

I believe in Karma too... for what it's worth.

I try to be the better person, always helpful. And no, I don't take true pleasure in someone else's misfortune.

I had 'one of them' accidents in 2006. I stopped work on my Van because if they came back to re-assess the 'further damage' they would have totalled it and given me pennies in value. Thought that it was good karma, that I was actually getting full value on my discounted purchase.

I spent 6 months with decreased activity, months of trips to the physical therapy only to be followed with a few more months with chiropractics. (I'm not actually complaining...) And ended up gaining 100 pounds, after just having lost 80+, from becoming sedintary.
Now, two years later, my case is having issues because my lawyer screwed up. He has informed me that I may be forced to bring suit against him, due to this error, in order to get anything for my troubles.

Not that I'm eager or money-grubbing, but I was hoping for a nice down-payment on a house, and get out from being under someone else's thumb.

The Karma in this, you ask? He was required to inform me, and his 'malpractice' insurance company told him 'it was in his best interest to settle with me' on the case.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #32
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

You reap what you sow I certainly do believe!
Old 03-31-2009, 03:17 PM   #33
Cyanide

If we are talking about whether we believe in Karma or not (as opposed to offering empathy to the bad turn of events affecting BlueFace)....

Then I would have to further clarify:

I am willing to believe in "Karma" as the predictible consequences of one's own actions while interacting with the world through (mal)adaptive behaviours. Sure, you treat people in a crappy way and people will return the favour once they come to recognize your behaviour (no one helps you out of your misfortune when they recognize that you relish in other's misfortune). Or, you run through life in a wreckless pattern and the consequences of doing so wil catch up to you (like getting a ticket because you choose not to renew your license plate, or you get in more car accidents because you drive carelessly/selfishly). I would accept "what goes around comes around" in those circumstances.

But, to believe that somehow we are cosmicly accelerated towards a fate of deserved (but not directly related in a "cause and effect" fashion) consequences? I wouldn't accept that. The concept is too internally non-consistent to use to predict or rationalize events in our lives.

For BlueFace to say this guy "had it coming" and accept that as Karma, but to not look at LooseCard's misfortune as a form of Karma for his own misdoings? This is internally-inconsistent. It is for this reason (amongst others) that I would not believe in some mystical Karma. Bad things happen, good things happen. Whether it affects "good" people or "bad" people or anyone at all is governed by much more trivial and unrelated factors, not whether or not "it is deserved". Also, remember most "good" people have their "bad" moments, and if that was all that you had to reference them by, you would leave with the "bad" impression.

And remember:

When I evaluate your actions, by default I count them as a product of your person. But, when I evaluate my own actions, by default, I count them as a product of my environment. How easy we change the nature of motivation and circumstance simply by changing our vantage point.

Cheers

John

Old 03-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #34
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Some have communicated to me that the subject of karma, by definition, is religious in nature. Technically, you are correct. My point (and my perspective) was that the intent ofg the thread was not religious in nature but more of a WGACA type of question. Had I or any admin believed it to be religious in nature, it would have been closed immediately.

Some folks have taken offense at my prior post and let me know about it. I meant no offense. But I stand by my position. Others have respectfully communicated with me and engaged in mature discussion about it and for that I thank you.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #35
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Some have communicated to me that the subject of karma, by definition, is religious in nature. Technically, you are correct. My point (and my perspective) was that the intent ofg the thread was not religious in nature but more of a WGACA type of question. Had I or any admin believed it to be religious in nature, it would have been closed immediately.

Some folks have taken offense at my prior post and let me know about it. I meant no offense. But I stand by my position. Others have respectfully communicated with me and engaged in mature discussion about it and for that I thank you.
Peter,
You are absolutely correct.
I never intended it as a religious term and should have clarified.
It was intended purely as a term commonly used by many to mean what you do is what you get in return.

In my case, a person that was so cruel to a pregnant child, who is now compensated for alleged injuries not sustained in that accident, will likely not enjoy much of that money due to his serious ailment.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #36
BC-Axeman

Still, sometimes karma needs a little help... just sayin'.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #37
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
You reap what you sow I certainly do believe!

Old 03-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #38
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Peter,
You are absolutely correct.
I never intended it as a religious term and should have clarified.
It was intended purely as a term commonly used by many to mean what you do is what you get in return.

In my case, a person that was so cruel to a pregnant child, who is now compensated for alleged injuries not sustained in that accident, will likely not enjoy much of that money due to his serious ailment.
You and I were on the same wavelength, Carlos.

CA has since its inception not permitted political or religious threads. There is a fine line between discussion of government vs. politics. There is also a fine line between, shall we say, spiritual vs. religious discussion. We have a Thoughts & Prayers forum.

The admin team does its very best here to leave well enough alone but when topics clearly cross a line, we have no choice but to step in. There will always be those that disagree with an admin's judgement or actions. There is no escaping that. But all of us set our personal feelings aside (with respect to politics, religion, etc.) and try to act in the best interests of the forum. Those that find that unacceptable are free to find other communities more in line with their expectations.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #39
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
You and I were on the same wavelength, Carlos.

CA has since its inception not permitted political or religious threads. There is a fine line between discussion of government vs. politics. There is also a fine line between, shall we say, spiritual vs. religious discussion. We have a Thoughts & Prayers forum.

The admin team does its very best here to leave well enough alone but when topics clearly cross a line, we have no choice but to step in. There will always be those that disagree with an admin's judgement or actions. There is no escaping that. But all of us set our personal feelings aside (with respect to politics, religion, etc.) and try to act in the best interests of the forum. Those that find that unacceptable are free to find other communities more in line with their expectations.
Peter,
I would ask to change the thread title to "do you believe what goes around comes around" or anything to that effect.
May save any further misunderstanding as that is what I meant by the whole thing.
My apologies for the resulting confusion.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #40
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
For BlueFace to say this guy "had it coming" and accept that as Karma, but to not look at LooseCard's misfortune as a form of Karma for his own misdoings? This is internally-inconsistent.
Ahh... but is it 'misfortune' for me?

Quote:
How easy we change the nature of motivation and circumstance simply by changing our vantage point.
I can name my price, being reasonable, and don't have to pay a Lawyer his 1/3.

I don't necessarily see that as a misfortune.

Quote:
You're doing fine. Keep up the good work.
You guys all deserve a cigar for putting up with this lot.
Closed Thread