Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about
Default When did bombing become an announced event?

Question? - What is a bomb and should I be scared?

Answer - A bomb is really a package of cigars that has been sent to a person unsollicited and unannounced. They are a gift to the person who recieves them. Some people may fear getting this type of a gift.

Maybe I missed the message..
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: When did bombing become an announced event?

On the one hand, brother, I agree. On the other, I don't have an issue with a "declaration of war" as opposed to sneak attacks . . . as long as I'm not the victim.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

Bombs can be secret and random and those are certainly fun to do but they can also be public. Like a declaration of war and so on which involves everyone on the boards and I think can bring a lot of positivity into this place. It's entertaining as well. We all enjoy watching a BOTL or SOTL getting their mailboxes or houses destroyed. Especially if that person is very deserving of such a thing. It's a lot of fun but there should never be any pressure to compete. It's entirely up to that person but it's also infectious.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenksAnejo View Post

Answer - A bomb is really a package of cigars that has been sent to a person unsollicited and unannounced. They are a gift to the person who recieves them. Some people may fear getting this type of a gift.

I tend to agree that a bomb is a "nice surprise" to someone to put a smile on their face, when you expect it it doesn't seem that big of a deal and what if you expect it but you aren't the one getting bombed, seems like there's room for a let down there. Then again I'm a noob.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

It's all in fun, just because it's announced doesn't mean the target knows where it's going, unless the bomber puts the tracking number up. Seems to me that it really doesn't matter how we bomb, all good clean fun...do we really need rules of bombing and is it really something we need to concern ourselves with

Bomb how you like is my motto
Old 01-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenksAnejo View Post

You feeling left out ?

All joke aside I partly agree with that as the way that has taken place here as of late, increases traffic, promotes a healthy environment, and receivers are still unannounce and somewhat a surprise.
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

I've gone back and forth on this issue in my head over the years. I've settled on "what's my motivation" as a guiding principle. As a result, I no longer announce my intentions because I don't really want it to be about me sending the gift as I do about the recipient receiving the gift. More often than not, I send along a note asking that we keep this between us (doesn't always work). And if I really don't want any credit for the bombing, I simply send anonymously through a third party because if I decide to show you some love, it should be all about you and not about me.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

The notion of a bomb has actually changed over the years to include the "incoming!" announcements. Some see it as hubris or "look at me!", but I doubt that is the case for most people here.

The quiet, anonymous bombing still occurs, but of course you don't hear about it.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceolee View Post
Bombs can be secret and random and those are certainly fun to do but they can also be public. Like a declaration of war and so on which involves everyone on the boards and I think can bring a lot of positivity into this place. It's entertaining as well. We all enjoy watching a BOTL or SOTL getting their mailboxes or houses destroyed. Especially if that person is very deserving of such a thing. It's a lot of fun but there should never be any pressure to compete. It's entirely up to that person but it's also infectious.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #10
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
The notion of a bomb has actually changed over the years to include the "incoming!" announcements. Some see it as hubris or "look at me!", but I doubt that is the case for most people here.
Correct, I'm willing to bet that no one here does it for personal recognition or gain. Definitely not detectable that way from the messages being posted. More of a friendly "in your face" type of thing.
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post

The quiet, anonymous bombing still occurs, but of course you don't hear about it.
This...

I doubt that anyone here has the "look at me" attitude... We have all bombed, been bombed....like has been said it is a fun way to get people involved, keeps the board lively and is entertaining. All good, do it how you like
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's fun, and perfectly okay, no matter how it's done.
I've done it every way that I've thought of, from anonymous to making videos, to saying to a friend in a banter thread "ya know what, I haven't bombed you for a long time."
Lots of my bombs aren't even bombs, really. I'll be talking to someone about smokes, they'll say something that makes me believe they'll really enjoy something I have that they don't, and I want to share. That's what we do with our cigars. We share.
If my motivation is to spread some love, I can't see how that can be wrong.
I can't see a problem with the brothers getting a "feel good" out of the bomb via sharing a picture. And if it motivates them to do the same, all the better.

That said, I completely understand Vinnie's words and he made me smile. I'm taught to do for others and keep my mouth shut about it, that doing the right thing is it's own reward. Life allows plenty of opportunity for that, beyond cigars. It's a wonderful thing, although I won't comment any further via part two of that teaching.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #13
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
You feeling left out ?
Because I don't feel it neccesary to include a DC when I send out a package? Then I guess, yes, I feel left out Edwin.

I was just wondering when this all started. Things have definitely changed since when I started here. I just never noticed it much until now.
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #14
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

as somebody who has bombed and created "incoming" threads...i can honestly say i have sent more bombs without creating a "incoming" thread. i have also received bombs that were sent without a thread, and i have sent my thank you's privately. i dont do it for the "look at me factor".... i just do it so people can start to worry and wonder...."am i next", is it finally my time"?

lately...everything has been public and i have no problem with it...it is all in good fun.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #15
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I think it's fun, and perfectly okay, no matter how it's done.
I've done it every way that I've thought of, from anonymous to making videos, to saying to a friend in a banter thread "ya know what, I haven't bombed you for a long time."
Lots of my bombs aren't even bombs, really. I'll be talking to someone about smokes, they'll say something that makes me believe they'll really enjoy something I have that they don't, and I want to share. That's what we do with our cigars. We share.
If my motivation is to spread some love, I can't see how that can be wrong.
I can't see a problem with the brothers getting a "feel good" out of the bomb via sharing a picture. And if it motivates them to do the same, all the better.

That said, I completely understand Vinnie's words and he made me smile. I'm taught to do for others and keep my mouth shut about it, that doing the right thing is it's own reward. Life allows plenty of opportunity for that, beyond cigars. It's a wonderful thing, although I won't comment any further via part two of that teaching.
He always puts things so much better than I could ever hope to.

As someone who is guilty of enjoying finding "bombing" related pictures and captioning them to go along with a sent bomb, I can only hope that anyone here would believe me when I say I don't do it for recognition, I do it for fun.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #16
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
He always puts things so much better than I could ever hope to.

As someone who is guilty of enjoying finding "bombing" related pictures and captioning them to go along with a sent bomb, I can only hope that anyone here would believe me when I say I don't do it for recognition, I do it for fun.
Nope, you're a look at me whore!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #17
bruceolee
King of Rants

Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

In the end, what it all comes down to is having fun. No matter your method. We don't need some long thought out philosophy on this. It's just about having fun with our friends. Since we all live (for the most part) so far away from each other it's the next best thing to hanging out with your friends and sharing cigars amongst other things with each other. I can't go and meet Pnoon at my local B&M every saturday since he lives across the country so the next best thing is to send him some good cigars to smoke which i would give to him anyways if we could meet up regularly. In a way it's bonding with your friends the only way we can sometimes. I put up a thread not to say look at me but in the hopes it inspires someone to do it to there friends far away but by no means is anyone ever obligated. As I said in the beginning it's all for fun and that's all it should ever be. Some of us are ninja's and some of us are Churchills or Pattons.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
Whipper Snapper
95% Banter 5% MMM Habanos

First Name: Blake
Trading: (0)
RA
Whipper Snapper has disabled reputation

<--- I've had a lot of those bombs lately. Might have something to do with my diet though.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #19
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipper Snapper View Post
<--- I've had a lot of those bombs lately. Might have something to do with my diet though.
With those bombs you really should announce and warn people !!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #20
Whipper Snapper
95% Banter 5% MMM Habanos

First Name: Blake
Trading: (0)
RA
Whipper Snapper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
With those bombs you really should announce and warn people !!!!
There's usually a certain noise associated with them that alerts most folks.