Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #4041
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Photography Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #4042
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Old 10-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #4043
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

What's WRONG with the TREES?!!??!
They're all turning colors, the LEAVES are falling off.
How are they gonna survive without LEAVES!!!!!!!!!
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #4044
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

It's nice to have a nice color show before the dark, gray days of winter, though!

Let's add some water:

Old 10-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #4045
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 10-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #4046
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 10-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #4047
weems
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (1)
Cohiba
weems is on a distinguished road

My newest listing. I didn't have my camera on me so I was just gonna shoot it with my iPhone 6 and come back the next day for a better exterior shot, but I think it turned out pretty damned good.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #4048
azar
It is what it is!

First Name: Mack
Trading: (18)
azar is on a distinguished road

Mule deer from this morning in Wyoming

Old 10-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #4049
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Those are both very interesting for different reasons, Azar, nice to see you out shooting.

If you ever get a bit more of a drop on something, try shooting at 200mm for the sharpness and crop to get
the tighter shot. Easy to say if I didn't think this might be a D50. Its 6MP are beautiful, but they don't give you
much to crop from. But most 300mm zoom lenses aren't showing you their best at 300mm.

All that said, shooting wildlife is hit and miss to begin with. Hard to get a drop on anything in the wild.
I love the bounding buck, that's killer. I also like the horses way in the background of that wide shot.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:34 AM   #4050
azar
It is what it is!

Cool I will try it at 200m this time.
Mack
Old 11-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #4051
OLS
Suck It

Wonder how winter is for stunning shots of wildlife. I imagine it makes them more intent on soaking up sun and taking in
energy than expending it running away. Of course you have to shoot it both focal lengths, or else why have it? But yeah,
200 will render a sharer picture.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #4052
azar
It is what it is!

200m

300m

This last one was a shot that I didn't think I was going to get at all I had left my SD card in the computer at the house but then I remembered that I had a spare!!
Mack
Old 11-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #4053
CEC_Tech
Old CS Gorilla

First Name: Armando
Trading: (5)
RyJ
CEC_Tech is on a distinguished road

Those are fantastic shots. Coming from the desert, it's nice to see all that water and foliage. :-)
CEC_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #4054
OLS
Suck It

Love em...
Old 11-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #4055
OLS
Suck It

I have to say, Azar, I went over a LOT of options for you for lenses that are sharper, but for wildlife photography,
ON A NIKON D50!...those pics are fine. Pics can always be sharper, either from more expensive lenses or using
extreme shot discipline when you fire the shutter, to using a tripod or monopod when you shoot. What is going to hold
you back specifically on these long distance shots is crop-able resolution. I think. So while I would think hard about a
16 or 24MP body to give you that cropping leeway, I would try a few tricks to make my shots crisper that don't cost anything
while I am thinking about it. But I also mailed you a 5hit-ton of links to the kinds of camera bodies that will give you
the extra resolution, but also safely mount some really cheap, old sharp lenses. Because back in olden tymes, like
when I was in High school, people STILL wanted sharp photos. This is not a new thing. So those OLD lenses, short of
advanced coatings and special glass/special-shape elements, still have a lot of good shots to give up. Most Nikon
users can't use them without damaging the lens mount feelers. The cameras I linked you to all WILL mount them
without damage. SO think about all that. Possible upgrades, definite trigger discipline on the shutter, and some
support if you are not using it now.

There are also things to remember when judging your own work. Since you are likely shooting out of a truck,
or some transpo, remember that something called "seeing conditions" also hurts you when you are not RIGHT
there near the deer in a blind. Heat shimmer, airborne particulates, several things will make your view less effective.
That and a shutter speed at LEAST 1/400th at 200mm and 1/500th when at 300mm. The higher you push the
shutter speed, the less perceived blur will arise from your body/camera's lens swaying imperceptibly back and forth.

Last edited by OLS; 11-10-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #4056
OLS
Suck It

Don't say DUH too loud Azar, lol, but I want to show you something about a 24MP camera and a 6MP camera.
I am on record in this thread in saying that I LOVE 6MP Nikons. Gorgeous rendering of digital photos.

But visually it is easy to see what you need. Say this shot is a 24MP shot.....

You have 4 6MP shots in each 24MP shot, so 4 D50 shots in one D3200 shot. Once you pick your crop for
a 24MP shot, you can end up with AT LEAST the resolution of the a D50 in the end and have a zoomed in pic.

Again, DUH, right, but this is what I mean about a body upgrade. I love D50s, great little cameras. But it is VERY hard
to crop a shot from one. Especially in this case. SO if the first pic had been an actual 24mp SHOT FROM A d3200, You can
easily imagine what a 25% crop might look like....like a full resolution shot from a D50. But of course, what this IS is a a
D50 SIZE shot cut down to 25% of its actual area, so of course it is going to look like hell. But if you figure out a way to
get some more MPs in your hands, you'll solve half your issues.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #4057
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

To eliminate camera shake, if you can, use a tripod and use the self-timer set at 2 sec. Free vs. cost of wired cable release and you get the same result.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:03 AM   #4058
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
To eliminate camera shake, if you can, use a tripod and use the self-timer set at 2 sec. Free vs. cost of wired cable release and you get the same result.
That's what I do for night landscapes, set the timer....and I have a release, lol.
Well, anytime I am using a tripod I use the timer. Still not sure why I bought the release.
I knew about the timer before I ever considered the release. "Stuff Syndrome" I guess.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #4059
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Also, most cameras have a setting that locks the mirror up a couple of seconds or so before the shutter is released to prevent any further blur from vibration
Old 11-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #4060
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

First Name: Steve
Trading: (38)
LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough

D*mn it Brad! I go from having a cr*ppy little point and shoot, see your sale thread and now this is the list!

Bodies
Nikon D7000
Nikon D300S (gripped)

Lenses
18-55 VR
55-200 VR
50 f1.8
135 f2.8 MF
35-70 f2.8 AF
70-210 f4 AF
and growing....
Now if only I had time to use it all