Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-15-2018, 07:02 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Felipe Gregorio Dos Capas Churchill

Dos Capas, a more fitting name for this cigar isn’t available since its a barberpole cigar. This cigar popped up in the mid zeroes and I’m guessing I had this in my humidor since then. All I know is that the wrappers are Connecticut Shade and Sumatra and that the cigar is made on the Dominican Republic and, according to the Felipe Gregorio website, discontinued as the cigar is not to be found there.

Now I don’t know who gifted me this cigar and I also cannot tell why I haven’t smoked it yet. Maybe it’s the bad scores it got in Cigar Aficionado? Maybe because I disliked Connecticut Shade? Maybe it’s because it ended up on the bottom of a box? I don’t know, but since I was browsing my collection for cigars starting with an F for this month I noticed it and decided to review it.

The cigar looks cool, barber poles always do and the latte colored Connecticut and the chestnut colored Sumatra are a perfect contrast. The sumatra is a but smaller than the Connecticut parts. The ring has two shades of brown, with golden lines as barriers, a blue crest and crown and only mention initials F.G. and Capas. The Felipe Gregorio name is mentioned on the side of the cigars though. The construction feels good and the cigar is just beautifully finished. The cigar has a mild floral aroma.

I used a double guillotine cutter to decap the cigar. The cold draw is on the tight side of acceptable and I taste raw and slightly harsh tobacco. I lit the cigar with a soft flame, and the first flavor is sweet coffee and after a few puffs also some creamy chocolate, all mild and smooth. After an inch I taste wood, citrus and a faint chocolate. Later I taste just a little wood with a pleasant acidity and that taste doesn’t change at all until the final third when some mild pepper shows up. The last part is nice and woody with some spices.

The draw is a little tight but not tight enough to use a pick to unplug the cigar. The ash is gray, layered and dense. The burn is straight as an arrow. The smoke is medium in volume and pretty thin. This is a mild to medium cigar, medium flavored with a smoke time of an hour and forty five minutes.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, it’s boring. Only the last inch is nice.

Score: 83
https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...pas-churchill/