Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-30-2022, 11:00 AM   #3101
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinAZ View Post
Out here in Arizona, I'll run into 1792FB from time to time, but have never really taken a close look at the face for the "Binny" sticker. I'll attempt to be "more aware" next time I run across 1792...
Binny's is a chain in the Chicagoland area, Mark, you won't likely see it there. And it was this specific barrel, "Batch #3", that was so much better than any other 1792FP I've tried.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 01:28 PM   #3102
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Binny's is a chain in the Chicagoland area, Mark, you won't likely see it there. And it was this specific barrel, "Batch #3", that was so much better than any other 1792FP I've tried.
Gotcha!
Old 01-31-2023, 12:14 PM   #3103
Navydoc
Roll Tide!!!

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
RA Navy (Retired)
Navydoc is on a distinguished road

Grabbed a bottle of Stagg Jr at my navy package store for $47. Holly cow this is a great bourbon
Navydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:55 PM   #3104
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navydoc View Post
Grabbed a bottle of Stagg Jr at my navy package store for $47. Holly cow this is a great bourbon
Hell of a find! Those are getting harder and harder to find these days, and I refuse to pay the $250-$300+ others want for them but I sure do love em
Old 03-12-2023, 08:16 AM   #3105
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I grabbed a bottle of George Dickel Hand Selected Barrel to try. I've heard good things about it, at least for the higher proof offerings. The consensus (at least among the whiskey YT'ers I follow) seems to be that the ones below 100 proof aren't very interesting. This one's aged 9 years and at 103 proof, so we'll see...
Old 03-12-2023, 09:30 AM   #3106
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Hope it's good, James!

Opened my last Maker's Mark FAE-02 last night...and promptly secured another this morning.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-21-2023, 03:01 PM   #3107
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Opened my last Maker's Mark FAE-02 last night...and promptly secured another this morning.

]
And today I lucked into 2 bottles of the new MM Finished Series that has been hard to find in Illinois...along with a couple other bottles I don't see in the store often.

Old 04-22-2023, 04:27 PM   #3108
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Starting to build my collection. Hit up a local store and grabbed one of their Ezra Brooks Cask Strength store pick. It was between that or a George Remus store pick. Liked em both but the EB won out.

Tried a couple other stores but nothing interested me. Was on the way home and decided to stop at a smaller store I never knew was there. Only found it on google maps. Good selection. On a whim, asked if they had Blantons. Yup. As he was grabbing that from his secret stash, I asked if he had Eagle Rare. Yup. Paid a bit over msrp, but figured they’ll last me a while. And you can’t find them around here.
Old 04-24-2023, 07:39 AM   #3109
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Nice pickups on the Blanton's and Eagle Rare, Bob. I used to luck into a Blanton's at MSRP a couple times a year, but i dont remember getting one for at least a year now.

This was my weekend pickup, I'm super stoked to try it after hearing lots of good things.

Old 04-24-2023, 07:46 AM   #3110
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Nice pickups on the Blanton's and Eagle Rare, Bob. I used to luck into a Blanton's at MSRP a couple times a year, but i dont remember getting one for at least a year now.

This was my weekend pickup, I'm super stoked to try it after hearing lots of good things.

Let Us Know Your Tasting Notes, Tom!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 07:49 AM   #3111
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Let Us Know Your Tasting Notes, Tom!
Absolutely Greg, I'm planning on cracking this bad boy tomorrow night.

Old 04-24-2023, 07:56 AM   #3112
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Starting to build my collection. Hit up a local store and grabbed one of their Ezra Brooks Cask Strength store pick. It was between that or a George Remus store pick. Liked em both but the EB won out.

Tried a couple other stores but nothing interested me. Was on the way home and decided to stop at a smaller store I never knew was there. Only found it on google maps. Good selection. On a whim, asked if they had Blantons. Yup. As he was grabbing that from his secret stash, I asked if he had Eagle Rare. Yup. Paid a bit over msrp, but figured they’ll last me a while. And you can’t find them around here.
Good stuff all around, I just grabbed a Remus pick a couple weeks ago and really like it. Nice find on the secret stash, last time somebody let me in the back office to see what they had hidden I left empty handed, and also haven't been back

Quote:

Where is mine?

My brother is having a bourbon and cigar bar at his wedding, asked me to help stock the bourbon. We ended up with 3 handles of Weller Special Reserve, five 750's of Buffalo Trace store picks and a bottle of Blanton's Gold. Should be a good time
Old 04-24-2023, 08:09 AM   #3113
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post

Where is mine?
I had to trade way above MSRP to get this one, it immediately hit $280-300 on secondary here. It's almost like I hope I don't like it too much....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns
My brother is having a bourbon and cigar bar at his wedding, asked me to help stock the bourbon. We ended up with 3 handles of Weller Special Reserve, five 750's of Buffalo Trace store picks and a bottle of Blanton's Gold. Should be a good time
Nice!

Old 04-24-2023, 08:10 AM   #3114
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
I have liked the EB Cask Strength barrels I have tried, and the price is still reasonable on those and the Rebel CS picks.

I have a Remus pick from one of the local groups but still haven't opened it. I'll have to rectify that soon.

Old 04-24-2023, 08:25 AM   #3115
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
I have liked the EB Cask Strength barrels I have tried, and the price is still reasonable on those and the Rebel CS picks.

I have a Remus pick from one of the local groups but still haven't opened it. I'll have to rectify that soon.
Got word that our local group is getting access to a WFP pick, only catch is you have to buy a EB or Rebel pick to go with it. I always tend to go Rebel, I might switch things up this time, but neither are bottles I'm going to be mad I had to buy
Old 04-24-2023, 10:00 AM   #3116
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Ok, what’s the word on the MM special releases? Granted it was probably 15 years ago when I did the tour at the distillery, but they said back then they weren’t going to do special releases, single barrels, etc. That was back when those were just starting. Guess money wins out.
Old 04-24-2023, 10:29 AM   #3117
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Ok, what’s the word on the MM special releases? Granted it was probably 15 years ago when I did the tour at the distillery, but they said back then they weren’t going to do special releases, single barrels, etc. That was back when those were just starting. Guess money wins out.
That was always their thing... until everybody else started doing them. A few years ago they started doing 1-2 annual special releases, sometimes because the bourbon was aged differently/from a specific part of the warehouse and sometimes just because the batch tasted a little different. This years I think is just a stave finish, which is what they do for their single barrel program

Essentially, for the single barrels they still say that all makers tastes the same as all other makers because rotation, etc. but they let stores and groups "finish" a barrel with 10 different staves, I think there are 6 or 7 options, and you choose the recipe you want (ex/ 2x mocha staves, 4x toasted french and 4x cuvee). Makers then finished the barrel in your combo for a bit and sends you the barrel worth. It was their compromise since they don't think any barrel tastes unique enough to be different from a regular batch of Makers
Old 04-24-2023, 11:33 AM   #3118
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
That was always their thing... until everybody else started doing them. A few years ago they started doing 1-2 annual special releases, sometimes because the bourbon was aged differently/from a specific part of the warehouse and sometimes just because the batch tasted a little different. This years I think is just a stave finish, which is what they do for their single barrel program

Essentially, for the single barrels they still say that all makers tastes the same as all other makers because rotation, etc. but they let stores and groups "finish" a barrel with 10 different staves, I think there are 6 or 7 options, and you choose the recipe you want (ex/ 2x mocha staves, 4x toasted french and 4x cuvee). Makers then finished the barrel in your combo for a bit and sends you the barrel worth. It was their compromise since they don't think any barrel tastes unique enough to be different from a regular batch of Makers
Thanks for the explanation. I’ll keep an eye out for them.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:48 AM   #3119
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I'd gladly buy an Ezra or Rebel pick to get a WFP at a regular price, Ben. All I get here is ones offered on secondary for stupid money.

Bob, Ben gave you the skinny on the MMs, better than I could have. I will say that the 2021 FAE-02 is my favorite Maker's of all time.

Old 04-28-2023, 02:17 PM   #3120
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Did a little more hunting this afternoon. Went to a new to me store and got a bottle of MM cask strength. They didn’t have the special releases. Went back to the store I got my Blantons from last week and snagged a Weller 107. (Drinking some right now. Really enjoying it). Went to a third store, this one with a large selection. They had just gotten a big shipment of allocated stuff in. Baby Blantons and Eagle Rare, Weller 107 and SR, plus a lot more. Crazy prices though. $130 for the Weller. Umm, no. Left there after trying a couple of their store picks. The MM SRT, not good. Their Old Forester was super tasty, but at $130 a bottle wasn’t gonna happen.