Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-10-2023, 06:09 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Caldwell Long Live the Queen

OK, I am hoping that FOR ONCE I am the first to get a new cigar here on this board.

I haven't smoked one yet, but I have already given one away. I probably shouldn't have bought any of them, but I have thoroughly enjoyed every Caldwell I have had to this point, and this has my all-time favorite wrapper, a Cameroon. So, I got a box.

It is my intention to review it right here in this thread as soon as I get around to it.

It is the Caldwell Long Live the Queen Robusto Queens's Court (5X52).

I just thought I'd start a thread to get a little interest going in this place.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Last edited by RevSmoke; 01-10-2023 at 06:21 PM.
RevSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:32 AM   #2
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Caldwell Long Live the Queen

I’d be curious to hear your thoughts as well, never even heard of this cigar
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:34 AM   #3
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I Like The Cameroon Wrapper, Too, Todd. Looking Forward To Your Review!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:39 AM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Looking forward to your review Todd, curious about how those Cameroon wrappers will perform. Love lots of Caldwell stuff.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 10:10 AM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
I’d be curious to hear your thoughts as well, never even heard of this cigar
It is a brand, spanking, new release.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:26 PM   #6
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Those JUST hit the market. I’m definitely interested
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 01:01 PM   #7
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

That looks like a pretty dang nice cigar. Love the packaging.

Wrappers look great.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:51 AM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Caldwell Long Live The Queen Robusto Queen's
(5x52 robusto)
Caldwell’s own description: This Caldwell Long Live The Queen Robusto Queen's Court cigar is made in Dominican Republic. Outside, you'll find a Reddish Brown Cameroon wrapper. Inside, the binder is Indonesian Sumatra, and the filler is Nicaraguan, Dominican. The Caldwell Long Live The Queen Robusto Queen's Court is a Medium-Full Bodied Robusto shaped cigar with a length of 5.00 and a ring gauge of 52.

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: Handsome bands contrast beautifully with the caramel colored, slightly oily, wrapper. Wonderful slight toothiness shows the evidence of a Cameroon wrapper.

Score for aesthetics: 4.8

2) Pre-light Construction: No soft spots, nor overly firm bumps appear. Taking a V-cut, and a comfortable draw is evidenced. Been a while since I had a Cameroon on the lips, but it's clear that this is exactly what it is. Pre-light draw seems to evidence hints of that typical Caldwell flavors, but different at the same time. I think I'm going to enjoy this.

Score for Pre-light construction: 4.7

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: As expected, the draw is as expected, comfortable - not too tight, not overly free, providing enough smoke to be very enjoyable. White and tight is the best descriptor for the ash. The burn is not razor tight, but it's fairly even. Ooops, I may have spoken too soon as a slight run developed, but a quick application of a single flame torch fixes the issue.

Ash hung on for about an inch and a half, falling un-surreptitiously onto my lap.

Score for post-light construction: 3.6

4) Flavor and strength: At the first draw after the light, and I'm thinking this is really powerful. It quickly mellows, becoming much milder. There is some incredible complexity. There is the rich taste of wonderful tobacco, slight spice comes through. Baking rich banana nut bread comes to mind as that rich sweetness from the wrapper comes through. Given the 52 ring gauge, I was wondering if the bunch was going to overpower The Cameroon, very happy that is evidently not the case.

Horror of horrors, about halfway through, the freshness of this cigar made itself known with some bitterness. A purge cleaned it up and brought back the original flavors. But, a number of other purges were necessary.

This is not a mild cigar, but it isn’t strong either. There is a nice complexity trying to dominate. Slight burn in the retrohale, but nice notes of caramel and cinnamon also make their presence known when doing so.

Score for flavor and strength: 3.3

5) Aftertaste/Finish: The finish is not harsh, lingering only for a moment. It has a tobacco richness to it, with hints of white pepper and caramel.

Score for aftertaste: 4.1

6) Aroma: Rich tobacco and something along the lines of banana nut bread come to mind.

Score for aroma: 4.3

7) General Comments: Like I said above, there was some bitterness that developed, required a number of purges. It has wonderful flavors… BUT… it comes off to me as being obviously young and in need of some serious humidor time…(at least that is what I am hoping). I nubbed this cigar with almost an inch and a half of it left, I was no longer enjoying the bitterness that kept creeping in. A friend with me noted the action and questioned me, “Not enjoying it? Seems like you NEVER toss a cigar with that much left.” And he was absolutely correct.

Overall score for the cigar: 2.4 (this is a lower score than you might expect because of the much more positive numbers above. I base this score upon the fact that after having smoked one (and yes I know that basing a rating on the sample of 1 is not the best practice), I really want to like these, so I will give them another opportunity…but only after a good 6 months in the humidor – or more.

8) Recommendation: I want to recommend these, as there are some incredibly nice flavors evident -AND- I have not had a bad Caldwell to date, I figure these should as well. But, that time has not yet come. Of course, this is all subjectively the opinion of only one man, and that one man has been known to be wrong. If you can get one to try, do so. And if your experience is different from mine, please send me a note and let me know – I have a few more to try.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:44 PM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Some more pics... not the best, but...

Old 01-17-2023, 01:11 PM   #10
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Great Review, Todd!. Let Us Know How They Are 6 Months From Now.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:10 AM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Appreciate the review, Todd, hope they're even better going forward.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 01-18-2023, 12:31 PM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Great Review, Todd!. Let Us Know How They Are 6 Months From Now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Appreciate the review, Todd, hope they're even better going forward.
It is my hope to do so.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:15 AM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Small Batch has a 20% off coupon for Caldwell today, code "CIHO". They have several sizes of the Long Live the Queen available.

Old 02-28-2023, 04:49 PM   #14
HighSierraSmokin
Keep Smilin'

First Name: Matt
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
HighSierraSmokin is on a distinguished road

Great review! I'm gonna have to try one. Wish I could buy from SB but they are in the same damn state as I am and Gavinor Gruesome likes his tax dollars.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:38 PM   #15
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSierraSmokin View Post
Great review! I'm gonna have to try one. Wish I could buy from SB but they are in the same damn state as I am and Gavinor Gruesome likes his tax dollars.
Oh yeah, and my favorite haunt in Sacramento finally succumbed. Briar Patch flicked it in about 5 years ago.

Tower is still hanging in there.

Buying from SB had to go away at the time but I’m NV now hah.

I generally do Cigar King, Atlantic, Fox Cigar, Nomad, Ezra Zion and associated EZ sites like Nomad. SB doesn’t seem as unique to myself as it once was but that is just my opinion.

FUMARE for all my B&M cigars.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:27 AM   #16
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

I have been curious in these as I have become a fan of Caldwell lately...

Thanks for the review, I will be on the hunt for these.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:54 AM   #17
HighSierraSmokin
Keep Smilin'

First Name: Matt
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
HighSierraSmokin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weelok View Post
Oh yeah, and my favorite haunt in Sacramento finally succumbed. Briar Patch flicked it in about 5 years ago.

Tower is still hanging in there.

Buying from SB had to go away at the time but I’m NV now hah.

I generally do Cigar King, Atlantic, Fox Cigar, Nomad, Ezra Zion and associated EZ sites like Nomad. SB doesn’t seem as unique to myself as it once was but that is just my opinion.

FUMARE for all my B&M cigars.
RIP Briar Patch. BIH Newsom.

SB gets a lot of stuff that is hard to find, and I'm not the type that only smokes certain brands. I try 'em all! SB has the best COTM by a mile imho.
I do buy from Atlantic, Cfed, and Famous. Ruiz, Fumare and Lagrone in Reno for my B&M stuff.

Have you been to Lagrone's yet Dave? He doesn't have much. I get the Ponce Sumatra's from him. Killer smoke!