Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
thechrisdotcom

Trading: (2)
thechrisdotcom has disabled reputation
Default Shipping to Canada

How long does it take to send something to Canada using USPS?

I sent something out like 2 weeks ago and the package I sent still hasn't made it to the other person's end. I've never sent anything to Canada before using USPS, just curious how long it should actually take. Their site said 6-10 business days, but I don't know if Customs holds packages longer or what.
thechrisdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping to Canada

First question is, where in Canada?
I ask because if it is to a major metropolitan area, I would say 10 to 14 days subtracting the weekend because our system grinds to a halt....
If it is going to a 'out of the way' part of the frozen north.... well lets just say longer....
Secondly, what was the declaration? If 'tobacco' in any way shape or form was mentioned.... it will be held up by Customs. They can and do take their own sweet time....
Old 09-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
thechrisdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
First question is, where in Canada?
I ask because if it is to a major metropolitan area, I would say 10 to 14 days subtracting the weekend because our system grinds to a halt....
If it is going to a 'out of the way' part of the frozen north.... well lets just say longer....
Secondly, what was the declaration? If 'tobacco' in any way shape or form was mentioned.... it will be held up by Customs. They can and do take their own sweet time....
It wasn't cigars. It's just going to one of the major provinces.

I've never shipped to CA before this time. It was a bit strange. Asks you all these questions and bla bla bla. I think it said you're safe to send cigars, had a list of rules and stuff. I can't remember. I think I remember it saying you can just as long as you follow the guidelines or something.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

They won't stop cigars coming in, but they will assess duties on them. Most items shipped to me (Vancouver) from pretty much anywhere in the US via First Class International or Priority International tend to take between 10 - 12 business days. Like DMK said though, depends on where in Canada you shipped to. A major city like Vancouver or Toronto will be much faster than a smaller town like Kelowna or Barry simply because the major centres are mail distribution hubs and don't require additional day(s) of driving to get mail into.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I've sent Priority and made it in less than a week!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
I've sent Priority and made it in less than a week!
Same here. I ship beads to Canada all the time.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

I've had stuff arrive in 2 - 3 days, and other stuff take 2 to 3 weeks. As I recall the beads I ordered from you took about 5 days, but we're not that far apart geographically. Orders from Taboo in Texas would typically take 10 business days.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Normal is around 10-14 days, business days that is.....also we had a holiday Monday and that will add some time. Plus we don't get weekend delivery here.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
They won't stop cigars coming in, but they will assess duties on them. Most items shipped to me (Vancouver) from pretty much anywhere in the US via First Class International or Priority International tend to take between 10 - 12 business days. Like DMK said though, depends on where in Canada you shipped to. A major city like Vancouver or Toronto will be much faster than a smaller town like Kelowna or Barry simply because the major centres are mail distribution hubs and don't require additional day(s) of driving to get mail into.
if the pkg contains said cigars and is labeled something else, customs decides to open it and it's not what is labeled, kiss the pkg goodbye....this is the new norm for customs now.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
thechrisdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sailor View Post
if the pkg contains said cigars and is labeled something else, customs decides to open it and it's not what is labeled, kiss the pkg goodbye....this is the new norm for customs now.
So if you just label it cigars, are you safe?

When I shipped my package, I just said what it was and then it's value. I didn't ship cigars though, so I don't see a problem.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

Labelling cigars as such will just mean the receiver may need to pay taxes and/or duty on the value. With commercial shipments that'd be easy to determine as they usually have invoices. With private sales or gifts I expect they just base it off the declared value unless it's obviously mis-declared.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #12
mash
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
mash is on a distinguished road

The fact that a package is labeled as cigars does not necessarily mean it will be opened and assessed. Customs doesn't read the label on every package that comes through.
mash is offline   Reply With Quote