Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
D. Generate
El Dudarino

First Name: Dale
Trading: (1)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
D. Generate is on a distinguished road
Default In praise of smoking alone

I don't post here too often and don't know most of the folks here. I came here from CS when that all went pear shaped, but to be honest the last couple years I wasn't even posting there that often.

I moved to London from Reno in January 2007 and that was a fair bit of a lifestyle change. I fell out of touch with a lot of friends and people I care about as that kind of geographical shift will require. I don't regret the move as I married my true love, 17 years after we first dated, broke up, married other people, divorced, and eventually, reconnected. Still, the expat life takes some getting used to and accepting certain, inevitable changes.

2011 has been a very hard year so far. My mother passed away last month and I had to go home to help take care of my father and find a place where he could live and have the medical care he needs. I've had a couple accidents breaking bones, etc, that have limited me in doing things I am passionate about. The most recent last Friday leaving me in the hospital for six days and requiring an operation that will likely have significant ramifications that further limit me.

I hope the worst is past and am now trying to focus on a positive future. My wife is pregnant and we are expecting our first son on Halloween, which I am very excited about. I am currently off work recovering today, and a bit doped-up on opiates, which probably influences to a degree why I'm even writing this.

I have finally been feeling physically well enough to smoke and get back to things. I have had a Cohiba Lancero and am currently smoking a Bolivar Gold Medal. While a cigar doesn't make all things better, there is something about smoking alone when there is a lot on the mind that helps lend a needed perspective. I have spent today sending emails that I am far too behind on, and getting back in touch with friends and family that I have neglected. Enjoying a nice cigar and watching the smoke curl away lends a pleasant, meditative quality to the solitary herf.

As much as I enjoy smoking with friends, this bit of time alone with a cigar has been the best this year.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: In praise of smoking alone

Hope things look up for your health. Sorry to hear about your mom.

I know this is a thread about solidarity, but have you tried to find any local inmates to herf with?

Personally I don't smoke alone too often. I prefer the company of other cigar smokers. I do however appreciate the calm quiet and time to reflect when I do smoke alone.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I miss you when you're not around, Dale, you were the first gorilla to extend a paw to me at Club Stogie. My condolences on your loss, and my hopes that things continue to look up for you...always.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I miss you when you're not around, Dale, you were the first gorilla to extend a paw to me at Club Stogie. My condolences on your loss, and my hopes that things continue to look up for you...always.
It's nice to be able to use that smily with conviction.

Dale it's nice to see you resurface. Sorry about your loss and recent injuries. Solitary is good forthe soul at times. Too much makes the soul a bit odd. Find some "chums" to mix it up a bit over a pint.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

You might be surprised at how many of us remember you. And an even greater number wish the best for you. Dale, I occasionally smoke alone and enjoy the time to reflect. But I think a speak for some when I say to reach out to us when you can. The support from the Asylum is huge.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Best wishes on a turnaround for the rest of the year! Best of wishes on the new addition also.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
You might be surprised at how many of us remember you. And an even greater number wish the best for you. Dale, I occasionally smoke alone and enjoy the time to reflect. But I think a speak for some when I say to reach out to us when you can. The support from the Asylum is huge.
Agreed! Besides, who could ever forget the Lemmy avatar(s).
Old 07-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Generate View Post
... Enjoying a nice cigar and watching the smoke curl away lends a pleasant, meditative quality to the solitary herf.

As much as I enjoy smoking with friends, this bit of time alone with a cigar has been the best this year.
Well said... and I agree. Sometimes a solitary, contemplative smoke can have restorative effects rarely experienced elsewhere.

Prayers for a speedy recovery and for peace in your life.
Congratulations on the coming child!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

Sometimes a person needs to laugh it up and have a good time in the company of good friends and a smoke. Sometimes a person needs to sit, reflect and talk to their favorite tree, the cigar smoke, or whatever will have a serious conversation with them. Balance in life. Good to "see" you again Dale. Congrats on your son, condolences for your parents, and get well soon. ENJOY.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
mash
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
mash is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your well thought out post. Sorry about your loss and misfortune, I hope your health and function bounce back.
I agree with your sentiment, sometimes the peace and quiet of solitude and a cigar can be great.
Congrats on the pregnancy.
mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

All the best to you and your wife- and congrats on the next generation!

Indeed, I smoke alone almost everyday, it does give one time to ponder! But, I must say that a herf is the most enjoyable thing- maybe because I don't attend more than about one a month. I think all the bros here will agree that the Shack Herf is about the bestest thing in the cigar universe.

Prayers sent for a full and rapid recovery!
Old 07-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Remo
C.I.A

Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Great post Dale and hope all looks up for you, but the birth of your child is exciting and best wishes to you and your family. And with your avatar, you had me from hello
Old 07-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #13
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Imagine smoking like that ALL THE TIME my brother...Still, having a woman around at times would be better, I think, lol.
Always good to see you post and would hope that you increase and never stop. There was a time that I remember when
you were really active, and of course, that was when we started talking a little way back when. Made me go out and
dig up more on Lemmy, haha. I hope that your family grows effortlessly and without drama and upheaval.
Sorry about your family affairs, that is always tough, I know. Haven't had to deal with it in 20 years, but not having
my father since then is not so hot. I was a dumb kid who could have cared less about hanging around him and learning
at his side when he was alive. And now I am living my penance.

Hope they do not accuse you of being one of them new-fangled human bombs when you cross borders.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #14
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

I smoke alone almost every day, and enjoy the time and quiet

Hope things turn around and improve for you personally
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Sorry for your loss and your injuries but a big congrats on the baby!!! That is a life changing event that I'm thankful for everyday. I too smoke alone, mainly cause no one around here appreciates a good cigar.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Prayers sent for a full and rapid recovery!
Good ta see ya back posting!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #17
Kneo
The Second One

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (3)
Kneo will become famous soon enough

I agree on the smoking alone. I love sitting out on my deck with a cigar and drink in hand. Nothing relaxes me more and it gives me a chance to sit and collect my thoughts

Hope you are feeling better soon. Stay strong brother. Also stay thirsty my friend
Old 07-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #18
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

I remember you from C.S and it's good to see you around again. Time heals all wounds.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #19
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

good to see you posting again Dale, sorry about all the troubles you had to go to, but there's light at the end of the tunnel, a new life in the near future. Do you still live in London?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #20
D. Generate
El Dudarino

First Name: Dale
Trading: (1)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
D. Generate is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies and kind words, they are appreciated. What I loved about CS was the community and genuine camaraderie I felt with people that I had never actually met. It's amazing, and a real testament to the people here, that this has only been improved at CA.

Everyone has rough spots in life and while I was being a bit pensive and melancholy yesterday, I know I am a very fortunate man in many ways. Not the least of which is having found the community here. It's nice to be around more often again.

Today the sun is shining and I'm going to meet a mate for a cigar in a beer garden.