Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #301
ir13
PSHC - T1nyH@

Trading: (44)
HUpmann
ir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2012

I personally want to see a KState v Bama NC game, bc i think that would yield the best game, but we will see in the coming weeks.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #302
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

I can't say much about K-State or Oregon, I only watch them on Saturdays if there aren't any games on that matter. But there is much more hype concerning Oregon's offense and their new shiny helmets, this irritates me and for that reason I'd like to see them play for the NC against an SEC team.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #303
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Its a shame but its true....The best game, or the best chance to see some hype come crumbling down?
I hate to say it, but I'd rather see the team that stands to look the worst for losing to the galactic empire,
er, bama. That means Oregon....to me anyway. Imagine the blowup that would occur if it is not KState, though.
Although it is far too early to annoint anyone, and this ain't the I hate the BCS thread..
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #304
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
I can't say much about K-State or Oregon, I only watch them on Saturdays if there aren't any games on that matter. But there is much more hype concerning Oregon's offense and their new shiny helmets, this irritates me and for that reason I'd like to see them play for the NC against an SEC team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Its a shame but its true....The best game, or the best chance to see some hype come crumbling down?
I hate to say it, but I'd rather see the team that stands to look the worst for losing to the galactic empire,
er, bama. That means Oregon....to me anyway. Imagine the blowup that would occur if it is not KState, though.
Although it is far too early to annoint anyone, and this ain't the I hate the BCS thread..
This is how I feel about Oregon. Nothing really against them for any good reason other than the fact that I hate their nose up swagger. Almost like the stuck up jerks in high school that think they are better than everyone else. It is just fun to watch them fail and fail hard. Plus the fans are alway jibber jabbering about SEC bias. Fine....here is your chance. I feel the same about ND. Just do not care about K-State. Actually, on of my co-workers played QB for them a million years ago so that could be fun.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #305
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

So I'm confused, maybe someone can help me out. I keep hearing how Oregon pulled off a big win and scored more points on USC than anyone, ever. Nobody is talking about how USC scored more points against Oregon than they had scored against anyone all season.

How are the Oregon folks not considering that game a colossal defensive failure that they could have easily lost? If anything that game should send them down in the BCS rankings and prove that they would get killed by a team with a good defense as well as a good offense.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #306
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If anything that game should send them down in the BCS rankings and prove that they would get killed by a team with a good defense as well as a good offense.
This is the real point, one I didn't even consider....I am just too busy chuckling at the wider picture.
There are likely better teams down below that are better on the whole.

I think the metric that emerges is the fact that neither of them can stop 5hi+ from happening.
(was this OT by the way?? that often drives up a score)---edit---OUCH, regulation.
Teams always assume, or their fans do anyway, that hanging 60 on someone is a real indicator of
how they would whip team x's a55. To me it only speaks to the defense of the team they played.
But you know homers, they extrapolate that into hanging 50 on bama and off we go. Homers are
fine, I are one, but sometimes the crimson-colored glasses or the purple contacts can get in the
way of hard facts and cold reality. Or even common sense. But I do know one thing, and that is
that it makes a championship game impossible to ignore, at least for me. I'd like to boycott the
galactic empire in their coronation ceremony, but I know I will have to watch it just to see the
carnage.

Last edited by OLS; 11-06-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #307
OLS
Suck It

Poor Mississippi State.
Jeezus, I almost can't watch this weekend.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #308
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

My wife summed it up very well while we were watching A&M dismantle Mississippi state, she said "Poor Mississippi State they thought they could play with big people."

I'll be watching this weekend, I knew Mississippi state was overrated because of a schedule that turned out to be very easy, but I didn't realize how badly they'd get destroyed by quality teams.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #309
OLS
Suck It

What shocked me was HOW they get destroyed. Look at a few of the runs from the A&M game, they are standing
around and people are running by them. It reminds me of my nephew playing soccer as a kid, he could not grasp
the concept of running to where the ball would BE, he would run towards the kicker, and I am screaming on the
sideline. My sister was not happy. But hell they didn't take angles either, they just stood there as if to say
'that guy is too fast for me to run after." They are not a BAD team, not sure if they quit trying after the empire
got in their heads a few weeks ago.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #310
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

Well their fans did hang an "I believe" sign on the statue in Tuscaloosa. Maybe the Bama game was a little too much reality for them and they gave up. If so I'd say they are a worse team than I thought they were.

I don't think that's the case though. If they had just given up against A&M I think the game would have been even worse. Truth is they didn't really have the talent from the get-go, and were lucky enough to play the bottom of the barrel in the SEC.

They were fun to root for (until they played Bama of course). But in the end just not a great team this year. If they stop getting obliterated they could end up a 2 loss team. As it stands I think they'll be a 4 loss team, possibly 5 but Arkansas is a bit closer to teams they've already beaten, so that one could go either way. I could be way off base though, after the Tennessee and the USC game I more or less wrote Georgia off, and look at them.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #311
OLS
Suck It

This whole SEC season has been nothing BUT "well, I didn't see THAT coming..."
I can rattle of a dozen instances. I GUESS that's good, but three of em are LSU, lol.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #312
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

It's been pretty much business as usual for Bama, that LSU game was a major hiccup but I think it's going to have beneficial effects overall. We'll see against A&M.

I'm surprised frankly at the level of inconsistency in the SEC this year, the major players are all sort of hit or miss (The rest are just miss), and a few games have been surprising because one of the teams didn't show up to play. I mean who could have imagined Florida vs Georgia would have 9 turnovers and 24 penalties, it was embarrassing.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #313
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
It's been pretty much business as usual for Bama, that LSU game was a major hiccup but I think it's going to have beneficial effects overall. We'll see against A&M.

I'm surprised frankly at the level of inconsistency in the SEC this year, the major players are all sort of hit or miss (The rest are just miss), and a few games have been surprising because one of the teams didn't show up to play. I mean who could have imagined Florida vs Georgia would have 9 turnovers and 24 penalties, it was embarrassing.
No coincidence that both of those were huge rivalry games w/SEC division titles on the line. Crazy sh*t always happens

Definitely agree w/your sentiment that a close, come from behind win is gonna help Bama in the long run. Now there more confident and battle-tested if another game goes down to the wire
Old 11-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #314
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

From Fake David Bazzel on Twitter:

BREAKING NEWS: Tyrann Mathieu looking to transfer to University of Colorado. Stated needed to be closer to family. Mainly his Aunt Mary Jane

Old 11-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #315
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
From Fake David Bazzel on Twitter:

BREAKING NEWS: Tyrann Mathieu looking to transfer to University of Colorado. Stated needed to be closer to family. Mainly his Aunt Mary Jane

Old 11-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #316
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
Definitely agree w/your sentiment that a close, come from behind win is gonna help Bama in the long run. Now there more confident and battle-tested if another game goes down to the wire
What I would be more worried about if I was a bama fan would be the perennial "We know how to beat them now"
routine out of A&M...they are hot enough to hang with bama for a time, could they also now be informed enough to
pull the upset? Too hard for me to say, I am well outside the universe of the Capstone, but it does give me hope
that they can be beaten, and in fact, I look forward to the possibility. That said, if anything it will be another squeaker.

I can also confirm the Mathieu story, in fact I already put the deposit down on our apartment. I just gotta move my plants.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #317
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
What I would be more worried about if I was a bama fan would be the perennial "We know how to beat them now"
routine out of A&M...they are hot enough to hang with bama for a time, could they also now be informed enough to
pull the upset? Too hard for me to say, I am well outside the universe of the Capstone, but it does give me hope
that they can be beaten, and in fact, I look forward to the possibility. That said, if anything it will be another squeaker.

I can also confirm the Mathieu story, in fact I already put the deposit down on our apartment. I just gotta move my plants.
I doubt it, A&M is good but I don't think Saban will sit back and let our defense get shredded while blitzing on 3rd the whole second half again. Thing about information is it goes both ways, A&M might have seen a chink in the Bama defense, but so did our guys, and you can bet it'll be addressed. At least I hope so.

Remember LSU had a whole week to prepare for Bama and basically changed their entire offensive strategy, they were playing their arch-rivals at home which happens to be one of the most hostile environments in football, and Mettenberger had some sort of epiphany and played his best game ever. Bama was caught off guard to put it mildly, I don't think A&M will be able to pull off the same trick. If they do manage to catch us off guard they aren't as talented as LSU, they don't have hearts full of hate and bile giving them the strength of 10 men, and THEY are going to be the ones in the hostile environment. It would take a minor miracle for them to pull off the upset, but who knows, strange things happens on Saturdays in November.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #318
OLS
Suck It

I am not saying it is gonna happen, I am just saying that there is no one left who CAN do it, this is the last,
best chance. If it DID happen, that's the WAY it would happen, something they saw, something they
whink they can get away with. But that's for points....you still gotta defend, something they have not
shown great aptitude for.

And I hate to bring this up, I already wore out my welcome with Rizzle with it, lol, but bama had two weeks
to prepare for LSU in 2011 and still lost, so sometimes it matters, sometimes its just a stat. Either way I will
be watching tomorrow. It's like a car wreck in slo-mo, you just gotta watch. Will I drive to a bar to see LSU
and State?...Ehh, maybe not. I'm too cheap to have cable, So it's me and Verne & Gary or nothing.

Last edited by OLS; 11-09-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #319
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

A week of rest and prep always matters, it's always an opportunity, in this case you can see that LSU changed their whole offensive strategy for the Bama game and caught us by surprise. Thanks in no small part to Mettenberger, but you have to give the coaches credit too. What I'm trying to say is the fact that Bama had a week last year and didn't utilize it effectively enough (Obviously last year they should have practiced kicking haha) isn't relevant to what happened this year, after all lots of teams lose coming off a Bye week.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #320
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
in this case you can see that LSU changed their whole offensive strategy for the Bama game and caught us by surprise.
You've said that twice and I am still not sure I follow you. We ran the same running plays we always run
and did it pretty effectively. The only thing I saw different was a little more faith in Mettenberger passing
intelligently and maybe there were a few more pass patterns as a result, i.e. more than twin hitch patterns
on either side. We kept so many guys in to block it was hardly possible. We always take 2-3 shots at the
long ball and hope for the best. I am getting the impression you think of this as Rocky coming at Ivan Drago
as a southpaw or something. The only surprise to me was how able we were to run on bama and how hard
it was for you to move the ball for 3 quarters. THAT was a surprise.