Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (0)
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road
Default Random road trip musings

So I just got back from a week an a half road to Niagara Falls and around the north east (Canada, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Pennsylvania) and I just wanted to share a few things that have been bouncing around in my head.

First of all, if you love cigars and didn't do everything you could in relation to the FDA commenting period and email your government representatives, go to Canada for a few days and check out some B&Ms. Ask them about their restrictions on how then can sell and display products. I truly feel bad for our Canadian brothers and sisters. A trip to Gordons in Niagara left me feeling depressed. Sam, the owner, was exceptionally nice, his stock of CC's was good, but you can tell it used to be bigger. His shop was nice but I was the only one there at 1 pm on a Saturday. You can also tell it used to be a much bigger shop. You can't smoke in the shop. He said he has to keep the humidor dark when no one is inside to comply with regulations. Apparently it's for kids to see god knows what online, but seeing a cigar through a shop window will rot their minds. I paid $70 for 2 RASS, extremely expensive but worth it to me to support a seemingly wonderful B&M owner who is being crushed by regulations and taxes. If we don't fight the FDA tooth and nail, that can be us here in the states.

Secondly, our last stop was CI in Hamburg, PA. Awesome lounge/bar/shop. I wish I lived there. This may be something that most of you know about but was total news to me. In the shop there was what they called the Blend Lab. (more info here: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/c...lendlab/about/ ) They have no branding and all the band has on it is two letters (which I'm not sure what they mean) and the length and ring gauge (example TU-7250). They will tell you what the wrapper, binder and filler all are and country of origin, but that is it. They say that it is used as a test bed for new blends, popular ones end up being branded and sold. I always love looking for new cigars and this seems like an awesome idea. I picked up quite a few to try if I ever have a minute now that its back to reality. Just wanted to try and spread the word to those who might find it interesting.

Finally, unrelated to cigars, I don't mind a ton of toll roads or even high tolls (one was $17 I think) but spend the damn money on repairing the roads!!! I think it dislocated my spine a few times..
jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Random road trip musings

Well I was just at CI in Hamburg on Saturday for my Birthday. The blend lab is a really neat place to pick up some quality smokes, they are pretty hit or miss. I live about 30 mins for there so I have been there a bunch, glad you liked it. Welcome to Pa
Old 07-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (0)
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Random road trip musings

Quote:
Originally Posted by czerbe View Post
Well I was just at CI in Hamburg on Saturday for my Birthday. The blend lab is a really neat place to pick up some quality smokes, they are pretty hit or miss. I live about 30 mins for there so I have been there a bunch, glad you liked it. Welcome to Pa
Thanks. I figured it would be hit or miss, but that's half the fun!
jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote