Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #461
cigarz

Default Re-lighting a cigar

How long can a half smoked cigar sit before you have to throw it away, rather than finish it?

Mike
Old 01-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #462
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Re-lighting a cigar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarz View Post
How long can a half smoked cigar sit before you have to throw it away, rather than finish it?

Mike
There is no definitive answer.
For me, not much more than an hour or so. For others, they smoke sticks the next day.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #463
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Mike
If you do this, be sure to purge it well just prior to setting it down. This should help the flavor when you relight it.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #464
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:

Mike

Cigars? Not very long, as they usually get very acrid tasting very quickly - especially if allowed to cool.

With a pipe, this is much different. In fact, with many Virginia and Virginia?Perique blends, sometimes finishing a pipe a couple days later can find the tobaccos tasting even better.

Why is this?

Good question!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #465
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
There is no definitive answer.
For me, not much more than an hour or so. For others, they smoke sticks the next day.
My wife is notorious for lighting up an hour stick and giving up on it after 15 minutes.

It all depends on how much bitterness you can stand. Be sure to purge the cigar when you sit it down to at least get most of the stale smoke out.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #466
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Mike
My first opusx(like my 3rd cigar ever), I smoked halfway then left it in a zip lock baggie for like a week. One or two days I even forgot that I left it open. When I smoked it later on, it was even better than before. I never purged it either. That was before I knew anything about smoking cigars.
Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #467
cigarz

Default Re: Half smoked cigars

Thanks for the feed back guys. Looks like results can vary. May require some experimentation....

Mike
Old 01-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #468
Chris.
PSHC!

Partagas
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

I wouldn't experiment with it. But, if for some reason you need to put one down and want to pick it up again later, dont be afraid to do so.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #469
blue7622

hello
I have never tried smoking before but i really want to try a cigar, i have some questions:
Does cigar smoke smell and taste better than cigarette smoke? (i can't stand the smell of cigarettes and have no idea of what cigars smell like)

Is there a chance that i would like it even though i can't stand cigarettes or is it all pretty much the same?

I have also heard that some people get sick and throw up after their first smoke, any tips on how I can prevent this from happening?

thanks in advance
Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #470
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue7622 View Post
hello
I have never tried smoking before but i really want to try a cigar, i have some questions:
Does cigar smoke smell and taste better than cigarette smoke? (i can't stand the smell of cigarettes and have no idea of what cigars smell like) I guess it's all a mater of opinion. I think cigars smell and taste like Heaven on Earth.

Is there a chance that i would like it even though i can't stand cigarettes or is it all pretty much the same? Yes...I don't like cigarettes, and I smoke many cigars per week.

I have also heard that some people get sick and throw up after their first smoke, any tips on how I can prevent this from happening? Eat before smoking, and have something with simple sugar in it (I like Reese's PB cups) on hand if you feel sick.
thanks in advance
Some replies in red above. Good luck.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #471
Vigiles
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (3)
Vigiles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
hello
Does cigar smoke smell and taste better than cigarette smoke? (i can't stand the smell of cigarettes and have no idea of what cigars smell like)

Is there a chance that i would like it even though i can't stand cigarettes or is it all pretty much the same?

I have also heard that some people get sick and throw up after their first smoke, any tips on how I can prevent this from happening?

thanks in advance
I'll give some answers on what I can, then let the more experienced members help you out.

1. In my opinion, cigarettes and cigars are completely different, and don't taste anything alike.

2. In my experience, the more I smoked cigars the more I liked them. (still an ongoing process, but I do love them!)

3. How to not throw up: Smoke slow, very slow, around 1 puff per minute or less. Also a Mild cigar would be better for your first. Something that helped me starting out, drink (or sip) water while you are smoking.

Hope that helps some!
Vigiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #472
Chris.
PSHC!

Partagas

Quote:
hello

thanks in advance
DONT INHALE! You should be fine. Just don't go buy the cheapest smoke you can find though. Perhaps a Flor de Oliva would be a good first smoke for you.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #473
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

I used to smoke ciggerette way back, and will say that it's two different things!!
I would agree with all that's been said so far.
As far as the smell of the smoke, I know people that can't stand when I smoke cigars, but then other's think that it smells great (luckily my fiance is one of these people!!).
On a funnier side, I've found that cigar smoke is a much better misquito repelant than cigerette smoke!!!
The taste is going to the tough one I would think. I have had some nasty cigars and some heavenly ones!! So hopefully you get one you like the first time around. The bad ones are far and few between in my eyes though.
Good luck in the new journey!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #474
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

First Name: Craig
Trading: (47)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
SmokinCozy is on a distinguished road

I was thinking if you got a bad one for your first stick, then there would be one less person to fight over the good ones on.........something is telling me not to be that way, there is plenty to go around. Pick up your cigar from a B&M (cigar store) and not the corner market.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #475
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:

Smoke a nice mild cigar, something like a Camacho Coyolar, LDF DL maduro or an El Cobre.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #476
Chris.
PSHC!

Partagas

Did you really just recommend the LFD double LIGERO as a mild cigar? Granted, the DL maduro is good and smooth, but definitely not for the beginner.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #477
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Trading: (30)
MrOneEyedBoh will become famous soon enough

Say im taking a cigar to work with me for the ride home. I have a leather holder, and if I put a cigar in that leather holder would it be alright? Or would it dry out too much? I would leave the cello on it. Or should I use a ziplock baggie and then put the cigar inside the leather holder?

Are there any airtight cigar holders?
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:51 AM   #478
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
Say im taking a cigar to work with me for the ride home. I have a leather holder, and if I put a cigar in that leather holder would it be alright? Or would it dry out too much? I would leave the cello on it. Or should I use a ziplock baggie and then put the cigar inside the leather holder?

Are there any airtight cigar holders?
Those types of holders are fine for your purpose. If you are going to have your cigars over night or over a few days you need some kind of otterbox. Example below.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:58 AM   #479
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Trading: (30)
MrOneEyedBoh will become famous soon enough

I could use that just for like everyday use? Arent they pretty gaudy? Thanks!
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #480
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

The leather holder for the day will work ok. I wouldn't leave anything in there longer than a 12 hour period unless it has a good seal. The cigarcaddy/otterbox can be used for everyday use. I have a 5 count box that I take with me to local B&M's. It isn't the most asthetically pleasing box but the seal is great and it keeps your cigars humidified.

In any case you just want to make sure you don't subject the cigars to extreme heat or cold..