Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
vzontini
Aspiring Cigar Geek

First Name: Vincent
Trading: (0)
vzontini is on a distinguished road
Default Have Monolith humidor - Input Requested

I was able to pick-up a demo Monolith 1200c humidor in good working order from a local B&M cheap. I set it up and seasoned the shelf wood for a few weeks and to watch how it works. A week ago I also added 32oz of humidity beads from Cigarmony.com. With that many cigars in one humidor I wanted backup for my babies.

After several weeks it seems the downside of the temperature control is the humidity varies about 10% as the compressor goes on and off. This is the humidity as read by three calibrated Xikar digital hygrometers placed on different shelves.

So my question to the forum is what is better for cigars a) leave it plugged in having humidity which varies 10% but have the temperature well regulated within about 3 degrees of 70F, or b) unplug it and use the beads which will keep the humidity within a few percent, but the temperature will be 75-80F.

I've heard that constant humidity is more important than constant temperature. The unit is indoors and the temperature would only go above 80F if the power is out and then the unit wouldn't help anyway. I've never had a problem with bugs in my other indoor humidors.

Thoughts?

If someone has experience with a running a Monolith even better.
vzontini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Have Monolith humidor - Input Requested

I would think that spikes in humidity would be the worse of the two. Just remember they are cigars. Try to not over think it. If the beads are giving you you 65-70 then your good. With big changes in humidity you could see your cigars swell and crack.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Short term swings in humidity are completely irrelevant. It will have no effect on your cigars at all. Check the Hi/Lo readings on your hygrometers, a swing of +-10% is no problem. It is no different than opening the door and having the Rh rise or drop to ambient. If you dont freeze, then leave it plugged-in.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
vzontini
Aspiring Cigar Geek

Thanks for the tips. I'd been eye-balling the humidity range - forgetting about the Min/Max feature of the Xikar hygrometers. They were still the goofy 40/90 that you get right after calibration, so I set them to current and that will give me a real range here in a few days.

I do think the fluctuation in humidity is "short term" - 15 minutes or so when the compressor turns on. It's not like it is 62% for 24 hours and then 72% for 24 hours.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
vzontini
Aspiring Cigar Geek

After watching the min/max on my Xikar hygrometers for a week or so it is about 55% min and 77% max (so about +- 10% off the setting of 65%).

That is with the Monolith's control panel set on 72F (the max it will go) and the humidity at 65%. As mentioned I also have 32oz of Cigarmony 65% beads in there as well. Furthermore it isn't my main humidor for daily smokes so the door is rarely opened.

If I'd paid $1800 for one I would not be impressed. Glad I got it cheap - for what I paid it is large, works good enough, and looks better than a cooleridor in my smoking room.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I would drop the temperature, 72F is quite hot. I keep my smokes at 62 degrees. Or as Bob said, freeze them.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
vzontini
Aspiring Cigar Geek

I've tried lower temp during the month or so of testing I did when I first got the unit, but lowering the temp introduced an odd problem that I still don't understand.

When the temp was not set at 72F (the max) on at least three occasions (over the 4 weeks of testing) I'd come home and the temp would be 45-50F and the humidity would be reading 45% on the front panel. The temp had "reset" itself on its own down to a new set point like 45F. If I did nothing it would continue to hold that 45F temp. The humidity was still at the same set point but the humidifier didn't seem able to keep up with the constant cooling. This huge drop in temp and humidity didn't seem good.

Now this was before I had cigars in it so it wasn't a big deal. But it made me wary of messing with the temp so I have just left it at 72F which for some reason the unit seems able to hold steady. Long story short, it doesn't seem worth the hassle.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Neither does the humidor, lol.

Man I have thought of a cooling device so may times, but never thought it was worth it to me for the money.
Point was I just had TOO much stuff. If it can't ALL be in there, then nothing will enjoy the extra benefits and
the current sitcho is just going to have to be fine for everything. And I still feel that way, but I am paring it
all down now to just a couple dozen boxes of my favorites or the newest stuff available. One day my stuff should
all fit in a 48 bottle wine fridge and then I'll have to re-consider the deal. Good luck with all that, btw.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote