Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #41
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: First personal firearm thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
Also NEVER EVER buy anything that says Kel Tec, no matter how easy the salesman says it is to carry.
Personally, I can't agree about the KelTec... with a little work, the .32acp is a nice pocket pistol. From the factory, it is hard to shoot due to the stiff trigger, but they are easy to work on and will eat any hollow point ammo that I have tried.

My normal carry gun is a Springfield V-10 .45acp. It has a compensated 4.5" barrel and holds 7 rounds + one up the pipe.

I have other .45's, some .40S&W pistols, 9mm pistols, 357's, & a .44mag w/ 5" barrel, all that I have carried at one time, but I like a .45 the best.

In USPSA/IPSC competiton, I use a ParaOrdinance P14-45 double stack with custom trigger, safety and mag release work on it. I'd carry that, but it's just a tad too big to lug around on a daily basis.

I agree with the others, though - find a range that rents handguns out and try them out until you find something that you like.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #42
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
You can't go wrong with any of the recommended firearms here. Just remember the most important thing here is that it fits you, and you can shoot it well.
Well said.

For me personally, I see the Glock as a reliable and well made handgun....I just am more comfortable with, and shoot better with, a Sig Sauer. You should take the "rent at the range" advice of some others here and find out what "fits" you best.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:08 AM   #43
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Family Safety First = 12 guage shotgun

Get a Remington 870 HD Express and load it with loose spread bird shot, then top it with 1 close spread 00 Buck round.

The shot penetration of even a handgun is going to be enough to cause harm well past the 'intended target.'

Not to mention racking a shotgun in a dark lit house is enough to make anyone piss their pants...

As for handguns... Glock 19, Sig P229 and HK USP Compact all earn my stamp of approval. Just depends if you like paddle release vs button, polymer vs metal, striker vs DA/SA.. etc etc.

All this is my .02
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #44
darkninja67

The Glock G23 would be at the top of my short list.
Extremely reliable and easy to shoot.
Definitely try before you buy and see which firearm fits your hand best and see how easy it is to operate safeties and mag releases.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:55 AM   #45
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
But if I wanted something for home defense, it would be a 20 gauge shotgun. Excellent stopping power, very accurate with practice and the pellets won't travel across the street and kill a neighbor.
Here is a great and well written article about buckshot: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=886723
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #46
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Here is a great and well written article about buckshot: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=886723
Good article, but I didn't see much discussion about 00 vs #4 shot. I read something somewhere else that said at close range, where you have a good chance of hitting with ALL pellets, the additional pellets in the #4 shell make that a more powerful load. Food for thought.

Here's the ballistic tests: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...27cf8ed4552db8
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #47
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I keep a Mossberg 500 shotgun hidden for home defense and recently came upon some interesting ammo I am thinking about buying.. The double load "pitbull" is the one that caught my eye.

Not sure how a jury would take the name regardless of the castle doctrine in Florida.

Not sure how my wife would feel about the door breachers or the incediary rounds. Flame thrower rounds would certainly address any home invasion issues though.

I'm kinda surprised they sell this stuff to the public...

Brings back memories of the Black Talons.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...specialty-ammo

Any thoughts fellow 2nd ammendment lovers?

Last edited by floydpink; 06-25-2009 at 09:17 PM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #48
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #49
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Let me also talk about how much I like Sigs. Also, the HK P2000 is a fine gun.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #50
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

If the Navy SEALS use the Sig Sauer P226, it can't be bad....
Old 06-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #51
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

For $1200 it better be auto aiming.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:35 PM   #52
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

My primary carry weapon in a Springfield XDM in .40cal. I love it.

As far as home defense / child safety, my personal preference is a Remington 870. Added features are a light, adjustable stock and ammo rail.

My children are familiar with the family weapons, know their utility and the mystery factor has been removed with familiarity training. They shoot the gun, they clean the guns and have been educated and trained as to their utility and purpose.

The most important thing to teach, IMPO are the 4 basic rules of gun safety and they can never be denied.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #53
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

BTW..Great thread. I love firearms discussions.