Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jarrett
Trading: (8)
HUpmann
iaMkcK will become famous soon enough
Question Please help determine my next move

So, I've been studying this forum for some time, and finally got started on the amateur path. I have my MM Corncob, and have ran through almost 2 packs of Prince Albert. Got my loading proper, and only 3 matches per bowl.. I feel I want to step up, but I'm not trying to dump $300 on a pipe right now, so I've been looking at pipesandcigars and have been trying to determine what I should pick up.. I was looking at this pipe:

This guy

And then looking at getting some McClellands, like a tin of FrogMorton or the holiday blend...

But I just don't know which route I should go down.. I would like to keep this first purchase under $75.. So feel free to suggest whatever.. Just not a birthyear dunhill (Lol, I was born in 88 anyways, so it wouldn't be tooo bad )
Old 01-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
JD in CO
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
JD in CO is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Please help determine my next move

I have the same pipe in the apple version along with two others from Viking. I really like the apple.
JD in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaMkcK View Post
So, I've been studying this forum for some time, and finally got started on the amateur path. I have my MM Corncob, and have ran through almost 2 packs of Prince Albert. Got my loading proper, and only 3 matches per bowl.. I feel I want to step up, but I'm not trying to dump $300 on a pipe right now, so I've been looking at pipesandcigars and have been trying to determine what I should pick up.. I was looking at this pipe:

This guy

And then looking at getting some McClellands, like a tin of FrogMorton or the holiday blend...

But I just don't know which route I should go down.. I would like to keep this first purchase under $75.. So feel free to suggest whatever.. Just not a birthyear dunhill (Lol, I was born in 88 anyways, so it wouldn't be tooo bad )
My best suggestion would be to head out to a local pipe shop and get a feel for a bunch of different pipes. You want something that will feel good in your hand as half of each bowl(even if you clench) you will be holding it. You also want to determine if you're a clencher or not, that'll help determine between a straight or bent stem(you can clench a straight stem, I just find them uncomfortable to do so for me).

As far as baccys, I'd suggest trying a sampler(along these lines: http://pipesandcigars.com/vilapsa.html#.UOYFoHdYquI) with a number of different things to try, and finding which one suits your tastes best, then finding what the blend is and trying a bunch of things in that style blend(aromatic, english, VAPer, VA, burley blends, etc). You can check out tobaccoreviews.com to find the breakdown of most blends and reviews on them. You can also talk to your local tobacconist about what you liked and disliked about Prince Albert and he should be able to steer you to a couple things to try.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
JD in CO
Just in from the Storm

Just a little side trip on this thread - anyone want to offer up their two or three favorite online sellers of the weed?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in CO View Post
Just a little side trip on this thread - anyone want to offer up their two or three favorite online sellers of the weed?
Pipes & Cigars
Mars Cigars
Old 01-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Good looking pipe.

If you want, I'd suggest the following tobaccos to go with your pipe, all ordered from the same place.

A Virginia sampler (the Hearth & Home Stuff is excellent) Steve B's VA Elite - Hearth & Home Sampler http://www.pipesandcigars.com/stbsvaelheho.html
I'd also suggest some English (sic) blend [that is, something with Latakia] I'd suggest a couple ounces of Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bulk #12 Mixture, as personally that is one of the quintessential English/Latakia blends http://www.pipesandcigars.com/12mixture.html

An you have already tried a long-standing Burley blend.

Unless of course you want to do the Frog. Oh, just so you know, the McClelland bulk #5110 is very similar to the regular Frog Morton. In fact, most people cannot tell the difference. (just thought that tidbit might be interesting) In the same way, #2035 is hardly discernable from Dark Star.

I think that would keep you around $80.00 or so. Although, if you can kick it up over $100 (just barely) you qualify for free shipping.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
hazydat620
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chad(choad, schoad)
Trading: (10)
hazydat620 is on a distinguished road

or you could of just took a helping/guiding hand of another BOTL when he offered it to you.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazydat620 View Post
or you could of just took a helping/guiding hand of another BOTL when he offered it to you.
You were a brand new member asking me to trade sticks for tobacco, which is against the rules until you have access to the B/S/T... When I politely stated that I wasn't exactly sure who you were since you had just joined and had less than 10 posts, you laughed and proceeded to rescind your offer in the same response to me asking if you had someone who could vouch for you. I'd prefer not to get scammed. No hard feelings, I was only protecting myself.

Last edited by iaMkcK; 01-03-2013 at 06:25 PM.
iaMkcK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
hazydat620
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chad(choad, schoad)
Trading: (10)
hazydat620 is on a distinguished road

I thought that is how you get people to "vouch" for you, send them something, they something in return.but your right maybe ill have to wait the three months like you to really start to interact with people?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
JD in CO
Just in from the Storm

Thanks Rev. Appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

I went with a Stanwell, good price, I liked the way it looked and they have decent reviews and turns out pipes as well. I would go with the others and order a sampler of quality Non Aromatics, nothing against them but I think it's best to get a taste of the pure leaves and types (burley, Va, Latika, oriental,....). I would add smokingpipes.com to the list of retailers.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazydat620 View Post
I thought that is how you get people to "vouch" for you, send them something, they something in return.but your right maybe ill have to wait the three months like you to really start to interact with people?
People have been burned here in the past, and to avoid that we have the trader feedback. In order to gain some as you stand now, I'd suggest you partake in the NST or even the pipe NST(which has been dead for awhile, but you could easily start up the activity in it again). In the future when you gain access to the B/S/T forums, you can gain more through buying and selling and trading.

One way to work around this, if the other party is willing, would be to set up the trade where the newbie sends things out first, and once the older member receives their end, they send out the other end. I'm sure this could work for both parties, but Jarrett, nor you, had thought of it at the time.

Anywho back on topic, you could also try the pipe NST or ask around some of the older members about throwing together a sampler for ya, Jarrett.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
you could also try the pipe NST or ask around some of the older members about throwing together a sampler for ya, Jarrett.
Might upset someone sending them Captain Black and Prince Albert for my NST
Old 01-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

What most do is ask their partner what they like and order a tin or two off a site to be sent to them
Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
If you want, I'd suggest the following tobaccos to go with your pipe, all ordered from the same place.

A Virginia sampler (the Hearth & Home Stuff is excellent) Steve B's VA Elite - Hearth & Home Sampler http://www.pipesandcigars.com/stbsvaelheho.html
Hello Jarrett, and nothing wrong with your selection of pipe to get you off the ground. Good looking Bjarne

I agree with Todd in purchasing the sampler. Great selections of baccy. In addition, you may want to purchase in bulk, a 2oz bulk sample of C&D Old Joe Krantz. I think that would be right up your alley:

http://pipesandcigars.com/codibuoldjoe.html

In addition to the above mentioned selection of fine pipe web sites:

http://www.ljperetti.com/
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

HUpmann

Alright ladies and gentleman, I got some great responses! I appreciate everyones input, and I took everything to heart. I appreciate the side-bar we had as well Rev, I will have to contact them! Anyways, I finally settled on the order, and my lady is grabbing the whole order for Christmas for me [I know, Christmas was last year.. But I never asked for anything and I was promised at least a $60 present.. This fit the bill!]

Bjarne Viking Classic RED SMOOTH Pipe [Also got $5 knocked off because it's the featured pipe of the month]
Free 2013 Pipe Calendar for buying the pipe maker of the month
Steve B's VA Elite - Hearth and Home Sampler
McClelland's Frog Morton On The Town [50g]
BJ Long's Medium Pipe Cleaners [2 Bundles]
McClelland Bulk #5110 [Thanks for the suggestion Rev!] [1oz]
Cornell & Diehl Old Joe Krantz [1oz]

I only got 1 ounce of the individual blends, since I'm just starting out, and wanted to just balance out the purchase to get free shipping like you suggested Rev!

Again, thanks to everyone for every suggestion! I know I was relatively silent in this thread after posting [sans the discussion with Chad], but new years always bring new problems! Thanks everyone! Can't wait to get my new piece!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
Dukeuni
RIP CS

Trading: (32)
RA
Dukeuni is on a distinguished road

Best pipe I was lucky enough to ever get: The first, and only edition- Cigar Asylum pipe-

My pipe: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...4&postcount=61

Original thread: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16150
Dukeuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #18
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeuni View Post
Best pipe I was lucky enough to ever get: The first, and only edition- Cigar Asylum pipe-

My pipe: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...4&postcount=61

Original thread: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16150
the good ole days
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

HUpmann

Well the Frog Morton's on the Town wound up being sold out.. So I substituted it for Frog Morton's Cellar.. Go to my mailbox after work..

Smoking and Snorking my first bowl. Amazing smoke. No bite, not super harsh. Smoke is super pleasant. Wow. Just wow.