Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
JKim

Default Don Pepin - Blue Label Fundadore

This review was posted on 6/29/2008

----------------

I first ran across these at Puff n' Stuff in Atlanta Georgia last Sunday. If I remember correctly, the retail price on these were $10/stick. I passed on these at the time and then noticed discussion on this particular Vitola on a ClubStogie Lanceros thread.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=164847

Greg (NCRadioman) was nice enough to send me a pair of these to try. It being a perfect Sunday afternoon and my desire for a cigar, following is my review.

Interestingly, this Vitola was named the Fundadore. I would expect it to run 40 x 7.5in, but it measurements do follow the classic Lancero in 38 x 7.5in.

Frontmark/Vitola/Size: Don Pepin Blue label Fundadore - 38 x 7.5in
(I would have expected this to be a 40 x 7.5)

Wrapper: Corojo Oscuro

Binder: Nicaragua

Filler: Nicaragua

Online Sources: ??

First Impression: This cigar has a great looking wrapper, lighter than other Blue Label Vitolas I've smoked. There are some noticeable veins. There are some soft spots in the length of the cigar. I expected it to be tighter for such a thin RG. There is a honey suckle sweetness to the tobacco. The construction on the cap is superb.

Prelight Draw: The draw is on easier side. There is just a little bit of resistance with each draw. I expected this after noting the firmness of the cigar.

Pairing - Coca Cola

Smoking the Cigar: Initial draws is a toasty tobacco richness with just a touch of spice. This is not the spice explosion of the Pepin Lanceros released in 2007. The spice lingers with the finish on the tongue. This cigar burns nicely. A nice light gray slightly fluffy ash. The ash dropped at about an inch and a half.

The first 1/3rd remains a nice toasty tobacco with some spice, nuts, and banana sweetness.

Halfway through, the Nicotine is starting to kick in. This cigar is a little fuller than the medium than I initially thought. Either that or the mid 80's weather outside is really in the 90's making me sweat. I haven't enjoyed a Pepin like this in a while. The last one I remember enjoying was a Centurion I smoked a few months ago. I have a new fondness for Pepin again.

I have to remember the ash this cigar more frequently, dropped the first ash on my computer, the 3rd on my hand. The 2nd made it to the ashtray. I'm getting loopy.

Summation:
The cigar did not change much for me in the 2nd half. The spice lingered a little longer. All in all a very enjoyable cigar for the hour and half that I smoked it.

My Scale for rating is as follows:
Appearance: 1-10
Construction: 1-10
Burn: 1-10
Taste: 1-10
Overall Experience: 1-60

For this cigar:
A- 8.5
C- 9
B- 9
T- 8.5
O- 57