Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #81
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Poor Mans Behike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
So what you're saying is you believe the CC Cohiba to be in the right? You know, despite the fact that the current CC Cohiba brand was entirely stolen from the now Dominican Cohiba that fled during the revolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanCigarWebsite
Cohiba is a current post-revolution brand, established in 1966.
It is classified by Habanos SA as their Global flagship brand, and has a major market share and is sold at a premium price.
The Cuban Revolution took place from 1953-1958, so I am not sure how a marca establsihed in 1966 could have been stolen from anyone in pre-revolutionary Cuba.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #82
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
The Cuban Revolution took place from 1953-1958, so I am not sure how a marca establsihed in 1966 could have been stolen from anyone in pre-revolutionary Cuba.
Sorry, herped my derp in memory there. It was RyJ who fled Cuba during the revolution. Either way, my point stands.

Quote:
After Rodriguez's death in 1954 (he was 88 years old), the revolution, and the subsequent nationalization of the tobacco industry, the brand was moved to La Romana in the Dominican Republic, where production of a Romeo y Julieta cigar for the American market continues today under the direction of Altadis SA. The Cuban government nationalized the brand and still produces and distributes it worldwide as one of its top-selling global brands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_y...ta_%28cigar%29

H. Upmann as well:

Quote:
After the revolution, Menéndez and García moved the brand first to the Canary Islands, then the Dominican Republic, where production of this brand still continues for the American market under the ownership of Altadis SA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Upmann

Montecristo, sort of:

Quote:
After the Cuban Revolution and the nationalization of the cigar industry in Cuba in 1961, Menéndez and García fled to the Canary Islands where they re-established the brand, but were later forced to quit due to trademark disputes with Cubatabaco. In the mid-1970s, the operation was moved to La Romana in the Dominican Republic and released for the US market, where Cuba's rights to the brand weren't recognized due to the embargo. Menéndez, García, y Cía is now owned by Altadis SA, who controls its distribution and marketing in the United States.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montecr...cigar_brand%29

Last edited by DaBear; 06-21-2012 at 02:42 PM.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #83
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAW View Post
The Behike thing is my way of thanking the Cubans for using my Cabaiguan Guapos size (5 5/8x54 with pig tail) which came out long before Behike 54.
I really hate the way this is worded and how he keeps mentioning it. He really thinks they were sitting there in Cuba going.....

"damn we need a size for the Behike Line, we had the ideas of 52-54-56 ring gauge. We know exactly what length we want the 52 and 56 but we're just so damn puzzled as to what length to make the 54 You guys all know that Cabaiguan cigar by that dude who looks like Dane Cook with tattoos? *a bunch of resounding No's fly through the room* Let's steal the Guapos size!"

They converse for a few minutes among themselves and all say "brilliant! brilliant!" Consider it stolen! Thank you Mr Tattoo dude!

I would HIGHLY doubt anyone in Cuba knew about the Cabaiguan Guapos or had it in mind when they made the Behike 54. I could be wrong but it just sounds like quite a stretch.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #84
ChicagoWhiteSox

Exactly, Cubans are very PROUD people. That's just how their culture is. They know they have the best tobacco in the world, and they will tell you that.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #85
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I really hate the way this is worded and how he keeps mentioning it. He really thinks they were sitting there in Cuba going.....

"damn we need a size for the Behike Line, we had the ideas of 52-54-56 ring gauge. We know exactly what length we want the 52 and 56 but we're just so damn puzzled as to what length to make the 54 You guys all know that Cabaiguan cigar by that dude who looks like Dane Cook with tattoos? *a bunch of resounding No's fly through the room* Let's steal the Guapos size!"

They converse for a few minutes among themselves and all say "brilliant! brilliant!" Consider it stolen! Thank you Mr Tattoo dude!

I would HIGHLY doubt anyone in Cuba knew about the Cabaiguan Guapos or had it in mind when they made the Behike 54. I could be wrong but it just sounds like quite a stretch.
Dane Cook with tattoos
Old 06-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #86
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Gee I think Bill has made it clear on MANY occasions that he dislikes Pete Johnson. Nothing like beating a dead horse repeatedly.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #87
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Exactly, Cubans are very PROUD people. That's just how their culture is. They know they have the best tobacco in the world, and they will tell you that.
Yes, just so proud that they forcibly steal brands from their own people and then later sue the same people they just stole a brand from when said people try to re-start their brand in a different country.(see Montecristo in my above post)

The later part of your post is entirely subjective.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #88
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Yes, just so proud that they forcibly steal brands from their own people and then later sue the same people they just stole a brand from when said people try to re-start their brand in a different country.(see Montecristo in my above post)

Old 06-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #89
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

Quote:
So we're laughing at the Cuban Revolution and all the atrocities committed by both sides both before and after the Revolution? I don't see whats so funny, frankly you're just coming across as an ass(which I'm sure I am as well, no helping it, inflection can't really be recreated on the internet).
Old 06-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #90
maninblack
Will smoke for food

Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

I hope the mods close this up before it gets too far out of hand.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #91
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
So we're laughing at the Cuban Revolution and all the atrocities committed by both sides both before and after the Revolution? I don't see whats so funny, frankly you're just coming across as an ass(which I'm sure I am as well, no helping it, inflection can't really be recreated on the internet).
Name calling is childish (and against this forums rules)
Old 06-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #92
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Absolutely true, just as those who are saying that CCs can't hold a candle to Nicaraguan cigars in this thread are also making subjective statements. That's the thing about tastes and preferences in cigars....they're ALL subjective. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke, (and keep it civil, Gentlemens.)

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #93
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
I know you said "so we're laughing at the Cuban Revolution", but I can tell you I'm not, so you must be laughing by yourself.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #94
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
Gee I think Bill has made it clear on MANY occasions that he dislikes Pete Johnson. Nothing like beating a dead horse repeatedly.
But if I liked him and posted it repeatingly in every thread it would be okay right?

Kinda funny how that goes........
Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #95
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

A Bill and "Dane Cook with tattoos" bromance?

Woah...
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #96
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

Quote:
I know you said "so we're laughing at the Cuban Revolution", but I can tell you I'm not, so you must be laughing by yourself.
Hence why I worded it as a question. There were a couple things I said that you could have been responding to. Since you have just ruled out the forced theft of a company by the Cuban government in 1961, you must have been laughing at either the plight of Mendez, Garcia y Cia, the rightful owners of Montecristo, or you're laughing at the fact that tastes are subjective, particularly the view that one area in which tobacco is grown is better than others.

I'm not saying you said this or calling you out on this, but the same argument that cigar tobacco grown in area A is better than in area B is the same argument used to justify the Jim Crow laws of the past.(If a mod feels I went a little too far here, feel free to remove this part of my post, no hard feelings)
Old 06-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #97
maninblack
Will smoke for food

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
But if I liked him and posted it repeatingly in every thread it would be okay right?

Kinda funny how that goes........
No it wouldn't be ok. And no one does that here. Nice try though. It's just that everytime someone posts a thread about PJ and a new line he's coming out with, you pipe in with your drivel and personal attacks against him, as if you grew up with the guy and he took your lunch money in middle school. But I digress, like what you smoke, smoke what you like. This is my last post in this thread.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #98
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Hence why I worded it as a question. There were a couple things I said that you could have been responding to. Since you have just ruled out the forced theft of a company by the Cuban government in 1961, you must have been laughing at either the plight of Mendez, Garcia y Cia, the rightful owners of Montecristo, or you're laughing at the fact that tastes are subjective, particularly the view that one area in which tobacco is grown is better than others.

I'm not saying you said this or calling you out on this, but the same argument that cigar tobacco grown in area A is better than in area B is the same argument used to justify the Jim Crow laws of the past.(If a mod feels I went a little too far here, feel free to remove this part of my post, no hard feelings)
That's a horrible analogy and in bad taste. If you felt it was inappropriate, why post it? I'm sure you knew it would offend someone, and I would say you accomplished that
Old 06-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #99
Ismith75
Tin Cup Chalice

First Name: Ian
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Ismith75 will become famous soon enough

I like Tatuaje Cigars. I like Cohibas more. Gonna give the new Tat a shot, might even smoke one of my BHK's soon. Hopefully they're both tasty
Ismith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #100
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

This is how I feel about this thread...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrjMkeXGfGM