Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice
Default Re: The Poor Mans Behike?

I can't believe that I agree with PT. Nic cigars are better than CC's all day everyday.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #22
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

So what is wrong with capitalism and free enterprise? I don't smoke a lot of PJ's stuff, but, he has the right to do what he wants with his company, doesn't he?
I'll give his new line a try when they are released.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #23
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I am always cranked off when I see anyone even tilt towards Cuba with their marketing, or use it as a reference point
for comparison. These guys are in a death struggle everyday with havana, and from what I can tell, Habanos goes out
of their way to be innovative within themselves. Granted, EVERYTHING THEY OWN, they STOLE, but since then they
have tried to stay above the fray and just focus on trying to maintain their image as the best in the world. They have
failed mightily at every turn in my opinion, their reaction to the boom was not only embarrassing, it was nearly
catastrophic. But they still keep innovating and trying to shake the money tree. EVERY OTHER MAKER outside of Cuba
uses them for ideas to steal, an anchor for all their legitimacy in the history of their companies or in the DNA of their
master blenders and torcedores. It's almost disgusting, and I try to stay away from their products as much as possible.
But again, Havana DID steal EVERYTHING. But they did not continue to steal unabashedly.
I can tolerate Fuente because no one can say they don't also do it their way, and are wildly successful because of it.
The Padrons live off the cuban mystique, but they also innovate on their own and are a dominant force because they
refuse to pander to trends. They MAKE trends. It seems like all the boutiques will steal whatever they can to try and
just get the scraps left behind by the other 2. I like a Nic cigar, but I don't like the PJ stuff, or the Drew Estates Stuff,
or the Pepin stuff or the AJ stuff......Some of the cigars make the most they can out of the tobacco, but 80% of it is all the
same to me.

By the way OP, "poor man's Behike" is a little off base....These cigars will be money or nothing. They won't be cheap.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #24
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaDooley View Post
So what is wrong with capitalism and free enterprise? I don't smoke a lot of PJ's stuff, but, he has the right to do what he wants with his company, doesn't he?
I'll give his new line a try when they are released.
It's not an issue with Capitalism at all. The issue, at least for me, is the marketing and packaging he chooses to deliver his product.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #25
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
He does it just to piss you off, Bill.

It's a big conspiracy.

I'm serious, we cooked it up a few years ago down in Nicaragua over a couple bottles of La Flor de Cana 18.
I really think he's serious. Seriously.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #26
maninblack
Will smoke for food

Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

I for one am excited. He makes a great product and is a master at marketing his product. And I tend to agree with Dunkel. NC's blow the doors off CC's. Let the debate continue.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #27
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I like a Nic cigar, but I don't like the PJ stuff, or the Drew Estates Stuff, or the Pepin stuff or the AJ stuff......Some of the cigars make the most they can out of the tobacco, but 80% of it is all the
same to me..
You clearly don't like Nicaraguan tobacco as much as you claim as you basically just eliminated the best in the biz in Nicaragua. Everyone you just listed are some of the only ones doing anything worthwhile with the tobacco and is the reason why when it comes to boutiques they are the top dogs.
Is it a rip off? Yes, but I am sure if you talk to Pete there is probably some kind of joke behind it. I always laugh at how many people love to hate on his stuff and the man himself, many without even trying his stuff or ever meeting him. I can almost guarantee if you spend a little time talking to him in person your opinion would more than likely change. Just when it comes to tobacco the guy is a wealth of knowledge and probably has forgotten more than I myself would ever know. I personally will pick up a few to try. I will never rule out a stick due to marketing gimmicks. Hell if that were the case I would have never smoked a good amount of sticks I enjoy everyday. Sh*t if it weren't for marketing gimmicks I would be out of a job! Call me biased but I would take any of the brands OLS mentioned above over most Cubans anyway. I actually just had this conversation two nights ago about this topic. I said "If someone had a Tatuaje, Liga and a Monte 2 in their hand and offered me to take one for free, the Monte would be my last choice." Not that it isn't a good smoke but I personally prefer Nic. tobacco and I also know I have a 50/50 chance that the Monte will be plugged.
Things could be worse. Has anyone seen Casa De Montecristos claims on their copy of the Behike. They're claiming theirs even tastes the same.
http://www.topqualitycigars.com/ Should still be on the homepage but if it moves after landing on the page search for B56.

Last edited by neoflex; 06-21-2012 at 07:07 AM.
neoflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #28
Brandon
Trout chaser

Trading: (0)
Brandon is on a distinguished road

If his crap is so great, how come he has to rip off the Cubans for his marketing and packaging? Why does he have to imitate such an inferior product??? He does this because his sh*t can't stand on its own. He needs the hype in order to draw attention to his product.

Oh, BTW... I think your wife is a dog. It's only a coincidence that I make my wife dress the same and wear the same makeup.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #29
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I'm pretty sure I read a while back that all his cigars are based off his favorite Cuban sizes. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

I probably will not smoke these as I smoke almost all cc but the price doesn't seem that bad (8.50-10 bucks). Smoke what you like it doesn't matter who rolls it or where it is from.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #30
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Is it just me, or has anybody else noticed that whenever a thread is started about Pete Johnson and his lines of cigars, it turns into a slugfest?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #31
kuzi16
the one and only

Trading: (1)
SCdlH
kuzi16 is on a distinguished road

ive met pete. i like the guy. hes a smart person who has love for nicaraguan tobacco and a love for cuban styling. im not so sure its a "rip off" as much as attempting to fit the style of cuba.
i respect what he does with tobacco. i respect his passion.
im not a fan of his cigars save for a few.

there are a ton of Tatuaje fans out there and clearly they are not on this forum, but i still fiind it a bit surprising that some here seem to have so much hate for him.
you dont like his stuff, dont buy it. plain and simple.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #32
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
If his crap is so great, how come he has to rip off the Cubans for his marketing and packaging? Why does he have to imitate such an inferior product??? He does this because his sh*t can't stand on its own. He needs the hype in order to draw attention to his product.

Oh, BTW... I think your wife is a dog. It's only a coincidence that I make my wife dress the same and wear the same makeup.
Companies do this all the time with competing products. Many people when asked about cigars first think of Cuba. That makes Cuba a target.

Instead of looking at this as a bad thing you could choose to look at it as "Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery"...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #33
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
I for one am excited. He makes a great product and is a master at marketing his product. And I tend to agree with Dunkel. NC's blow the doors off CC's. Let the debate continue.
He makes a great product? That's debatable, but goes back to smoke what you like, a subjective type of thing. Master of marketing? I don't think so, he steals everything he puts out from Cuba.. boxes, bands, ect.

NC's blow the doors off CC's? That's subjective also, smoke what you like. However, I will smoke what I like too, and I prefer not to smoke nasty, harsh, one dimensional spice bombs that most NC's are. I prefer the opposite
Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #34
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzi16 View Post
ive met pete. i like the guy. hes a smart person who has love for nicaraguan tobacco and a love for cuban styling. im not so sure its a "rip off" as much as attempting to fit the style of cuba.
i respect what he does with tobacco. i respect his passion.
im not a fan of his cigars save for a few.

there are a ton of Tatuaje fans out there and clearly they are not on this forum, but i still fiind it a bit surprising that some here seem to have so much hate for him.you dont like his stuff, dont buy it. plain and simple.
No one here is showing any hate towards Pete himself. The issues are related to how the brand is marketed and packaged.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #35
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

First Name: Ron
Trading: (22)
NeuRon will become famous soon enoughNeuRon will become famous soon enough

how original pete... why dont you come up with some of your own creativity (ohwait!)
NeuRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #36
kuzi16
the one and only

Trading: (1)
SCdlH
kuzi16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
No one here is showing any hate towards Pete himself. The issues are related to how the brand is marketed and packaged.
sure looks like hate to me.
i understand not liking the cigars he puts out but saying he steals everything is clearly overboard. the monster series comes to mind with little hesitation.

just about every brand ever has taken ideas from Cuban packaging. why pick on pete?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #37
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
there are a ton of Tatuaje fans out there and clearly they are not on this forum
Whereas I'd counter that Pete Johnson's products are probably talked about more often on this messageboard than all the other NC sticks combined. If there are cigar messageboards out there with a higher concentration of fanbois, kindly let me know so that I may avoid them like the plague.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #38
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
sure looks like hate to me.
i understand not liking the cigars he puts out but saying he steals everything is clearly overboard. the monster series comes to mind with little hesitation.

just about every brand ever has taken ideas from Cuban packaging. why pick on pete?
I don't think you understand the difference between criticizing his BRAND and actually hating on HIM. There has been no one show any hate towards Pete himself at all. In fact, there has been zero hate at all. And is it fair to say the Monster Series is an outlier in the whole stolen packaging debate I'm off to smoke a FACE
Old 06-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #39
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

It would be interesting to hear if Pete started the company separate to protect his other interests from lawsuit or infringement claims coming from Habanos SA on this line.

It's all a copy cat business in a lot of ways, I am glad to hear he is not going to be copying the same pricing scheme with these

I'll give them a try, I am about 50/50 on Pete's different cigars but I am always up for trying a new cigar at least once.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #40
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke, judge not lest ye be judged.

I prefer Cubans.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote