Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2009, 05:25 AM   #21
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation
Default Re: "Virtual" and/or "prepaid" credit Cards

Certain Credit Card companies like Citi. allow you to set up "virtual" account #'s that are directly linked to your main account. you pick the amount (up to your available limit) and expiration (2 - 12 months) and it assigns a "virtual" #.
It is just like your normal Credit card, it has a 16 digit card #, an expiration date, and a cvc #.
Once the "virtual" is used a few things happen. It deducts the purchase amount from the available credit on the "virtual" card as well as the main card.
The card is only good for one vendor so once the initial purchase is made that "virtual" # can not be used for any other vendor. Also if the amount is close or equal to the available amount on the "virtual" card it can not be authorized for more. In some cases it you want to designate the "virtual" # for a vendor that you use all the time, you can go back and increase the amount and expiration date.
So if someone were to get ahold of your "virtual" account # they will not be able to authorize any charges.
Hope this helps.
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:19 AM   #22
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
Certain Credit Card companies like Citi. allow you to set up "virtual" account #'s that are directly linked to your main account. you pick the amount (up to your available limit) and expiration (2 - 12 months) and it assigns a "virtual" #.
It is just like your normal Credit card, it has a 16 digit card #, an expiration date, and a cvc #.
Once the "virtual" is used a few things happen. It deducts the purchase amount from the available credit on the "virtual" card as well as the main card.
The card is only good for one vendor so once the initial purchase is made that "virtual" # can not be used for any other vendor. Also if the amount is close or equal to the available amount on the "virtual" card it can not be authorized for more. In some cases it you want to designate the "virtual" # for a vendor that you use all the time, you can go back and increase the amount and expiration date.
So if someone were to get ahold of your "virtual" account # they will not be able to authorize any charges.
Hope this helps.

I've used the Bank of America version of this. No charge and secure.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:40 AM   #23
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
I've used the Bank of America version of this. No charge and secure.
Good point. they don't charge extra for this service.
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:45 AM   #24
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hope this helps.
My Discover card has this service. However, many online retailers that I use don't accept Discover.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #25
CueTheMusic
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (2)
CueTheMusic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hope this helps.
I use this, it works great and costs nothing.
CueTheMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #26
romwarrior
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (19)
Cohiba
romwarrior is on a distinguished road

Does Wells Fargo offer something like this? My only Visas/MC's are through them.
romwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #27
cbsmokin
Looking for the Apex

First Name: Craig
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
cbsmokin will become famous soon enough

There needs to be some clarity here about all of this.

A prepaid credit card is really just a debit card for people with bad credit. You send a bank money and they give you a percentage revolving line of credit based on the amount you have deposited.

A visa gift card you buy locally or on-line in denominations of your choosing. Some can be refilled, some can not. Many expire or charge a monthly fee if you don't use them. A transaction over your balance will be declined.

A virtual credit card is a secondary number issued for a traditional credit card (one time, one vendor, or specified time period) that prevents thieves from using your actual credit card information in the future.

Different banks have different fee schedules and some are not valid for transactions in foreign currency.

I would like to use visa gift cards but I am concerned about transaction fees or conversion fees if used for an international transaction. Can some one please tell me what their experience has been with this?

Check out C.A.R.B. IV http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...840#post879840
cbsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #28
zmancbr
CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER!!

First Name: Zach
Trading: (41)
HUpmann
zmancbr has disabled reputation

Like was posted above the Citi Virtual CC feature Rocks! I can set a limit, say exactly what I know an order might be and then it clears instantly... you can close the card out after that, or let it expire in 2 months.

I know that Chase offers Visa gift cards for customers, and the limit is up to $500 I believe. Not sure how well they will work to purchase items online, but I might look into it here soon for the holiday season and for my own paranoid self lol...if I remember right, they are free to Chase customers...
zmancbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #29
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsmokin View Post
There needs to be some clarity here about all of this.

A prepaid credit card is really just a debit card for people with bad credit. You send a bank money and they give you a percentage revolving line of credit based on the amount you have deposited.

A visa gift card you buy locally or on-line in denominations of your choosing. Some can be refilled, some can not. Many expire or charge a monthly fee if you don't use them. A transaction over your balance will be declined.

A virtual credit card is a secondary number issued for a traditional credit card (one time, one vendor, or specified time period) that prevents thieves from using your actual credit card information in the future.

Different banks have different fee schedules and some are not valid for transactions in foreign currency.

I would like to use visa gift cards but I am concerned about transaction fees or conversion fees if used for an international transaction. Can some one please tell me what their experience has been with this?
Actually Craig a prepaid is similar to a gift card but can be refilled, the description you have listed is a Secured Credit Card meaning the debt is secured by the initial deposit. I have yet to get any international fees when ordering with my prepaid card
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #30
ahc4353

OK here is my question.

Can this be done with any credit card or do you have to have a Citi card to make it work?

What I want to do is assign my bank visa card to pay this "temp" card to pay for my smokes.

What I don't want is fee's or monthly charges etc. etc.

I like the haypal option I guess if they can't close my account when they see it's a cigar purchase.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #31
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Can somebody please provide the link for citi Virtual cards? I was just on the site and I cant find anything about a virtual card.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #32
CueTheMusic
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Can somebody please provide the link for citi Virtual cards? I was just on the site and I cant find anything about a virtual card.
If you log into your account online at citicard.com then go to the "Tools and Services" tab, you can drop down to "Request a Virtual Account Number".

Also, this will explain it:
https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/d...laccountnumber
Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #33
zmancbr

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
OK here is my question.

Can this be done with any credit card or do you have to have a Citi card to make it work?

What I want to do is assign my bank visa card to pay this "temp" card to pay for my smokes.

What I don't want is fee's or monthly charges etc. etc.

I like the haypal option I guess if they can't close my account when they see it's a cigar purchase.
I would say it depends on your card provider. If they have the option or not. If its a bank, then I doubt they will have something like that. Worst case though, give customer service a call and see what they offer.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #34
zmancbr

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueTheMusic View Post
If you log into your account online at citicard.com then go to the "Tools and Services" tab, you can drop down to "Request a Virtual Account Number".

Then you can DL the software to your computer and run it from there, or log into your account every time and then log into the virtual CC section.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #35
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueTheMusic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmancbr View Post

Then you can DL the software to your computer and run it from there, or log into your account every time and then log into the virtual CC section.
Thanks for the info guys, but it doesnt give me that option in the Tools and Services menu.

maybe its not available with my pitiful card.. you gotta be a Big Balla to have that option

"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #36
CueTheMusic
Still Watching My Back

From citi's FAQ:
Quote:
Virtual Account Numbers are available on:
AT&T Universal Savings Platinum Card
AT&T Universal Savings Rewards Card
Citi® Bronze / AAdvantage® MasterCard®
Citi® Bronze / AAdvantage® MasterCard® for College Students
Citi CashReturns® MasterCard
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Rewards Card
Citi® Dividend Platinum Select® Visa® Card for College Students
Citi® Dividend Platinum Select® MasterCard® for College Students
Citi® Gold / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®
Citi® mtvUTM Platinum Select® Visa® Card for College Students
Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®
Citi® Platinum Select® MasterCard®
Citi® Platinum Select® Visa® Card for College Students
Citi® Platinum Select® MasterCard® for College Students
Citi PremierPass® Card
Citi PremierPass® Card - Elite Level
Citi PremierPass® Expedia.com Card
Citi PremierPass® Expedia.com Card - Elite Level
Citi® Secured MasterCard®
Old 07-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #37
zmancbr

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Thanks for the info guys, but it doesnt give me that option in the Tools and Services menu.

maybe its not available with my pitiful card.. you gotta be a Big Balla to have that option

Maybe give 'em a call and check it out? That is weird that it doesnt have that option for your card... maybe they limit it to different kinds of cards?

Oh and I highly doubt I'm a big balla Moe
Old 07-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #38
ChasDen

Just curious, why the big desire for the "virtual" cards?

Are you guys afraid of fraud?

Never been too concerned since I only use cards online with low available lines in case they get lifted. I have 2 cap 1 accounts and they raised my credit on the low one a while back. I called them and asked them to lower it back down since its the one I use online.

They obliged and increased the other one by the same amount

They just don't get it.

Chas
Old 07-11-2009, 06:41 AM   #39
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmancbr View Post
Maybe give 'em a call and check it out? That is weird that it doesnt have that option for your card... maybe they limit it to different kinds of cards?

Oh and I highly doubt I'm a big balla Moe
I called and it isnt available with my card because it was originally a transferred card (used to be Macys or some chit, and they switched it over)

Oh, and I KNOW youre a big balla Zach!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasDen View Post
Just curious, why the big desire for the "virtual" cards?

Are you guys afraid of fraud?

Chas
Many of us are ALREADY victims of fraud. The virtual cards can save the hassle of going through it again.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #40
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Chase does not offer these, alas!