Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation
Default Cigar Smoking Technique

So you learn a few things along the journey of discovery that is cigar smoking. There are so many, it's what keeps the hobby fresh. Nothing like sitting down next to a brother/sister and "noticing something". I'm pretty slow but over time you pick up things that can be useful.

How you choose to smoke a cigar is many times based upon circumstances. Time constraints, location, need to do something productive while smoking, etc can all have an impact on "how you smoke". The interrelated subject is "what you choose to smoke". Anyone with more than 1 cigar is confronted with this choice.

But.. let's stick with technique.

Once you choose to smoke a specific cigar, for whatever reasons it comes to you to do so (mine more often then not are that I could find it) there are basic things you need to do.

Cut: Most folks use some form of guillotine cutter. Either single blade or dual blade. Lots of hype regarding which style is better and within style which brand. Palio and Xikar being the most popular dual blades. Personally, I tend to cut most cigars with my $ 1.50 single blade Havana cutter. The very thin razor edge seems to be the most reliable for me particularly with crumbly older cigars. However, the Palio and Xikars do a fine job as well. One technique I have seen is to lay the cutter flat on the table, put the cigar in vertically, and make the cut with the cigar head resting on the table. Seems to be pretty good at making a straight cut, particularly with the Xikar and Palio, where a bit of twisting and off angle cuts are easy without a firm steady hand. Going too slowly on a cut is normally where problems of "pinching" occurs. So commit to the cut!

Once you have smoked a particular cigar / box sometimes you find cigars that have a draw that is looser than you prefer. For me, this is the application for a Punch. By making a smaller hole/restricting airflow in the cap vs cutting the whole thing off, the draw can me made to "feel" more normal.

Light: Lots of chatter about "how to" light a cigar. Cedar strips, toasting to avoid flame touching the tobacco with torches, soft flame lighters, etc, etc. From my perspective have never really noticed a difference in flavor based upon "how a cigar was lit". However, there are huge differences in how a cigar smokes based upon the light. I believe that most poorly burning/running cigars start with a bad light.

There are probably an infinite number of ways to get a good light. Here is one. I toast the foot.. flame on or a little off of the tobacco. In between I blow on the glowing foot. Take no draws on the cigar during the process. Try to get the entire foot including the wrapper glowing. Usually its 2-3 toast and blow alternations to get a good even burn. After it is achieved wait a few seconds and start taking light draws on the cigar and recheck the evenness of the burn. If necessary torch and blow again.

Starting with light vs heavy draws on the cigar helps prevent an initial run and improves the burn for the entire cigar.

Draw Intensity: How hard you draw on a cigar has a big impact on the flavors. The nature of a cigar and where it is in its burn interrelate on this issue as well. Drawing too heavily and sharply will tend to heat a cigar beyond it's optimal flavor profile. However, cigars that are too moist (too being relative to what you like) may require heavier or more frequent draws to get the proper amount of smoke. This relates to a separate but related issue of what RH to store your cigars and why some folks choose to "dry box" (store cigars in lower RH just prior to smoking).

Every cigar has it's sweet spot, at least for me, regarding the pace and amount of draw to "get it's best". It's something you need to think about but tends to come naturally... sometimes through a head spinning surprise.

Frequency of Draw: Numbers like every 30 seconds or 45 or 1 minute get thrown out as being the "right pace". I think every cigar has it's optimal pace. Older dryer = lighter puffs, longer intervals. Newer, wetter harder puffs shorter intervals (cuz they will go out is one reason). It really depends mostly on how hard you draw and finding a "pace" that makes the cigar taste best for you.

Nose Modulation: Everything we give him he stick up his nose! (Old Cheech and Chong line) Try eating or smoking something while pinching your nose. No discernible flavors! The sense of taste regarding smoke comes primarily from your nasal cavity. For me it was a serendipitous thing for many years. I'd smoke a cigar... smoke in the mouth, smoke out the mouth. Got preferences. Bought more of them. Basically a happy lil mouth smoking camper. Then the SOB named Bruce noticed my "technique" and showed me the "nose exhale". The world changed from there. Every cigar I smoke I exhale some portion of the inhale consciously through my nose. Milder cigars... more nose. Stronger cigars.. less nose, but every cigar some nose. Usually more nose at the beginning of a cigar less at the end. If you don't do it now, you need to learn.

Summary: Storage RH starts the process. Cutting it right sets the stage. Lighting it evenly positions you for pleasure. But, the combination of finding a cigars pace and consciously modulating the strength of draw and the amount of "nose" on exhale is "it". Once you get "it" there are many paths to enjoy any particular cigar at any point in its all too short death by fire.

Of course we violate many of these rules by hot boxing some of the worlds finest cigars in PPP's.

Last edited by Da Klugs; 10-21-2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: missing "of"
Da Klugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
kayaker

Default Re: Smoking Technique

Wow. Great info. I've read most of this before, but there are a few new considerations and it's nice to see it all in a neat little package.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
shemp
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: clark
Trading: (0)
Partagas
shemp is on a distinguished road

great post kluggs, i had the clouds parting, angels singing, and heavenly light shining down upon me experience when i finally figured out about nose exhaling as well...
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
barbourjay

i too have found everyone has their own ritual as to how to cut light and draw on a cigar. i'm right there with you on lighting except i tend to draw in and usually blow out a time or two also just to clear some of the bitterness from the lighting process.

BTW, i love my punch. i have it on my keys all the time and use it for cigars like the chisel and a few larger RG cigars to give a more concentrated draw. i think it's an under-rated way to cut the cigar. not to mention how clean it can be compared to other techniques sometimes.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
leasingthisspace

Thanks for the post. I have been trying to exhale more and more out through my nose as I am blowing out of my mouth. The first time it was bad really bad but that is because I was trying to blow it all out my nose. I had to learn the hard way that it is not all exhaled through my nose.

I know exhale is a poor choice of words because I don't inhale but I think you can understand what I mean.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
SonsofClubDeck

Great post. When I get out of class I am going to print this out for some friends. I am very grateful to my father for teaching me the art of the snork. It has changed my appreciation of smoking greatly.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
mrreindeer

great post Klugs, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Nose Modulation: Everything we give him he stick up his nose! (Old Cheech and Chong line)
Ah, I get it! Is that what this guy was doing? http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1556
Old 10-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
FriskyDingo
hoosierherfers.com

First Name: Evan
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
FriskyDingo is on a distinguished road

Nice post

This should be a sticky!!

-= http://www.hoosierherfers.com =-
FriskyDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about

Why do some folks light the cigar before cutting?
SmokinApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Another fine post!!!

Great information!

Some day I hope to Herf with you Dave and see your technique in action!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Klugs, you rock!
Old 10-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Nice post

This should be a sticky!!
Make it sticky.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #13
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinApe View Post
Why do some folks light the cigar before cutting?
I think it has to do with keeping the smoke from the lighting process from traveling up the cut cigar. However, you don't get the opportunity to test the draw before you start.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #14
Rockestone
Anythings Possible

First Name: Greg
Trading: (5)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Rockestone will become famous soon enoughRockestone will become famous soon enough

Aw, read it again daddy.
Rockestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #15
Squid
Old Man Herfer

Trading: (1)
VR Navy (Retired)
Squid has disabled reputation

Damn Klugs, another great post....but, do you stay up late at night thinking these things up, or what??? You'd think CA has it's own in house philosopher or Hemingway!!

Gotta say...that nose thing has piqued my curiosity. I'm going out on the porch in a few minutes with a Carolina Blonde and my ever faithful La Gloria Cubana and I'm gonna try it!
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #16
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation
Cool Re: Smoking Technique

Dave,
Thanks for bringing this all together for a very concise bit of information. Taking a lot of very widly dispersed info and presenting it into a good easy read.

This might be a very good thing for a sticky.

Guys hit him up with some RG.
Thanks again,
STS
Old 10-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #17
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Everything has a backstory....

This morning Sam came in and said are you ready to go back to work?

Thought about it and then typed the above. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #18
schnell987
Grateful to the 11

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
schnell987 is on a distinguished road

Your procrastination is our gain. Thanks for great information!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #19
Squid
Old Man Herfer

Trading: (1)
VR Navy (Retired)
Squid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Everything has a backstory....

This morning Sam came in and said are you ready to go back to work?

Thought about it and then typed the above. Maybe tomorrow.
You're right....NEVER do today what you can put off until tomorrow!
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #20
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

like glue. thanks a lot for posting this, it was a great read

stearns
stearns is offline   Reply With Quote