Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 07-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Congrats To Derek Jeter!!!

Being a die-hard Mets fan and lifelong Yankee hater, I was reluctant to create this post. After thinking, I gotta give credit where credit is due. Derek Jeter is the only Yankee I have ever liked. He is first class all the way!!!

Conrgats to him on becoming the first Yankee in history to obtain 3,000 hits.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Congrats To Derek Jeter!!!

For all the Yankee fans here, Mac, I thank you. I know that hurt, but you again acted like a gentleman. I too add my congratulations to Derek Jeter, and hope for his continued success.

But are you telling me you didn't like Don Mattingly, brother? WTF?
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Kudos to a damned good ball player. He definately worked his butt off to get it done. Hopefully he can stick around long enough for a run at 4,000. It's not likely because he's not a power-goon, but he's good for the Yankees organization.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Jeter
Old 07-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

He is a great athlete!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

One of the best!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

First Name: Ron
Trading: (22)
NeuRon will become famous soon enoughNeuRon will become famous soon enough

5-5 so far!

DJ is THE man
NeuRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

5-5, SB, 2 runs scored, 2 RBIs and the game winning hit. Fitting end to a perfect day for Derek Jeter.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

Gotta give credit where credit is due but. $%&# THE YANKEES (clap clap clapclapclap)
Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
5-5, SB, 2 runs scored, 2 RBIs and the game winning hit. Fitting end to a perfect day for Derek Jeter.
Makes me wish I had him up instead of JJ Hardy in my fantasy ball.
Not really, his post-dl numbers have sucked compared to Hardy's, but I'd like to have had his numbers for today.
Makes me wonder...
It sure was convenient for him to get healthy and come off the dl just in time to get this done before All-Star break. That's a lot of stuff that doesn't get sold during the break if he doesn't get this done, ya know?
Random stupid stuff...
His promoter/dork who sells the rights to the Jeter fanabilia has the rights to five gallons of dirt from the infield from right after that game. 1/2 oz. vials will be going for $250 each. A venue like the All-Star week is an amazing opportunity to get that stuff sold, while fans are at the absolute pinnacle of their Jeter love.
It just makes ya wonder how deep these guys think to get every last buck they can. Not that that's a bad thing, so long as the fan buying the stuff is happy, it just makes me wonder if the money plays into whether or not Jeter goes on the DL when he does, so he can come off and get this done when it needs to be done so they can maximize the dollars?
Ya think, Mac?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Scott, not really sure if his injury warranted a trip to the DL. Only Jeter and the Yankees know that. But what a coincidence that it enabled him to hit # 3,000 at home...where it should have been done!!

And big kudos goes out to Christian Lopez (the 23 year old fan who caught the ball)... he said he "wanted Jeter to have the ball and didn't need anything for it". The Yankees thought different and eneded up giving the kid three auto'ed Jeter bats, three auto'ed Jeter ball, two auto'ed Jeter jerseys, 4 tickets in the front row behind home plate for todays game, 4 seats in the suits for the rest of the season, and he got a chance to meet and take pictures with Jeter. KUDOS to the Yankees!!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Class act.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Grudging congrats
Old 07-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

Kind of ironic, Jeter is the face of the Yankees but he's really the anti-yankee... humble, classy, honest etc!?! LOL Congrats to him.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Being a die-hard Mets fan and lifelong Yankee hater, I was reluctant to create this post. After thinking, I gotta give credit where credit is due. Derek Jeter is the only Yankee I have ever liked. He is first class all the way!!!

Conrgats to him on becoming the first Yankee in history to obtain 3,000 hits.
What Mac said.....except of course the Mets part....insert "Red Sox" instead....
Old 07-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
KUDOS to the Yankees!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Class act.
Yes, they are.

Funny about all this conspiracy theory regarding Jeter's time on the DL with a gimpy leg. The same Yankee haters who see nefarious and selfish motives behind each move the Evil Empire makes had no problem at all with, for instance, Pete Rose managing himself into the lineup night after night towards the end of his career, or Cal Ripkin Jr. limping out for the first inning of a game to keep his streak alive, all for the sole purpose of padding their stats.

Hey, I'm just tellin' it like it is.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Yes, they are.

Funny about all this conspiracy theory regarding Jeter's time on the DL with a gimpy leg. The same Yankee haters who see nefarious and selfish motives behind each move the Evil Empire makes had no problem at all with, for instance, Pete Rose managing himself into the lineup night after night towards the end of his career, or Cal Ripkin Jr. limping out for the first inning of a game to keep his streak alive, all for the sole purpose of padding their stats.

Hey, I'm just tellin' it like it is.
I'm not a Yankee hater and I started it. If it doesn't smell funny to you, you might oughta get your nose checked.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #18
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Good job on the 3K... He is a good player...
Old 07-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #19
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I'm not a Yankee hater and I started it. If it doesn't smell funny to you, you might oughta get your nose checked.
And not to get your nose out of joint, brother Scott, but here's the facts:

On June 13th Jeter got a leadoff single to reach 2994 hits. In the field during the 5th, he looked to have hurt his leg on a flyout. At bat in the bottom of the 5th he came to the plate, made contact, limped to the bag for the out, then turned and went directly to the dugout, not to return. Taken to the hospital, his MRI indicated a Grade 1 strain. Jeter was placed on the DL for the first time since 2003.

As for "holding him out so he'd hit 3000 at home", note that not only was this in the middle of a game where he could have gotten two more ABs at least, but it proceeded a 3-game home stand against the Rangers. Another hit in this game and one each in those, or a multiple-hit one or two slapped past a fielder off the iffy Texas pitching, and he would have had 3000 nearly a month earlier . . . IN THE BRONX.

Despite this, you see something fishy in him coming off the DL on the road, and just prior to a short homestand against the Rays prior to the All Star break (shortened even more by a rainout), who have superior pitching than do the Rangers? All this, plus the supposed contrivance of a player who's integrity and committment to his team (and not his personal stats) has never been questioned?

Yeah, something stinks alright, but it's not what you propose.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
And not to get your nose out of joint, brother Scott, but here's the facts:

On June 13th Jeter got a leadoff single to reach 2994 hits. In the field during the 5th, he looked to have hurt his leg on a flyout. At bat in the bottom of the 5th he came to the plate, made contact, limped to the bag for the out, then turned and went directly to the dugout, not to return. Taken to the hospital, his MRI indicated a Grade 1 strain. Jeter was placed on the DL for the first time since 2003.

As for "holding him out so he'd hit 3000 at home", note that not only was this in the middle of a game where he could have gotten two more ABs at least, but it proceeded a 3-game home stand against the Rangers. Another hit in this game and one each in those, or a multiple-hit one or two slapped past a fielder off the iffy Texas pitching, and he would have had 3000 nearly a month earlier . . . IN THE BRONX.

Despite this, you see something fishy in him coming off the DL on the road, and just prior to a short homestand against the Rays prior to the All Star break (shortened even more by a rainout), who have superior pitching than do the Rangers? All this, plus the supposed contrivance of a player who's integrity and committment to his team (and not his personal stats) has never been questioned?

Yeah, something stinks alright, but it's not what you propose.
I didn't suggest Jeter had anything to do with it at all, first and foremost.
Jeter is hitting .270. Odds are he's going to get 3 hits in Cleveland in those 3 games on the 4th, 5th, and 6th, which is exactly what he did, leaving 3 more for the homestand on the 7th, 9th and 10th.
My question to Mac was more or less how much the front office plays into something like this. They could have easily let him sit for another week, then the all-star break to insure his health.
It just seems awful convenient how things played out exactly like they needed to. I'll admit that maybe there's nothing there at all, but it still makes me wonder how this all went down. It'd be cool to be a fly on the wall for the whole thing.