Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
RichieBklyn
I'm going to smoke...

First Name: Richie bklyn
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
RichieBklyn is on a distinguished road
Default CC's or NC's?

It seems to me the more people smoke (years) they tend to lean toward CC's as better than NC's. Any truth to this? I can't seem to figure out why? I have smoked about 10 CC's, premium brands mostly when out of the US, bought at an LCD. I have not found CC's to taste better than NC's. What am I missing?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

smoke what you like, like what you smoke. Doesn't matter what the others say, matters what you like.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

If you've tried them and don't like them you're not missing anything.

Also, what Mark said.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

I've generally found that Nicaraguan cigars suit my pallet best. CC's are good for a change of pace but are generally milder than what I enjoy. So, yeah, what Mark said.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

What make said. Some people prefer NCs, others CCs.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

BMW. Or Audi ....Starbucks or coffee bean....titleist or taylormade....big booty or big knockers...whatever floats your boat man.

For me it is Volvo, good black coffee, whatever makes makes be a better golfer, hot women, and yummy cigars.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
ArgusP2
It's Smokin' Time!

First Name: Angel
Trading: (13)
RA
ArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the rough

How long have you been smoking cigars?
I've been smoking cigars for less than a year, April will be my one year mark. There are cigars that I really liked and enjoyed then that I don't even smoke anymore. I smoke cigars on both sides of your question.
Your palate will change and you will move on to another brand or even vitola of the same brand. So you didn't like/enjoy those CCs, could be your palate is more predisposed to NCs, for now. It could change then again it might not.

Of course it always comes down to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
smoke what you like, like what you smoke. Doesn't matter what the others say, matters what you like.

Enjoy!!

-Bdawg
ArgusP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

I've heard that most CC's can't hold a candle to a certain vendor's sun growns in blind taste tests and that Cuba is actually net importer of tobacco so they're mostly NC anyways,

Personally I smoke Cuban's almost exclusively, the only NC's I've found worth a second try are Padron's, Alec Bradley's and the Oliva V and O series. All the rest I've tried just don't appeal to my palate.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
lilninjabuddy
Cigar Ninja

First Name: Derek
Trading: (2)
Montecristo
lilninjabuddy is on a distinguished road

I love, love the Cubans I've tried. Bolivar, Partegas, Monte, Cohiba... I've enjoyed some of the best smokes of my life from these marcas. But they could never turn me away from Liga Privada No 9's.

Sometimes you want chocolate cake, sometimes you want vanilla. Sometimes you want a porter, sometimes you want a IPA. No reason one has to be thought of as better than the other, they're just different.

The important thing, as was already stated, is smoke what ya like!
lilninjabuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilninjabuddy View Post
I love, love the Cubans I've tried. Bolivar, Partegas, Monte, Cohiba... I've enjoyed some of the best smokes of my life from these marcas. But they could never turn me away from Liga Privada No 9's.

Sometimes you want chocolate cake, sometimes you want vanilla. Sometimes you want a porter, sometimes you want a IPA. No reason one has to be thought of as better than the other, they're just different.

The important thing, as was already stated, is smoke what ya like!
Well said brother!
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Has anyone said "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke" yet?

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. I prefer Cuban, but there are lots of great NCs out there if that's your taste.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Like what you smoke, and smoke what you like. That's all i have to say about this.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #13
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

The CCs I prefer actually are cheaper than most of the NCs I prefer. While I can't get CCs at the corner B&M, convenience is nice for NCs. To solve that, buy CCs in boxes or cabs. In the long run I come out cheaper and I get smokes that fit my palate the majority of the time. I do enjoy maduros from time to time and without breaking the bank, NCs are my only go to.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #14
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I like them both.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #15
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieBklyn View Post
What am I missing?
Nothing.
Why would you think you were missing something?
Do you like the cigars you smoke?

Also to all concerned.
A PALATE is something you taste with,
a PALLET is something you stack $hi+ on and
a PALETTE is something you smear paint on.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #16
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Have been smoking cigars since 1980. I smoke some CCs, but predominantly NCs. I like both, but I'd say the majority of my rotation is made up of NCs.

All you need to do though, it make your palate happy, so smoke what you like.

If you're going to be a band smoker (someone smoking cigars so that everybody else will see the band and know what your smoking), all you'll ever be is miserable. And that is true for anything in life that you do to impress or look good to others.

Be yourself. Smoke/eat/drink/wear/drive what you like, and enjoy it.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #17
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I love CCs because they have so many wonderful small ring gauges available for a great price. I have been smoking strickly CCs for the last few weeks and am loving what I am finding. I will always be sucked back to NCs for great sticks like the L40 & FFP though. I prefer CCs most of the time as I do not feel the need to eat a large meal before hand like I do for many strong NCs.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #18
kuzi16
the one and only

Trading: (1)
SCdlH
kuzi16 is on a distinguished road

in my experience the people that "only smoke Cubans" are full of it. after about 30 seconds of cigar discussion they show that they know virtually ZERO about cigars, let alone Cuban cigars.

...and their source is almost always "a friend of a friend who has family in Cuba"
Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.
Realize that our tastes change as we go through life, and variety is the spice.
I'm smoking LOTS of cc's right now and vastly enjoying them. So much so that I've excluded everything else, but I'm also not smoking much. I have plenty of nc's on hand that I truly love, and when I'm ready for them, they'll be ready for me.
You're not missing a thing.
I do tell guys that when they're new to cc's, it's important to ease up on the strong, heavy nic puros, etc. before giving them a shot. It allows the palette to recover and enjoy the milder cc's. That's not to say that cc's aren't strong, but on average, they're not as brutal as nic puros and dominican puros strength-wise.
If you've been smoking lots of real strong nc's as I've guessed you have, I've found that in my experience it's best to taper down that strength or take a break before launching a fair cc trial. I found that out via a bad head/chest cold that lasted forever and didn't allow me to smoke. When I was ready to pick up a cigar, I had a very nice fiver someone had shared with me and I wanted to give cc's another shot.
That threw a hook in me. Still, I didn't really get involved with cc's for a couple more years, at least.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #20
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

I smoke mainly Cubans, but like some NCs as well. So I guess I'm only partially full of it.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote