Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-10-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about
Default El Trovador corona gorda

This is a cigar from Pinar Del Rio, a company that was hit or miss for me years ago but has been pretty consistently good recently.

The first thing you notice about this cigar is that they were going for a classic Cuban look. The band looks like a Cuban band, the rosado wrapper looks Cuban, triple cap, and the cigar is box-pressed.

I gotta say...they did a really good ripoff job. I trust my palate, and I'm being serious when I say that this cigar tastes like a Cuban cigar. HOLD ON...before you scoff and laugh at me and call me a noob, let me clarify. It doesn't taste like a Cohiba or Monte. It tastes like a 'cheap' Cuban, like Piedra, Quinteros, La Flor de Cano, etc. It even burns a little uneven like a short filler CC. If you handed one of these to me unbanded and told me it was a Quinteros, I would believe it.

Certainly an interesting cigar, and one that I will hold onto to fool somebody in a blind taste test. But even at auction prices (starting bid of $23 for a fiver), I'd rather smoke a Piedra or Quinteros.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: El Trovador corona gorda

Thanks for the review, Mark!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:20 AM   #3
oldforge
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
oldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: El Trovador corona gorda

I have tried most of the PDR smokes when Cigarpage has them on sale (dirt cheap). Most have been surprisingly good.

_This_ is the one exception. I just can't get _any_ taste out of it--so I have put them in the bottom of the tupperdor (let me reword that, _a_ tupperdor ;-) ) to try again in a year....(sometimes that works, sometimes it does no good at all--part of the fun of this hobby).
oldforge is offline   Reply With Quote