Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-30-2018, 01:32 PM   #1
BHK-J
Puff puff pass

First Name: Jon
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
BHK-J is on a distinguished road
Default Palette range - top 5 cigars

Looking for suggestions on the top 5 cigars that encompass that a range a new Cuban smoker should try. Thanks!
BHK-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
mk05
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Palette range - top 5 cigars

1980s Romeo y Julieta Churchill TUBO
1990s Monte #2
LRE09 LGC Tainos
LBT10 Cohiba Behike 54
AME13 Hoyo Epicure #2

This should give you an idea of what Cuban cigars can be.
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post
1990s Monte #2
LRE09 LGC Tainos
LBT10 Cohiba Behike 54
AME13 Hoyo Epicure #2

Because everyone has access to 80s and 90s cigars.

I can't even stop laughing to answer this yet, Marc.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
DEZn00ts
What? I didn't catch that

First Name: Xavier
Trading: (0)
DEZn00ts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

Lmfao!!!! Hahahahahahaha! Oh ****...
Old 06-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #5
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

The CC section of the forum will open up to you in time and there's a lot of info there. In the meantime, I copied/pasted the below from a sticky there:

Initial Noob "To Try" List:

Bolivar Petit Corona- Everyone talks about this cigar. Its a definite must try for all newbs to the Habanos world. Gives you a good introduction to the Cuban "Twang" everyone goes on about
Bolivar Belicosos Finos- Great flavor and another Boli that remains consistent in that "Boli" profile. These 2 give a great intro into the unique flavor of Bolivar.
Cohiba Esplendidos- Like I said, this list isn't the best of the line, just the most talked about. These are very good cigars with excellent flavors but in my mind there are so many better smokes in the Cohiba line to try. However, you must smoke some of these to have a basis of comparison for the other Cohiba's, that and everybody talks about the creamyness of these.
Cohiba Robusto- A very tasty cigar that has been somewhat inconsistent over the last few years. Must try for to get an idea of the "grassy" flavor that's always being discussed. Excellent with age.
Cuaba Salomones- The Cuaba line really isn't discussed all that much, however fans of this line prefer this vitola for the smooth subtle flavors it brings and its ability to keep your attention through this hefty smoke. The past few years crop has seen a dramatic increase in overall quality IMO.
El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme- Many people enjoy this cigar for its earthy leathery flavor so its a good one to try. I think the line has better offerings but this is a good place to start in the ERDM line.
El Rey Del Mundo Tainos- Where the ERDM line starts to shine. These are impressive cigars that are pretty decent when young and good with age. Great earthy flavors with that nice barnyard aroma. A pleasure to smoke
Fonseca Cadetes- A nice short Cuban smoke. These are small and unassuming but good for if you're on a quick break. Nothing to really cut your teeth on here but still nice
H.Upmann Connoisseur No 1- One of the best values in the H.Upmann line. Great woody coffee flavors and generally a pleasant forray into the Upmann world. Nice price, nice flavor profile, what more do you need?
H.Upmann Mag 46- A lot of people rave over these. A lot of people dislike these. There are fans on both sides but you can't deny this is a much talked about cigar. When ON these are fantastic but when young suffer from harsh/ammonia type flavors.
Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No 2- One of my personal faves when I was starting out in the Habanos world. Sweet and creamy with "dessert-like" flavors that strengthen as you smoke. Enjoyable and a good value. Nice intro in the HDM line
Hoyo De Monterrey Doble Corona- The prestigious cigar that Politicians like to smoke These cigars and elegant and mild and excellent for beginners with the time to smoke 'em. One of my fave indulgences but they suffer from Draw probs occassionally. Still good though
Juan Lopez Seleccion No 2- A very tasty light cigar. Excellent for beginners and liked by veterans who crave a good morning cigar to go with their coffee. Nice subtle flavors that are enjoyable and leave your palatte feeling clean.
La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'Or No 2- A nice refined cigar that is similar in nature to the Upmann line. Utilizes that Classic Cuban flavor and essential tobacco flavor to get its point across.
Montecristo No 2- Probably the most inconsistent cigar because of the high volume of production. These cigars can range from blah to Legendary depending on crop,year, and blend. You have to try them because this is usually considered "THE" benchmark Cuban Cigar. If you get a blah one you'll shake your head and wonder what all the hype is about. If you get a good one you'll understand what all the fuss is about.
Montecristo No 4- A good intro into the world of Cuban Monte's. Nice short smoke packed with flavor and one noted enough to not confuse your noobish palatte. A good to try stick.
Partagas Shorts- An excellent intro to the Partagas line. Small and full of POW these things deliver shots of flavor and leave you wanting more, nuff said.
Partagas Serie D No 4- This cigar is another one that's talked about in depth. Same as the Monte 2 it suffers from inconsistencies because of volume of production. However, just like the Monte 2, when ON, they're spectacular, when off they're blah. Same rules apply
Partagas 898 Varnished- These get talked up a lot because of they really are that good. They're like candy and once you start smoking 'em its hard to stop. The rich strong and sometimes spicey flavor gives you a good idea of what the Party line is all about.
Por Larranaga Petit Corona's- You won't find many of these around nowadays but they're good, nice and creamy with a sweetness that will send you searching for more cabs. Try 'em, if you can find 'em.
Punch Punch- What a good medium bodied cigar should aspire to be like. Smooth and creamy with the last 1/4 delivering a knockout punch. Excellent cigars to cut your teeth on.
Ramon Allones Specially Selected- One dimensional when young but great when aged. Nice smooth tobacco flavor with a nice woody aftertaste. Long finish and ages great in cabs.
Romeo y Julieta Cazadores- Not a huge fan of the RyJ line but I smoke these. Nice and strong with a peppery flavor profile. Old school full flavored strenght stick.
Romeo y Julieta Churchills- The best the RyJ line has to offer. Exquisite flavor that comes straight from the island. Hefty and calming and produces tons of aromatic smoke.
San Cristoba De La Habana El Principe- A nice short smoke with tons of coffee flavor and a dark espresso like wrapper. Deep for a short smoke with not too much complexity.
Saint Luis Rey PC's- The second best of the line. Nice cinnamon flavors with a raisin-y after taste. Great flavors that border on a medium strength. One of my faves around lunch
Saint Luis Rey Serie A- Talked about a lot but not really representative of the SLR line. Mild to medium at best with a wood flavor and very faint Cuban "Twang". Good to experience but not a must IMO.
Sancho Panza Non Plus-Decent cigar and it represents how unassuming the SP line is but there are better vitola's in the line
Trinidad Reyes- Little drops of heaven. Flavor bombs at best, sweet creamy Habano goodness with occassional fruity flavors that delight your mouth. These are a staple in any humi.
Trinidad Fundadore- Talked about and with good reason. The best the Trini line has to offer. Refined, elegant, and rewarding cigar that requires patience to smoke it properly. when aged properly they are near to being a legend. A must try for all Habano virgins. See why IceHog likes 'em so much.
Vegas Robaina Famosos- A good intro to the VR line that is so underappreciated IMO. Spicey and leathery that progresses into a coffee like flavor. Nice strength and it'll make you respect Alejandro Robaina after this.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
mk05
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post
1990s Monte #2
LRE09 LGC Tainos
LBT10 Cohiba Behike 54
AME13 Hoyo Epicure #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

I don't know why people laugh at suggestions like this. The OP asked for "the top 5 cigars that encompass that a range a new Cuban smoker should try." Why not recommend the proper experiences so that he can understand how good Cuban cigars can be? All he has to do is request these on an "In Search Of" thread, no?

There are too many cigars that it can be overwhelming for new smokers curious about the world of Habanos. In my opinion, newcomers should be enlightened - experience something truly amazing - to bring them into the community. When we attend a herf or visit friends, we share the best (subjectively speaking). These memories are etched forever, not just because of the company, but also due to the quality of the cigars. And, once you have an idea of what is really great, it is easier to navigate through the Habanos portfolio to ascertain what is quality, and what is not.

This is just my opinion, of course. The OP can take what he wants from the discussion! The post previous by porchdweller is very nice as well, but I find that tobacco (like grapes) is vintage driven! More transparency - more information - is always preferable to less.
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

We don't allow "in search of Cubans" threads on Cigar Asylum, Marc.

Totally agree that the experienced smokers like to share their very best with new smokers at the herfs we attend. It's wonderful that the cigar community is such a generous place. That being said, I don't own a single 1980s Romeo y Julieta Churchill, 1990s Monte #2, LGC Tainos, Cohiba Behike 54 or Hoyo Epicure #2. And while we both have a bunch of balla friends, the majority of my friends do not either (save the Epicures, I just hate those ).

Maybe you captured the spirit of what BGK-J was asking in his original post, I was just guessing he meant more realistic and obtainable cigars. There's no doubt that the cigars you suggested would be a nice sampling of what Cubans can be at their very best.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:16 PM   #8
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

My top 5

Cohiba Robusto
Monte #4
Quai d’Orsay corona (the cigar that made me “get it”, coming from NCs)
PSD4
RASS

YMMV, but I think that gives a nice panel. I don’t like pyramids, so I tend not to recommend them. If you do, switch the Monte #4 for a Monte #2

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:17 AM   #9
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

I would suggest the following,

H. Upmann Mag 46
Bolivar Petit Corona
Por Larranga Petit Corona
Cohiba Siglo IV
Ramon Allones Special Select
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote