Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 05-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #961
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Games thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
Word! The last game I bought on disc was SC2.
Posted via Mobile Device
What I'd really like is some of the classics in discless. Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour, Dungeon Keeper 2, etc. I know there's some "classic games" source kicking around out there. But IIRC it still ships media.
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #962
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwilliamflint View Post
What I'd really like is some of the classics in discless. Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour, Dungeon Keeper 2, etc. I know there's some "classic games" source kicking around out there. But IIRC it still ships media.
GOG.com offers some classics for download. I picked up "The Journeyman Project 2" from them not too long ago. Give them a look

And if you are looking to go REAL oldschool, look up DOSbox. It is an emulator to be able to play classics from WIN95. You'll have to download backups of the images online (for games you legally own, of course) and/or rip your own discs to use it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #963
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Quote:
GOG.com offers some classics for download. I picked up "The Journeyman Project 2" from them not too long ago. Give them a look

And if you are looking to go REAL oldschool, look up DOSbox. It is an emulator to be able to play classics from WIN95. You'll have to download backups of the images online (for games you legally own, of course) and/or rip your own discs to use it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nice, thanks o/

I've never quite committed enough attention to it to get DOSbox up and running. But I've been doing this since Wizardry 1 on the Apple ][ and I'd like to hit some of the classics again.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #964
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Nice, thanks o/

I've never quite committed enough attention to it to get DOSbox up and running. But I've been doing this since Wizardry 1 on the Apple ][ and I'd like to hit some of the classics again.
But you can play Sierra: Life in the Fast Lane

That game makes me reminisce in a big way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #965
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Quote:
I am SO looking forward to All Points Bulletin. Game looks awesome!
I posted that on 05-24-2010.

Holy cow, was I ever wrong. That game TANKED.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #966
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Just beat Mafia II, wow it was stupid. Half a game, there was no use for half the features in the game.....pathetic.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #967
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Default Brink

If you're an FPS team guy, Brink is really quite intense. Unfortunately it's not quite my style. Very solid game though. I can highly recommend it if your genre matches.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #968
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: Brink

Quote:
If you're an FPS team guy, Brink is really quite intense. Unfortunately it's not quite my style. Very solid game though. I can highly recommend it if your genre matches.
It is different. I like it, but it is certainly more akin to Team Fortress than COD. Wish the player base was bigger though, I don't think it sold very well, half the time i'm playing with bots.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #969
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Quote:
It is different. I like it, but it is certainly more akin to Team Fortress than COD. Wish the player base was bigger though, I don't think it sold very well, half the time i'm playing with bots.
I heard Brink was SUPER buggy, and that the AI was terrible. I didn't bother to pick it up for those reasons.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #970
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Hmmm I might look into Brink soon. Playing The Witcher 2 right now, so far iffy....not sure how I feel. The combat sucks that's for sure but the story seems like it's going somewhere...
Old 05-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #971
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
I heard Brink was SUPER buggy, and that the AI was terrible. I didn't bother to pick it up for those reasons.
It has had a few patches post release, to be honest aside from some frame rate issues I didn't notice anything game breaking before. The AI is indeed crap though, which is frustrating given how few people are playing it. Stalemates aplenty because the AI is too stupid to act as a team. If you are looking for a good team based shooter Team Fortress 2 is still the better choice.

I also picked up the Witcher 2. Agree with the Bill, the combat sucks but the story is kind of interesting. Still on the fence about it, don't think i'll finish it but it is kinda fun in small doses.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #972
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

Playing L.A. Noire.

And enjoying it very much.. Story is very good, gameplay has both some shooting and a bunch of puzzles, plus you get to beat the crap out of suspects.

Its not quite the action of a GTA or a Red Dead Redemption, but it adds a whole new element to the game engine.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #973
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Quote:
It has had a few patches post release, to be honest aside from some frame rate issues I didn't notice anything game breaking before. The AI is indeed crap though, which is frustrating given how few people are playing it. Stalemates aplenty because the AI is too stupid to act as a team. If you are looking for a good team based shooter Team Fortress 2 is still the better choice.
After noodling with it a bunch this weekend I may warm up to it.

I haven't encountered any playtime bugs at all after about 3-4 hours of play.

The only thing I suspect might be a bug is that the weapon selections don't have descriptions. There's a list of stats for each, which is fine for selecting one, but there's no text. Tough to tell if there's supposed to be, having never seen it.

I may re-buy Crysis as I can't find the dvd. But then I might just pick up C2 and go with that.

The new gaming rig I got on Friday is a hot piece of kit. I keep going back to older stuff, maxing out the graphics and watching what I'd been missing.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:16 AM   #974
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Quote:
The new gaming rig I got on Friday is a hot piece of kit. I keep going back to older stuff, maxing out the graphics and watching what I'd been missing.
What are the specs? Did you build it yourself or buy it already configged?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #975
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
I also picked up the Witcher 2. Agree with the Bill, the combat sucks but the story is kind of interesting. Still on the fence about it, don't think i'll finish it but it is kinda fun in small doses.
Eh, I'm still playing it...I can say one thing though. This game has some decent time to it. Too bad quite a bit of it is spent walking around the REALLY annoying terrain.

I really think that if they released it a year later with some better testers and less annoying gameplay...it could have been a solid 8.5-9/10. For me now it's a 7.5-8
Old 05-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #976
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Quote:
What are the specs? Did you build it yourself or buy it already configged?
Posted via Mobile Device
Half and half. I bought a barebones rig that I love. (high end motherboard, mid-range cpu designed for overclocking. Lots of upgrade potential.) With a 1T drive and a big old vid card. So I didn't really have to do much.

Here's the breakdown:
  • Barebones kit
  • The video card is a: "XFX Radeon HD 6950 800M 2GB DDR5 Mini DP/DVI PCIE"Oddly I can't seem to find it on the Tiger Direct site. (I can find 1g cards all day. But the 2g card I'm having trouble with.
  • Hard drive
  • Bought a plain old dvd burner and win7-64 professional.
Just plugged it in, put the win7-64 dvd iand go. (No keyboard, mouse, monitor or speakers with that. I've got all that silliness.)

Installed steam and had it go get all my stuff while I went to work
Old 05-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #977
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

The Witcher 2

Combat 6/10 - This is where the game really lacked, mouse click = fighting. The entire combat is comprised of one mouse click, the keys X and Q. That is it.
Story 9/10 - Great interesting story, the end fell a little flat IMO though.
Gameplay 7.5/10 - At times confusing and doesn't really explain much.

Overall rating, ...eh it's worth playing once if you have nothing else to play. But that's about it. If they would have improved the combat, and maybe added a few hours to the gameplay.....

I could go on and on but I'm sure this makes the point.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #978
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Ok Solo FPS, reasonable single-player and online action.

Whatcha like?

I need to just go blow s*** up.

Brink would work if it weren't so damn teamy.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #979
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Quote:

Whatcha like?

When I'm looking for a quick killing-streak fix I usually reach for Counter-Strike Source or MW2. It all depends on how much of a dick I feel like being.

Let me elaborate on the way I play MW2. I load into a map and say one of a few phrases "LOL NOOB TUBE" "LOL CAMPING WITH A THERMAL SCOPE" "LOL UMP" etc. I play that game when I'm in a be-a-jerk-online kind of mood.

CS:S is pretty fun. And when you load into a gungame, it is really fast paced with zero team work involved. Gungame is also popular in condition zero.

There aren't any really modern day shooters (Other than Black Ops, but you already know about that one I'm sure) that are lone-wolf. CS:S, unreal tourney, etc. were all a blast and had no team work required. You always have the option to work as a team - and it is more needed on objective based maps/modes.

However, CS:S and UT don't fulfill your single player bit. I'd recommend BF:BC2 or MoH for single player. I play through old school Medal of Honor: Allied Assault every few years. Still a fantastic game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #980
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:

Whatcha like?

Crysis 2 would fit the bill for a new game. I actually like the single player more than the multiplayer, but multi isn't bad at all. Maybe try one of the Mount and Blades for something a little different?