Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough
Default moving from big bowl pipes to small...

I started out like most people do "oh look at all this pipe i'm getting for the money. HUGE BOWL = WIN!" and I've now seemed to progress to the other end of the spectrum and I'm now looking for smaller bowl pipes. In looking at what I have in the racks I have mostly large bowl VA/VAPER pipes and small bowl english pipes and that worked great for a few years. But now I don't have the time, or sometimes I just get bored with smoking one blend for hours on end, hence where the smaller bowls come in.

I'm sitting here looking at my racks and realizing there are pipes that I haven't smoked in quite a few months, some because they don't smoke well others because I just look at them and go, "I don't want to smoke this much of a va blend today". yes I know I can just load less into the pipe but there comes a point where I can either load up a full bowl of english in a 1950's Kaywoodie or I can load a 1/2 bowl of VA into a Stanwell horn and 9/10 I'm reaching for the smaller woodie. Now I just need to find me some smaller bowl pipes to smoke VA/vaper in or try and change and smoke the english out of them.

so whats the point to this post, I'm not sure I have one other then it's wednesday night and I'm feeling a bit pipe reflective after coming up empty on ebay. However, I wonder if my experiences may help other new smokers. I know it's tempting to go out and grab that massive bowl freehand that your shop has over the smaller bowl pipe but sometimes it's worth it to downsize. I was talking with the pipe guy at my local shop and he's in the same boat as I am, he's got a whole rack (course his rack is much bigger then mine) of pipes he doesn't smoke because they're too big for him so yes it happens to more people then just myself and in talking to other long term smokers too. So new guys take this as you will and happy puffin
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation
Default Re: moving from big bowl pipes to small...

I know what you mean, Kevin. I have a semi-churchwarden that is perfect for a 15-20 min smoke. Check them out!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I know what you mean, Kevin. I have a semi-churchwarden that is perfect for a 15-20 min smoke. Check them out!
I've really gotten into the older woodies, great old briar, smoke great, and just the right bowl size. I must have 4 or 5 now and that's what really got me to this realization. I'll have to check out others that have the a similar bowl size
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Professor Mike
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Michael
Trading: (2)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
Professor Mike is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: moving from big bowl pipes to small...

Kevin:
Same senario here. Bigger is not always better
Old 07-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Alpedhuez55
Fat Bastard

First Name: Michael
Trading: (8)
SP
Alpedhuez55 is on a distinguished road

I think big bowls are OK sometimes, but the can lead to a lot of wasted tobacco since on some it can be tough to get to the bottom of the bowl.

Cobs are good for short smokes. I have heard good things about the Baby Bents at Pipes and Cigars:

http://store.pipesandcigars.com/babybentpipes.html

I have a few pipes with small bowls that are great for a 15-20 minute smoke. One is a Peterson, a small Boswell and couple of others are basket pipes. One of the backet pipes, a small Bulldog, is actually an exceptional smoker.
Alpedhuez55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I have a good mixture of pipes with big and small bowls. If I'm trying a new blend of something I reach for my smaller bowls. My favs get a big bowl. I like to spend a lot of time with my favorites so it works out good. I definitely find tho the smaller pipes smoke a little better for me.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
Requiem

When I started smoking (mearely 1 year ago), I read some veteran smoker's text about tobaccos and pipe shapes.
Besides the generic "flakes into narrow pipes", "virginias into thick walls" advises, I remember him stating that he always used smaller bowl pipes for smoking virginias, because by the end of the bowl the virginias would show all their splendor and he wanted to get there faster and more often, so even if he was in the mood for a long smoke, having two smaller bowls was better then having one big bowl...

I've followed those thumb rules, and virginias go in smaller pipes, while english blends (which are the ones I smoke the most) go into bigger bowls.

Also, I tend to choose the shape of the pipe according to some personal habits. For instance: I usually smoke virginias as the first pipe of the day, while taking breakfast or already at my working desk... so, a sitter comes very handy, because I'm multi-tasking and being able to put the pipe down anywhere is good.
One of my next buys will probably be a full-bent or 3/4 bent for english blends, which I smoke normally after dinner, while typing and surfing the web, and I need to keep my hands free.
These personal preferences are, in my opinion, the best way to choose which blend a pipe gets dedicated to. If, as an example, you like to smoke your churchwarden while reading, and if you read after dinner, then dedicate the churchwarden to the stuff you usually smoke after dinner.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Peterson makes a nice tankard shape that I love, small bowl.