Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
meatcake
Meaty Cakey Goodness

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (0)
RA
meatcake is on a distinguished road
Default Meatcake's Take: Liga Privada L-40 (a Meme-Verbal Review)

Hello all,

Welcome everyone to Meatcake's Take! Today I will be reviewing the Ever Elusive.....Liga Privada Unico L-40.

Today I will be doing a Meme-Verbal Review which is a Meme review and a Verbal Review. Hope you like it!

Liga Privada L-40: The Meme Review (now with kittens!!)

Size: 7 x 40 (Lancero)
Wrapper: Connecticut Stalk Cut Habano
Binder: Brazilian Mata Fina
Filler: Nicaragua
Strength: Medium-Full

Liga Privada L-40 Verbal Review: (now with more cow bell...ok not really...)

Size: 7 x 40 (Lancero)
Wrapper: Connecticut Stalk Cut Habano
Binder: Brazilian Mata Fina
Filler: Nicaragua
Strength: Medium-Full

Pre-Light:

The L-40 is a beautiful cigar with its oily exterior, gorgeous color and the always killer band. The feel of it is firm with a slight soft spot in the middle, but nothing I think I will have to worry about.
After a nice cut, the cold draw brings a sweet tobacco flavor with hints of vanilla and cocoa. I smoked this bad boy outdoors, with no drink, on a cloudy/coldish day with no wind.
Smoke time:
Start: 11:45am
Finish: 1:35pm

1st Third:

Right off the bat I am greeted with a slight blast of pepper but more than that, I get a taste I have yet to taste in a cigar.....my first ever...RAISIN flavor. A nice surprise indeed especially when coupled with the light cocoa and spice. The draw is slightly tight but I power through it, taking smallish puffs and waiting the requisite minute between puffs.
The burn line is insanely sharp and right at the end of the first third, the draw opens up and is now PERFECT!

Retrohale:

Very little spice with those hints of Raisin and cocoa.

2nd Third:

This is quickly becoming my favorite Liga Privada. The spice kicks in a bit on the 2nd third, bring more pepper into the mix. The cocoa has kicked up and notes of coffee are dancing around on my palate as well...like little pixies at play on a cool winter day. YES PIXIES DAMMIT!!!
Right at the end of the 2nd Third, Leather slithers onto the palate and joins the coffee and chocolate party. The raisin flavor takes a back seat but the new flavors are pretty darn good together too!

Retrohale:

Woot! The raisin is still present on the retrohale, as are coffee and more spice. Pepper in nature but not overly peppery.

Last Third:

Leather and spice take over most of the flavor profile with the raisin pretty much out of the picture at this point. I have been nursing this cigar for darn near two hours now and I still can't get enough of it. I have always heard that you need to take your time with a Lancero so that it doesn't get a bitter or burned taste. Looks like that theory is sound because this never tastes bitter, or burned. Instead it is sweet and spicy on the palate with plenty of flavor to keep you going. The burn line is still holding strong and the ash seems to stick around for an inch at a time as long as I don't bump it.

Retrohale:

Cocoa and coffee with a spicy overtone. Just enough spice to keep it interesting, but never to the point where it stings the nostrils.

Final Thoughts:

I nubbed this sucker to the point of no return and enjoyed ever darn minute of it. The sucky part is I only have one of these left and I can pretty easily say, so far, this is my favorite Liga Privada cigar. A bold statement to some I am sure, but to me, the profile just hit me right and If I could, I would make a cereal out of this and eat it for breakfast! Fantastic taste, great construction, smoke as thick as a smoke stack and a finish on the palate like candied raisins dipped in chocolate. If ANYONE can find a box of these they are willing to let go. I would be glad to buy one!
meatcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Meatcake's Take: Liga Privada L-40 (a Meme-Verbal Review)

Great review I passed up getting one of these and regret it because I haven't seen one since!!
Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
meatcake
Meaty Cakey Goodness

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (0)
RA
meatcake is on a distinguished road

It is for sure, a solid smoke! They used to pop up now and then at a few B&M's in the area. I always used to pick up a few when I could. It has been a while though but I am hopeful.
meatcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
ironchefscott
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: scott
Trading: (5)
HUpmann
ironchefscott will become famous soon enough

Nice review! I hope to have the pixies dance sometime on my palate
ironchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote