Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #21
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Engagement rings (NOT FOR ME)

Go for yellow sapphire instead.

24 is way too young to get married unless she has big dowry...
Old 06-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post

Man, I tell ya. My wife would lose her head if it wasn't attached to her neck. I knew it would be a matter of time before it was lost really.

She keeps taking it off because her fingers get swollen and then she forgets to put it back on........................bam, lost.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #23
FriendlyMan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: JACK
Trading: (7)
FriendlyMan is on a distinguished road

is this a diamond or a colored stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Okay so it's looking like my brother is looking at these and I have ZERO advice to offer, besides the obvious "don't do it" .

Anyways he asked if I would post this as I know a lot of you are married or getting married.

Basically this is what he is looking for (I don't really understand most of it)

1.25-1.5 Caret
Round Stone
VS 1 to SI 1
Color F-I
Very good - Ideal Cut

I have no idea what he is willing to spend on this or how soon he's going to buy one but it's looking like ASAP.

School me on buying an engagement ring of this type. Where to buy is probably the ultimate question. He obviously wants something nice, but only knows what he can google. He has no personally experience or friends with experience (he's only 24).
FriendlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #24
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
Ok, just wondering.

Kay jewelers replaced the diamond for free if one ever fell out.

And that is one of the selling points, Kay and all the other chain jewelers have. Nothing wrong with it, and there is the convenience they are all over the country.

However, I got insurance at a price that will take 25 years of insurance premiums to equal the difference in cost between my jewler and Kay for similar sized diamond and ring.

Plus my policy guarantees for theft too. I don't think Kay would care. Not that you would need to tell them it was theft and not loss, semantics really.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #25
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

if you're a home owner just itemize jewelry on your home owner's insurance
Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #26
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post

My brother is one that can't be reasoned with...I tried.

Not the case.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #27
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

I must seem like a post whore but I did just go through this purchase, like last week, and been researching everything in my usual habit, so hard not to give out some more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post

Also an option. But when I looked into it my insurer would not pay for damage, only payout was theft and loss. The loss carried a larger deductable too, theft however did not. For the value I wanted to insure at it was $50 more a year to go seperate.

If we had more jewelry it would be more cost effective from what I found to add to my home owners however.

One of the biggest differences though with what I got is that you go back to your jeweler for replacements and repairs but also go back for periodic inspections.

The other difference is with my homeowners they pay me cash and I still have to go get a new diamond or repairs. With this policy, if we lose the stone it is replace with a like stone by the participating jeweler, no matter what the current market price of that stone.

So I have a $100 deductable that covers all damage, theft, loss etc. I thought it was a good deal. YMMV
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #28
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
My wife's ring costs up about $12 per 6 months, and the replacement value is significantly higher than that.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #29
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

I have the advantage of having a jeweler who is a distributor, so he gave me more knowledge than I will ever need about the diamond industry. I've posted this before, and some people have found it helpful. r

Find the Rapaport online, it will give you the best idea of what a diamond should cost. It is the industry standard for pricing and updates quarterly I believe. It isn't meant to be public, but there are certain sites out there who will have a copy, even if it is an old one.

Personally, I buy diamonds from a distributor, above a 'wholesaler', 'dealer' or individual store. Diamonds, like any item go up in price the further they travel. The best bet is finding a distributor who gets the diamonds straight from New York (point of entry for all diamonds). You will likely have to pay in cash or in full before you can take the finished product.

Avoid online jewelers like Blue Nile. They loosely group their diamonds into far more broad ranges than a jeweler would. They buy diamonds in bulk that are all 'similar' to the type that they are selling, they could be anywhere from 2-4 steps off of what you think you are buying. You could end up paying $1000 for a diamond that was supposed to be a certain weight, color and clarity but they send you a diamond that was close enough to the untrainned eye but ends up being worth $800 when appraised.

Know what you are looking at, learn the 4 C's before you go, this will also help with the Rapaport. Personally, buying a loose diamond and having it set is far more personal than buying a completed ring that anyone can buy. Always ask to use the jewelers magnifier to examine the diamond yourself. A good jeweler will point out the flaws in the diamond under the glass for you, this is so you can realize why the diamond was rated the way it was.

For metals, if you are going with a white/silver colored metal, I would recomend paladium over platinum and white gold. Paladium is a precious metal that is slightly more expensive than white gold but far less than platinum. White gold is essentially bleached gold and will yellow over time and need to be redone to return to its 'white' color. Platinum is far more expensive but also far more labor intensive, it scratches far too easy and must be buffed out periodically. Paladium is brighter, more scratch reistant and whiter than both the other two. For the price, I don't think you can beat the look.

Have an idea what type of ring she would like: solitare vs. three stone, plain band vs. design, square cut vs. round cut, etc. If you have a basic idea, you should be able to customize a ring that she will love.

Best of to him luck with the search.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #30
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Check out Craigslist and eBay. Lots of deals to be had as half of the marriages end up in divorce anyway and they're willing to cut their losses by selling rings cheap.
The resale on any jewelry will never be close to the original price paid. Try pawning an engagement ring and watch the owners laugh when you want even half what you paid for it.

Personally, for my money, I wouldn't want to buy a piece of jewelry that was intended for someone else's marriage/wife/fiance/girlfriend. It might just be me, but there is a reason that piece of jewelry is no longer on the woman's finger, maybe its bad ju-ju or whatever, but superstition of not, its not as heartfelt snagging someone's used jewelry. About as close as I would get would be buying loose stones on the 'personal' market and creating a new piece from it.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #31
jdakine
Sawadee

First Name: Jay
Trading: (34)
Partagas
jdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
Well, a standard 1.5 carat solitaire w/ a clarity rating of SI1-SI2 with a color in the G-H range will run him around 14k-18k at most of your box jewelry stores (Kay, Jared, etc) . Obviously if he wants to step it up to a VS status and F color it will increase in price exponentially. Best idea is to have a friend who actually works in the jewelry business so he can get you a decent price on the perfect loose stone first, and then choose a setting second.

However, if he doesn't know someone in that industry, best practice is to spend a week or two going into various jewelry stores and taking 20-30 mins to talk with a salesman about what he's looking for and what they have to offer. Places like Tiffany's & Cartier have big names that his fiance will recognize if she's into that. Both good places to start.
Agree. I would go into a Tiffany store. They have a little diamond book that will help you understand about the 4 C's. The Sales Professionals are well trained with product knowledge and have access to inventory domestically.
Good Luck