Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #41
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation
Default Re: How Much Ammo??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
With all that ammo you guys have, I have just one question....
Aren't you afraid it will go bad??
In all seriousness, I have military surplus ammo from the '30s and '40s that still shoots fine. If it's kept dry, it lasts a long time.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #42
DonnieW
I'm around...

First Name: Donnie
Trading: (11)
Partagas
DonnieW has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
In all seriousness, I have military surplus ammo from the '30s and '40s that still shoots fine. If it's kept dry, it lasts a long time.
7.62 x 39 here too. It's older than dirt and still fires. I've not had a dud in the SKS yet. I wouldn't doubt the storage conditions were less than ideal before I got them.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:27 PM   #43
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

Between me and my father...........
Well, lets put it this way, I built us a 4ft wide x 2ft deep x 6ft tall ammo shelf. Its so full, I'm glad I used 3/4" plywood with reinforcements. Then, in the garage where we do our reloading, we have a desk with numerous storage bins filled with cleaning patches, rods, etc... ontop of the desk against the wall there is two shelves each about 8ft long x 3ft high x 2ft deep full of powder, bullet heads, numerouse army ammo cans full of emtpy brass, and primers. Then we have 2 filling cabinets stacked on the side of the desk. 2 drawers for dies alone. A few drawers for reloading books and binders. 2-3 drawers for misc tools. I need to take pics of them one day and show ya'll the madness that it is.
Funny thing is, we don't have any "no smoking" signs in our garage...... anyone dumb enough to walk in there smoking... better be on fire!

If there ever is a fire at my dad's............... you will see it in the ABC Nightly News.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #44
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Not enough, but hope to never be in a prolonged gunfight.
I have noticed that ammo I like is easier to find as opposed to a year or two ago.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:07 PM   #45
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Trading: (34)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice

Hmmmm let me see .... I thinks....
7.62x39 5000
45ACP 5000
.357 2000
.41 Mag 2000
.380 2000
444 1000
45 Long Colt 3000
30-06 2000
But if you add in all my Mormon Buddies up here we probably have 10 Million between us all
Old 05-31-2010, 08:25 PM   #46
catfish2

I don't have anything, and have never heard of the stuff.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 PM   #47
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

I have about 2k lbs of lead in the back yard, 100+ lbs of black powder, several molds and equipment to roll my own. I figure I can skirmish for another 10 years or so. Modern stuff? Maybe 1500 rounds of .223, .40, 9mm and .22. Not nearly enough.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:29 PM   #48
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebayratt View Post
If there ever is a fire at my dad's............... you will see it in the ABC Nightly News.

Friend of mine's dad had the full reloading setup in his garage in the city. That also happened to be where he was storing his guns and a moderate amount of ammo. I was sleeping over the night the garage caught fire................

Quite an interesting night to say the least! Fortunately for him he lives a few hundred yards from both the police and fire stations, and didn't have a ton of powder on hand at the time
Old 06-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #49
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Neither of us have enough Ron.

Apparently not Dave - just look at some of those lists!

We get a Zombie attack and we are gonna have to combine supplies. And I'm bringing my machete just in case - LOL

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #50
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
Apparently not Dave - just look at some of those lists!

We get a Zombie attack and we are gonna have to combine supplies. And I'm bringing my machete just in case - LOL

Ron
Better start practicing with the machete. You figure if Zombies hit, Even a 20,000 rnd stockpile is going to get worn down eventually. At which point EITHER you're one of the last humans left and you can steal everyone elses ammo, or they already used it all up in their own defense and you better be comfortable with the blade
Old 06-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #51
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
definately gotta keep it sealed up in cans. last a couple decades that way, at least. Then you rotate your stock and fire through it every once in a while.
Meh, I have Korean 30-06 for the M1 that still shoots great. Don't soak your ammo in water (or live in Florida, but if you're there no amount of ammo will save you anyhow) and ammo lasts just fine.

As for amounts, I stopped buying back when the price of 5.56 and 7.62 went over $200 a case. Still have a pretty reasonable supply though as I don't shoot much anymore. Last count was about 15kish not including .22lr. But that was a few years ago.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #52
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
SSDVC is on a distinguished road

Around here they are now documenting who is buying powder and how much, even at gun shows. Soon, ammo is going to be regulated. Our free way of life is going down the tubes!
SSDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #53
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDVC View Post
Around here they are now documenting who is buying powder and how much, even at gun shows. Soon, ammo is going to be regulated. Our free way of life is going down the tubes!
They've started doing that everywhere for purchases over a certain amount.

bastarxds figured out a few years ago that Gun control won't work, but ammo control would.......
Old 06-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #54
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

Coming from Cali,cant we just talk it out with the zombies and convince them to eat tofu?
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #55
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_mike View Post
Coming from Cali,cant we just talk it out with the zombies and convince them to eat tofu?

A good friend a couple months ago announced they were moving to cali and tried to convince me I should go there too. I think that about sums up 1/2 the reason I wasn't too interested in setting up residence there! (nothing against cali.... but you can't have my guns!!)
Old 06-03-2010, 05:04 AM   #56
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I agree with you Francis. I don't have anything against Cali residents, but I plan on never setting foot in CA. If there is a Mega HERF I might have to consider it though.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #57
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
Last count was about 15kish not including .22lr. But that was a few years ago.
Dang! ! ! I gotta get reloading.
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #58
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I agree with you Francis. I don't have anything against Cali residents, but I plan on never setting foot in CA. If there is a Mega HERF I might have to consider it though.
You know, it's really not that bad here. There's no FOID or some of the other really crappy laws some of the other states have. Rather be here than in Chicago area, New York, or Jersey.

Greg, I think I shot up or gave away a big chunk of that. Here's some of the remnants.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #59
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
You know, it's really not that bad here. There's no FOID or some of the other really crappy laws some of the other states have. Rather be here than in Chicago area, New York, or Jersey.
Got a point there. the state of IL has got to be one of the worst by far.

Although its still going to be tough to get a CCW in Cali
Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #60
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Got a point there. the state of IL has got to be one of the worst by far.

Although its still going to be tough to get a CCW in Cali
Really depends on where you are. If you live near SF or LA, it's almost impossible. If you live in Northern CA or in the mountains they are a piece of cake to get.