Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #61
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: People never cease to amaze me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
A recent Supreme Court decision may change all that. IIRC, in a case involving a DC ban on pistols, the Justices ruled that gun bans are un-Constitutional.
Let's keep our fingers crossed.
G G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:32 AM   #62
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
As for Carlos' neighbors, all I'm saying is, they MAY OR MAY NOT be a-holes, but without KNOWING what they did, it's like judging a beauty contest in the dark.
Well, being the inquisitive butt head that I am, I ran into my next door dingbat yesterday and just saw the one across the street, next door to the one that came out.

I asked both the same question. "Hey, the other day, did you hear my alarm going off in the middle of the day?".

Their responses were almost mirror images of one another. Almost as if the responses came from one mind and not two.

Here is what they said.
"Yeah, we heard it. Didn't know it was yours. Figured it was a false alarm."

I then asked, why would you figure it was a false alarm v. a real, actual alarm?
They similarly said most are false.

I then asked what if it had been my alarm going off due to my smoke detector which is part of my monitored alarm system?
What if my pet was all alone and could have been saved by the fire? What if I had a heart attack and was passed out? What if I was consumed by smoke? What if it was my wife?
Neither considered that.

So, according to my neighbors, 3 of the 7, one worried about me and was concerned enough to look outside to see what was going on. That didn't involve risking his life in any way as evidenced by the fact he is still alive, well and not harmed in any way.
Two others wrote it off as a false alarm, not having any way of knowing the difference between a false one and a real one.

Mind you, the one next door travels often. Who do you think she asks to look out for her home as they have tried to break in a couple of times already?
Yeah, the guy with the freaking false alarm that instead we will just ignore it.
Good luck to her next time she needs me to look out for her home.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:47 AM   #63
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

That sucks. Sadly I am sure you are a good person by a fault like myself and even though your pissed you will still keep an eye out on their home while they are away. There is a reason why the saying "Good guys finish last" exists.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #64
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
even though your pissed you will still keep an eye out on their home while they are away.

Yeah, I know.
I think that is what has me yet more pissed.

Something I forgot to mention that I think is important.
This was the first time I have heard an alarm in my neighborhood in at least a year or two.
As far as my house goes, this is the first time it has gone off since the last test that was done about three years ago.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #65
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
It's not just today's society. Remember the parable of the Good Samaritan? Only one person stopped to help the injured man who was almost dead. That story is 2,000 years old.
True.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #66
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

I would only trust one neighbor to have my back.
Interestingly,it's the loony tune ex-military guy.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #67
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Well, being the inquisitive butt head that I am, I ran into my next door dingbat yesterday and just saw the one across the street, next door to the one that came out.

I asked both the same question. "Hey, the other day, did you hear my alarm going off in the middle of the day?".

Their responses were almost mirror images of one another. Almost as if the responses came from one mind and not two.

Here is what they said.
"Yeah, we heard it. Didn't know it was yours. Figured it was a false alarm."

I then asked, why would you figure it was a false alarm v. a real, actual alarm?
They similarly said most are false.

I then asked what if it had been my alarm going off due to my smoke detector which is part of my monitored alarm system?
What if my pet was all alone and could have been saved by the fire? What if I had a heart attack and was passed out? What if I was consumed by smoke? What if it was my wife?
Neither considered that.

So, according to my neighbors, 3 of the 7, one worried about me and was concerned enough to look outside to see what was going on. That didn't involve risking his life in any way as evidenced by the fact he is still alive, well and not harmed in any way.
Two others wrote it off as a false alarm, not having any way of knowing the difference between a false one and a real one.

Mind you, the one next door travels often. Who do you think she asks to look out for her home as they have tried to break in a couple of times already?
Yeah, the guy with the freaking false alarm that instead we will just ignore it.
Good luck to her next time she needs me to look out for her home.
It looks like you do, indeed, have some asswipe neighbors, and you know which ones they are, and knowing is a lot better than guessing.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #68
darkleeroy
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Josh
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
darkleeroy is on a distinguished road

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese

That was almost 50 years ago.

But, on the plus note, I make sure to always go out and see what's going on when I hear an alarm.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #69
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleeroy View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese

That was almost 50 years ago.

But, on the plus note, I make sure to always go out and see what's going on when I hear an alarm.
I'm not a fan of the death penalty but that guy needs to go down. Crazy or not, he is a menace to society. I like the fact that he was crazy, yet still earned a B.A. in Sociology. WTF?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #70
darkleeroy
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Josh
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
darkleeroy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
I'm not a fan of the death penalty but that guy needs to go down. Crazy or not, he is a menace to society. I like the fact that he was crazy, yet still earned a B.A. in Sociology. WTF?
Well, it was an example to show that the bystander effect has been pretty prevalent for at least two and a half generations of American civilization. And was more to explain that even back then people weren't that good at looking out for other people.

As long as they can persevere through the curriculum, I've seen mentally challenged people get a college degree.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #71
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleeroy View Post
Well, it was an example to show that the bystander effect has been pretty prevalent for at least two and a half generations of American civilization. And was more to explain that even back then people weren't that good at looking out for other people.

As long as they can persevere through the curriculum, I've seen mentally challenged people get a college degree.
I recognized the purpose of the article; I'm just sayin...

I guess crazy people can get a degree. There are a lot of teachers who earned a degree in Education who don't seem capable of tying their own shoes.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote