Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #41
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Budding audiophile/vinyl questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
i don't consider Klipsch speakers to be high quality. they are plain and simple loudspeakers. i own a whole set. yes, i like them. but i would not say they are high sound quality. just my two cents.
Agreed. Klipsch is primarily a mass-consumer brand. They do have some higher end models, but are priced accordingly.

Quote:
i agree with all this, but 99% of people cannot pick up on this. most people cannot tell the different been and 320k mp3 and a CD.
This is true until heard on high end audio equipment. Once speakers get into the top tier, it's hard to find a recording that does not show faults in the recording or format. It's like buying music that sounds good on the stereo instead of buying music that is appealing on its own.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #42
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

I have lots of vinyl albums stored from the way back then days.
It is only after I got into quality digital that I realized the amazing sounds I was missing on vinyl.
While nostalgic, not something I would want over the convenience of digital, with no storage issues for albums.
I had not played one of my vinyl albums in so many years that I ultimately got rid of my turntable, which was a very high end, DJ type Technics.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #43
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Quote:
i don't consider Klipsch speakers to be high quality. they are plain and simple loudspeakers. i own a whole set. yes, i like them. but i would not say they are high sound quality. just my two cents.
Years ago, I was in the audio business and was fortunate enough to travel to Hope, AR and actually met and chatted with Paul Klipsch. The Klipsch speakers of today are a far cry from the speakers that were being built when Paul was around. That was back in the day when people actually LISTENED to their audio systems.

I recently read an article that said the "death" of quality audio reproduction was largely do to the increased availability of it. Folks don't sit and listen anymore; they jog, work out, do housework, etc. with their i-Pod on and don't "really" pay attention anymore. It's his opinion, but I did find it interesting.

When I was in the retail home / pro audio business, we sold McIntosh, Klipsch, JBL, Nakamichi, Denon, ADS, B&W, B&O, Thorens, etc....solid, high end analog stuff. It was a fun time. After that, I built and engineered in recording studios for a living for a few years. I can honestly say I have heard the best of the best when it comes to recording and reproduction. Stupid expensive Neumann microphones through custom preamps and modified consoles, onto a Studer analog tape machine with Mark Levinson modified electronics pulling 2" tape running at 30 ips, through a pair of full custom speakers in soffets with 4Kw of McIntosh power behind them....real bliss. Every time I worked in that room, it made me try harder and harder to make recordings of the quality that the system and room was capable of. Fun times....

Oh yeah, we were talking about turntables, weren't we...??....

Cheers - N.F.H.
BlindedByScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #44
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Budding audiophile questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
Oh.. and if anyone has any used equipment they want to sell, I'm in the freakin' market

LOL
My dad has some 25,000+ albums and tons of turntables and such. He's willing to sell some of it. PM me if there is something specific you want and I'll ask him.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #45
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Duddy, true audiophiles pay $1200 for specially tuned wooden knobs for their receivers. This thing is crazy.
For me, I found a point where "the rubber meets the road". Klipsch speakers on a Denon receiver sound great, and you can add all the crap in the world to it, if you like.
So far as a turntable goes, vinyl pops and cracks. That's the ambiance of vinyl. It's freakin cool. I've listened to tons when I was younger, and I can't say a Sesame Street lunch box turntable with a built-in speaker sounds any better or worse than the best turntable I've heard. My point being, don't spend a lot of money, go to yard sales. Make sure there's a needle in the deck and make sure the belt doesn't slip (there should be some tactile feedback when you spin the deck, sometimes the arm must be engaged to start the deck, so you may have to bring the needle close to the turntable).
Just have fun, bro-jam.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #46
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

For analog turntables / cartridges / styli replacements, this guy seems to have quite a selection.

They are styli...NOT "needles"......
BlindedByScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #47
TonySmith
Feeling at Home

Trading: (1)
AirForce
TonySmith has disabled reputation

Quote:
I don't know which speakers you own. When I bought my heresys, they were the cheapest speaker that Klipcsh made ($240 per speaker in 1979). The high end Klipschs are very expensive. I would put La Scalas against anything made today.
TonySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #48
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
+1. The lower in the line-up you go, the worse they make your ears bleed. Even the reference stuff is extremely bright.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:21 AM   #49
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

For analog / phonograph music, I like speakers with a detailed natural mid-range. Mid-range is where the music is. I think the Brit's have it down with speaker design even though my region the audiophile Mecca for North America.