Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 06-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #3541
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all
Default Re: What beers are you enjoying II?

I like a good Brut, I agree a lot of them dried up around here too but the ones that made good ones kept them on the menu, I'll usually get one if I'm looking for something lighter
Old 06-11-2020, 11:26 AM   #3542
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Brewery 12: Dogfish Head

World Wide Stout. I picked this up recently when I was digging through the cooler at my favorite bottle shop, for some reason they manage to get their hands on aged stuff (particularly DFH). I noticed two different labels for their WWS so I checked the dates, sure enough some were 2019 and some were 2016 so I grabbed a couple of the 16's. Typically I find DFH's higher ABV stuff ages really well (you may have heard me talk about the magic of old 120 minutes) so I was excited somebody did the hard part for me.

Poured this up last night and was a little disappointed. I was wholeheartedly expecting to try this and go back to buy everything else they had, but while I did enjoy it I didn't have that urge. It was good but it had an underlying maltiness that was a little hard to get past. At least they have truth in advertisement with the label "Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley."
Having tried a few of the other variants (vanilla oak, bourbon barrel aged) I think that this needs some wood aging to round everything out. I find this with a lot of stouts, often without the barrel aged component the amount of malt they need to get the ABV up is overpowering. See: Cerebral above, their Work From Home stout is ok, but the BA version is one of my favorite stouts. I think that's similar here, I won't be going back to buy more but I'll hang onto the extra I have. I tend to grab a bottle of an interesting DFH when I go into a liquor store and they don't have what I want but I want to give them some business so I have a couple of the others with a few years, I'll probably keep buying the BBA version when I see it at a decent price and stash it away

Side note: If anybody sees the Utopias barrel aged WWS please let me know
Old 06-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #3543
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Great review, Ben, even if it was a little disappointing.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #3544
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Still enjoyed it. I have a couple bottles of very malty ale from DFH that already have 5+ years on them, gonna let those sit for the long haul and see if that malt ever dissipates. I'm guess it will be very minimal but could be interesting
Old 06-11-2020, 03:39 PM   #3545
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Still enjoyed it. I have a couple bottles of very malty ale from DFH that already have 5+ years on them, gonna let those sit for the long haul and see if that malt ever dissipates. I'm guess it will be very minimal but could be interesting
P.S., UPPS says your package won't arrive until Monday. Hope it's that soon as USPS has been a little wonky lately.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #3546
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Brewery 13: Great Divide

Barrel Aged Yeti. Great Divide is one of the original Denver breweries, used to make a stop at one of the locations every time I visited Denver, moved here and ended up living less than a mile from their barrel bar where they do all the aging for a few years. Many nights were stumbled home, all in search of the elusive sasquatch. They have come out with so many different variants of this, some (vanilla, chocolate oak, espresso, oatmeal, double) have worked out better than some others (chai, thin mint, harvest), but I always go back to the standard Barrel Aged Yeti

This was as enjoyable as every other time I've had it, rounded out profile but enough booze to remind you the alcohol is there. Always consistent, this is on my go to list for when I'm really not in the mood the be disappointed

Old 06-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #3547
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Goose Island's representative is in the beer fridge
Old 06-15-2020, 03:58 PM   #3548
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Anyone tried Dragons Milk White?
Old 06-15-2020, 06:29 PM   #3549
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
Anyone tried Dragons Milk White?
I have not, Julian, but I've hard some poor reviews from friends who are fans of the regular release.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:20 AM   #3550
mmblz

Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

hehe ... I was kind of dubious and couldn't bring myself to buy it.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:24 AM   #3551
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Not interested. I've had other "White Stouts" before and have never been interested in a follow up pour. I think they're just trying to capture a bigger audience with their good brand name other than stout drinkers. Good for them, they can keep it all
Old 06-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #3552
Chainsaw13
Mřřse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Not interested. I've had other "White Stouts" before and have never been interested in a follow up pour. I think they're just trying to capture a bigger audience with their good brand name other than stout drinkers. Good for them, they can keep it all
I need to brew my “Dude Abides” imperial White Russian Stout again, then send you some. A white imperial with coffee, kahluah. First and only batch turned out ok. Not quite bottle bombs, but almost a geyser.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #3553
Chainsaw13
Mřřse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Oh yea, almost forgot. Old Nation Full Earth. Bueno.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #3554
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Peroni on the beach at the Jersey Shore!!!
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #3555
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Peroni on the beach at the Jersey Shore!!!
Wearing a Kangol?

Old 06-21-2020, 11:54 AM   #3556
Snook
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Leo
Bolivar
Snook is on a distinguished road

Starting with a classic — Dale’s Pale Ale. I have a few others lined up while I smoke some ribs today.
Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #3557
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snook View Post
Starting with a classic — Dale’s Pale Ale. I have a few others lined up while I smoke some ribs today.
Mickey's Big Mouth on deck?

Old 06-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #3558
Snook
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Leo
Bolivar
Snook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Mickey's Big Mouth on deck?
Mickey’s and Olde English. It was a hell of a day
Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #3559
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Brewery 14: Goose Island

2017 Bourbon County Brand Stout - Coffee Variant. This was a 6am on Black Friday outside the liquor store with a hot coffee and a CORO type of purchase. I realized that I never actually cracked one of the two coffee variants I picked up that year (back when these sold out in minutes not months), so this was a good opportunity to change that. What a treat, I can't compare to this same release fresh but I can imagine based on the subtlety of the coffee and the way it whisps in with the remnants of the bourbon barrels that time has been good to this one. One of the better beers I've had so far this year

It's going to be hard to drink the other bottle even though I have a feeling it's not going to get too much better, I've had 5 year old BCBS Coffee before and while good the coffee was mostly gone. It can't be directly compared because that was a different year, a different batch of coffee and a whole different recipe I presume but at some point it will be mostly gone

Old 06-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #3560
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Love it when their variants work, Ben. Sounds delish. The 2019 variants were a mixed bag.