Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 12-16-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
muziq
Local Artard

Trading: (4)
ERdM Army (Served With Honor)
muziq is on a distinguished road
Default Yrgacheffe--do you drink it puro, or blend it?

So the last few months I've been experimenting with putting together my own blends of nicely roasted beans from my fav local roaster, and brewing up the results in my devices of choice--a Mukka, a french press, and a free Gevalia drip (you know the one).

By and large I've enjoyed doing two- and three-been blends (usually in equal amounts) of various S. American beans, usually medium roast but occasionally tossing in some dark roast for fun. Some blends were better than others, but generally good results.

However, I've not had as much luck blending in African and Indonesian beans. My question thus is for those who blend: how much of a distinctive bean like yirg do you put into your blends? Just a little?

Clearly this is not the burning question of the ages, but if anyone has any suggestions or observations, I'm game.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
Resipsa

Default Re: Yrgacheffe--do you drink it puro, or blend it?

Heath, generally speaking I'll do a 50-50 blend with an African such as Harrar, substitute it for Yemen and blend it with a Java as an alternative to the classic Mocha-Java blend. You can also substitute a Sumatran for the Java, and use Harrar-Sumatra as different take on a Mocha-Java blend. Also very tasty. Have never tried that with Yirg, but I think the results could be interesting.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
muziq
Local Artard

Yeah, I was thinking about doing a pound up with 1/4 lb of yirg, 3/4 being a mix of two or three other creamy/nutty beans. There's something very bright and tangy that I like about yirg. I may try some of your suggestions and see what happens. I've got two weeks off over the holidays and nothing gainful to do with my time, so why not load up on coffee experiments?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Resipsa

I agree on the bright and tangy comments on the Yirg, it's actually a little TOO of both for my tastes to drink on a regular basis as an S.O. Just too light in the pants, it's a nice change of pace but reminds me a little too much of tea.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:26 AM   #5
muziq
Local Artard

Decided to get a couple blends made, one being 3/4 lb of Bolivian med roast, 1/4 lb of Misty Valley Yirg medium. Man is it smooth, nutty, but with a slight brightness that really does a number on the tastebuds. I'm taking your tip about a moka-java blend, with a med Kenyan/dark Sumatran up next. Thanks for all the great suggestions and ideas, Vic!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Yrgacheffe is wife & my preferred puro. We also mix it 50/50 with just about anything else. Presently drinking up a batch that is 1/3 each of - Columbian Buccamarenga, Sumatran, and Yirg.