Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #41
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzi16 View Post
in my experience the people that "only smoke Cubans" are full of it. after about 30 seconds of cigar discussion they show that they know virtually ZERO about cigars, let alone Cuban cigars.

...and their source is almost always "a friend of a friend who has family in Cuba"
You probably meet a lot of local people in B&M's. I've heard a lot of wild stories there as well. "I went to costa rica and for $5 I could smoke all the cubans I wanted". Or "I got this glass top box of cohibas are they real?".

Just because people smoke nothing but Cuban Cigars doesn't mean they are experts in the cigar world or know more than someone else. They just have a different cigar preference, that's all.

The CA community as a whole is much different. Plenty of people here smoke nothing but CC's, I don't find anyone here to be particularly elitist or having a poor attitude because of it. To think so would be a mistake.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #42
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Damn fine bit of reasoning there. Initially this forum was almost entirely made up of people who would rather have the CCs.
It MIGHT be drifting the other way now, but the CC love and knowledge here is still awfully strong.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #43
RichieBklyn
I'm going to smoke...

First Name: Richie bklyn
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
RichieBklyn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
I think this is probably a product of the development of the palate- specifically, the ability to pick up some of the more understated flavors in a cigar. There are some subtle flavors available in many CCs that are much less common in NCs. If one 'tunes in' to these flavors, there's an additional 'language' of flavors going on that, in my experience, is close to 'unspoken' in non-ISOM products. If the art of this particular language means anything to you (ie. if you care about those particular flavors and the interplay between them), there's really only one place you can go. For many smokers, it takes a fair amount of experience to begin noticing these flavors, so that may explain the tendency for smokers to lean toward Cuba as their experience expands.

Wow! So you basically are saying for an experienced smoker you believe more flavors can be generated from certain CC's that can not be found in NC's?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #44
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieBklyn View Post
Im very impressed by the amount of replys to all posts on this site, great job guys!

Ofcourse I will only smoke what I like. The point I am making is in my experiences talking to many life long smokers it seems like when people start smoking CC's thier is often a point of no return to NC's. They just stick with CC's ans almost rate NC's as second hand smokes. Although it doesn't seem that way by this group's responses.
From what I've watched over the years, lots of brothers do just as you said, ending up and stopping at cc's with seldom a look back.
There's another thing that happens, too...
Generally speaking, they've tried everything along the way. They've learned who makes good, solid nc's that have done it for years without a hitch. They've learned how to smell a "gimmick" or a cigar producer who's just in it for the coin. They've learned that it's not necessary to jump on every limited edition cigar, and know how to find a good value smoke.
I'd even go so far as saying that most all-cc or mostly-cc smokers tend to veer away from cc LE's and RE's, waiting until a buzz develops from seasoned, trusted botl's before they'll even consider jumping on something "new and improved".
That's the polar opposite of what a large (or at least vocal) portion of nc smokers do.
It's really a whole metamorphisis, and it's just plain fun. The whole trip.
Somewhere along the way the cigars teach a respectful tolerance of each other's desires (smoke what you like/live and let live), and that seems to spread out in all facets of their life. It's cool how the love of the leaf turns into a deep love of our brothers.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #45
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow! So you basically are saying for an experienced smoker you believe more flavors can be generated from certain CC's that can not be found in NC's?
Different ones that you can only get from cc's. Some really incredible ones, at that. Probably a lot more from cc's than all the nuances of all the nc's together, actually. But completely different.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #46
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
It seems to me the more people smoke (years) they tend to lean toward CC's as better than NC's. Any truth to this? I can't seem to figure out why? I have smoked about 10 CC's, premium brands mostly when out of the US, bought at an LCD. I have not found CC's to taste better than NC's. What am I missing?
Nothing. I prefer Nicaraguan tobacco. It's all about personal preference.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #47
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes. Bear in mind, I'm not saying that CCs necessarily display more flavors than NCs, but that there are particular flavors in many CCs that aren't common in NCs. As some have said earlier in the thread, CCs and NCs simply inhabit different regions of the flavor spectrum and the more subtle levels of flavor you're able to detect, the more prominent this difference can become. Pick your analogy:

Horror movies vs. musicals

Country music vs. classic rock

Mexican food vs. Japanese food

etc.

Some people like country music, but not classic rock. Some people like both. Until you have a firm idea what you do and don't find interesting, why limit yourself?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #48
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Let's Put It This Way: I've Never Gotten My Favorite Caramel Flavor From A NC, Although I Smoke & Enjoy Both!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #49
lilninjabuddy
Cigar Ninja

First Name: Derek
Trading: (2)
Montecristo
lilninjabuddy is on a distinguished road

I've gotten caramel from My Father. Delicious graham cracker, caramelly goodness!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #50
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
It was said somewhere above this that the modern day NC seems to be in a struggle to be the strongest or pepperiest. Neither of these are enjoyable to me. And unless you are Fuente or Padron, you seem to have trouble making an interesting cigar that is also mild to medium. So when it comes down to it, I do not smoke NCs because they do not taste good to me.
This is exactly my take on it too. There are a lot of NC's that I've never tried but most those that I have tend to be very one dimensional. There's no subtlety or nuance, it's like going to a Thai restaurant where they are so intent on making the food hot and spicy that they loose the flavours of the food itself.

Like everyone else said, smoke whatever appeals to your individual tastes but for mine money that's going to be a Cuban 9 or 10 times.... and my "source" is not a 'friend of a friend with family in Cuba'
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #51
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I consider smoking cigars akin to smoking a pipe - in this regard - you will find flavors in both that are similar, and then flavors in both that are vastly different. The subtleties of Virginia tobaccos are mild, and require more concentration and palate acclimatization to really appreciate than Aromatics, English, or Oriental tobaccos.

The same is true of CCs versus most NCs, especially the Nicaraugan sticks. Most NCs have their flavors boldly present right from the beginning, though some nuances can be noted to ephemerally appear in the background.

On the other hand, while CCs have some bold flavors, they are more subdued. And to get the most out of them, you need to focus on the flavors and aromas that are more subtle.

As someone else said, sometime those flavors are noted more in nose than in the mouth.

I like both, at different times.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #52
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
I totally agree!!

hehe
Quote:
No you don't.
Yes I do!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #53
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I'd also like to make the comment that I started smoking cigars with the General Cigar H.Upmann 2000 and the H. Upmann "Churchill"
which was a corona gorda, lol. I smoked them for years, and when they switched away from Cameroon wrappers, then I found Arturo
Fuente, smoked those for a few years, then found Padrons, smoked those for MANY years, and then got into ordering havanas WAY later
than most of my brothers, and after that I never looked back. You could therefore say that I have forgotten more about NCs than
some people know. I was a serious student of all things cigar, reading everything I could get my hands on. I act like a know-it-all
today because I feel like I DO know it all. Of course, I DON'T, far from it. But I FEEL like I do. Certainly enough to know what I like.
And of course, I abandoned the NC so long ago that I have NO IDEA of the things that are going on now, outside of the cursory
knowledge I get by loosely following the forum for those smokes here. So I now know what's hot, I just don't know why, lol.

And Bao, don't tell me what your opinion is, I KNOW, hahahaha.

Last edited by OLS; 03-29-2012 at 05:36 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #54
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
I'd also like to make the comment that I started smoking cigars with the General Cigar H.Upmann 2000 and the H. Upmann "Churchill"
which was a corona gorda, lol. I smoked them for years, and when they switched away from Cameroon wrappers, then I found Arturo
Fuente, smoked those for a few years, then found Padrons, smoked those for MANY years, and then got into ordering havanas WAY later
than most of my brothers, and after that I never looked back. You could therefore say that I have forgotten more about NCs than
some people know. I was a serious student of all things cigar, reading everything I could get my hands on. I act like a know-it-all
today because I feel like I DO know it all. Of course, I DON'T, far from it. But I FEEL like I do. Certainly enough to know what I like.
And of course, I abandoned the NC so long ago that I have NO IDEA of the things that are going on now, outside of the cursory
knowledge I get by loosely following the forum for those smokes here. So I now know what's hot, I just don't know why, lol.

And Bao, don't tell me what your opinion is, I KNOW, hahahaha.
You know nothing sir! Whatever people say about me is false...Don't listen to Pnoon or the Hog...they love to make up rumors about me.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #55
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
You know nothing sir! Whatever people say about me is false...Don't listen to Pnoon or the Hog...they love to make up rumors about me.
Who are you???

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #56
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Tom and Peter both told me that you were an above average looking heterosexual male.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #57
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Tom and Peter both told me that you were an above average looking heterosexual male.
see!!! they lied!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #58
ChicagoWhiteSox

Only the cool kids smoke cc's
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #59
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
Personally I smoke Cuban's almost exclusively, the only NC's I've found worth a second try are Padron's, Alec Bradley's and the Oliva V and O series. All the rest I've tried just don't appeal to my palate.
We can hang out anytime as I am almost 100% the same. Save the ABs though.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #60
kuzi16
the one and only

Trading: (1)
SCdlH
kuzi16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Funny how here at Cigar Asylum, the people who only (or mostly) smoke Cubans tell everyone to "smoke what you like" and don't judge, but this apparently NC only smoker comes in and insults the Cuban smokers for their tastes, basically calling them liars, stupid, and idiots.
i will forgive your hasty judgement of me if you let me explain mine.

i was speaking of random people i meet at work ( i work in a restaurant)that claim to know things about cigars. when i begin to ask them about what brands they like they say they "only smoke Cubans"
this phrase was in quotes because it seemed obvious to me that they are saying that because they are are lying to me because they are fore some reason looking to impress me. so when i press further and they cannot name a single line, source, brand, etc i know they are full of it.

of course i do not speak of people that tend to post in forums such as this because the people that post in forums like this tend to know more about cigars than the average guy that enjoys cigars and many of the forum member either know more than the guy that owns the local B&M or they ARE the guy that owns the local B&M.

i am sorry if i inadvertently insulted people that actually know what they are doing. i was not speaking of you. i should watch my wording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
If that's the way things are in the circles you run in, so be it. Here at CA, you're barking up the wrong tree. Without knowing you, I am willing to bet that many of my Cuban smoking friends here have forgotten more about cigars than you'll ever know. Sorry to be insulting, but you have insulted my friends.
you are not sorry to insult. if you were you would not do so. but i accept your apology none-the-less. you are just defending your community and i respect that. i would do the same if the rolls were reversed.

I do not feel the need to justify how much i do or do not know about cigars. you can feel free to investigate that yourself if you want. or not. whatever. i use the same handle on the cigar.com forum this forum and BOTL.org. if you want you can read my blog that is in my signature line. if not, fine. im not here to impress you. i am not here to insult you either.

Last edited by kuzi16; 03-29-2012 at 07:18 PM.
kuzi16 is offline   Reply With Quote