Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #21
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Rant: Cigar Bums

umm, I guess I don't agree with OP. Sorry
Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #22
swh127
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Scott
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
swh127 is on a distinguished road

I love giving out cigars to my friends to try. Now most of my friends have similar pallets to myself so what I smoke usually will fit them. However, when I go to paintball events or PSU tailgates, my ammo-box (lined with spanish cedar) always has some innexpensive (good smokes but less than $2 bucks) that I will hand out to the few guys I know will probably only ever smoke half to 1/4 of the cigar before throwing it away.

On the flip side, I have received alot of great cigars over the years from friends and random people I was smoking with. I see it as a sort of cigar karma.
swh127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #23
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

I only gift what I smoke. There is a group of friend I hangout with that always wants to smoke cigars. They know about my collection. So they kind of expect it. They will smoke whatever I am smoking. Finish or not, that is fine with me.

I've gifted cigars to total strangers I've met in cigar bars. Again, I give them what I am smoking. A few years ago, I met this guy at Casa Fuente in Vegas. he was talking about smoking a Monte #2 during his honeymoon. Proceeded to give him one. His quick one hour smoke turned into a few hours of conversation with me.

I can understand not wanting to waste good cigars though.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #24
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
I guess I am still confused

Is it that you have a disdain for cigarette chain smokers?

Or that the stick they laid down cost a certain amount?
I have a disdain for cigarette chain smokers who have no respect for the leaf, bum a cigar only to lay it down after lighting it. That is why I don't gift cigars except to those who I know will enjoy them.

Again, as one mentioned, there is no 'right' or 'wrong', just opinions. I just wanted those here to share their opinions about this and they have. Discussion is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swh127
I love giving out cigars to my friends to try. Now most of my friends have similar pallets to myself so what I smoke usually will fit them. However, when I go to paintball events or PSU tailgates, my ammo-box (lined with spanish cedar) always has some innexpensive (good smokes but less than $2 bucks) that I will hand out to the few guys I know will probably only ever smoke half to 1/4 of the cigar before throwing it away.

On the flip side, I have received alot of great cigars over the years from friends and random people I was smoking with. I see it as a sort of cigar karma.
I've have often bought boxes and taken them to parties. That's a totally different subject. I'm speaking of the guy who thinks he's just entitled to try a stick to see if he'll like it. They usually don't. These same guys would be taken aback if you asked them for a pack of cigarettes. I'm chalking it up as a lack of understanding of what cigars really are.

Your solution is a doable one. I will consider keeping a few 'cheapies' on hand for this purpose.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #25
cmitch
Heads up get down

Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonggoy View Post
I only gift what I smoke. There is a group of friend I hangout with that always wants to smoke cigars. They know about my collection. So they kind of expect it. They will smoke whatever I am smoking. Finish or not, that is fine with me.

I've gifted cigars to total strangers I've met in cigar bars. Again, I give them what I am smoking. A few years ago, I met this guy at Casa Fuente in Vegas. he was talking about smoking a Monte #2 during his honeymoon. Proceeded to give him one. His quick one hour smoke turned into a few hours of conversation with me.

I can understand not wanting to waste good cigars though.
That's perfectly understandable. But that guy wasn't a bum, either. I've given away quite a few to strangers. Just not to strangers who ask for them just to ask.

There's a huge difference to gifting sticks to someone, stranger or not, who you think will enjoy it and someone who thinks they're entitled to it because they ask. It's not like you're shaking a 30 cent cigarette out of a pack.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #26
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Where are you at when people are asking you to try a cigar? And are these friends, acquaintances, or total strangers.

I have no problem sharing with someone I know, but If I've never met you and you walk up and ask me for a free cigar the answer is "No" If they come up and ask me what I'm smoking and they are genuinely interested I'll ask if they want one, but I'm not going to hand them out to freeloaders.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #27
cmitch
Heads up get down

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
Where are you at when people are asking you to try a cigar? And are these friends, acquaintances, or total strangers.

I have no problem sharing with someone I know, but If I've never met you and you walk up and ask me for a free cigar the answer is "No" If they come up and ask me what I'm smoking and they are genuinely interested I'll ask if they want one, but I'm not going to hand them out to freeloaders.
My brother was sitting out by the pool at his apartment complex and I joined him for a smoke. An acquaintance of his, who I just met, wanted one of my 10th Anniversary Champagne Torpedos. I'm like, "WHAT?"

One example but has happened many times.

I broke down and gave a Romeo y Julieta Reserva real to one of his poolside buddies only to see him lay it down after 10 minutes and light a cigarette and leave.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #28
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

If someone asks me for a cigar they get the cheapest cigar I have with me. If I offer them one it's always quality. Just sayin'
Old 01-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #29
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
Forget that I paid $7 to $10 for the stick
Quote:
it kills me to see a good $8 to $10 stick get laid down.
Quote:
That is why I don't gift cigars except to those who I know will enjoy them.
Think Wayne nailed it on the head here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Or that the stick they laid down cost a certain amount?
I agree with the Major - I pass sticks out all the time - it isn't about the money - it's about the camaraderie and brotherhood.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #30
Whynot
Living the dream...

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (11)
Cohiba AirForce (Active)
Whynot is on a distinguished road

What about non chain smoking cigarette smokers that want to have a cigar? I can't tell if you hate moochers or cigarette smokers. If people are curious, I offer one up. I've never had anyone just ask me for a cigar.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #31
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
My brother was sitting out by the pool at his apartment complex and I joined him for a smoke. An acquaintance of his, who I just met, wanted one of my 10th Anniversary Champagne Torpedos. I'm like, "WHAT?"

One example but has happened many times.

I broke down and gave a Romeo y Julieta Reserva real to one of his poolside buddies only to see him lay it down after 10 minutes and light a cigarette and leave.
I think, in these situations , that a polite " I'm sorry, I didn't bring enough to share, but I will try to remember to bring extras next time" would suffice. Then, if you feel so inclined, bring some less expensive "newbie" cigars with you on your next outing. I think it's up to you how you want to respond to someone who asks for a cigar.
Me, I like to share, but I have never had someone I don't know just walk up to me and ask for a cigar, yet.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #32
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonggoy View Post
I only gift what I smoke. There is a group of friend I hangout with that always wants to smoke cigars. They know about my collection. So they kind of expect it. They will smoke whatever I am not smoking. Finish or not, that is fine with me.
So that's why you gave me that aged Nub at Shack!!! I see where I stand with you.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #33
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (2)
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road

Where are you meeting these chain-smoking mooches that are trying to bum cigars from you!? Haha my guess is that they assume that what you have couldn't cost much more than a swisher sweet. Or a Black and Mild! mmmmm
Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #34
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Trading: (17)
Bolivar
jitzy is on a distinguished road

If a cigarette smoker is asking for one to see if he likes it and lays it down after about 10 min's then maybe that just means he didn't like it. I always give someone one to try if they are willing.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #35
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
I think the problem is the RyJ Reserva Real. I'm surprised he made it 10 minutes.

j/k

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #36
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

I have considered buying a box of Berger & Argenti mooches. That way if someone asks for a cigar, if they ask what it is called, they get "a mooch". Maybe they get the message

Actually I give freely of what I have. I was in the cigar bar at the Brown Palace hotel in Denver, the waitress asked what I was smoking as she hadn't seen any illusione before. Asked if she smoked cigars, she said yes and I gave her a Tatuaje stick and an Illusione Epernay. She was very thankful, and the next night told me she enjoyed the Epernay. I was sitting next to some random person, he was smoking a cheap stick, talking cigars and sports. I enjoyed the conversation and gave him my last BOTL small batch I had with me. He was over the moon, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I like turning people onto good cigars. I guess when you ask me for something, it takes away my chance to offer and be the gracious host. I like to be the gracious host. I personally would never ask people for a cigar, or other thing, unless they offered first.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #37
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I only give out cigars to good friends who will finish them. After that I don't care if it costs me like $20 for 2 friends to smoke my cigars. If they finish them it's not a big deal. Any "strangers" pay, simple as that. I'll sell you one. I've had plenty of people offer to buy cigars from me, most won't even accept free ones. That's how you can easily differ the good people from the bad. Especially when no one can recognize the cigars I smoke (CCs/LE NC's). They know I pay a very decent price for my smokes.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #38
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Hey hey hey!!! Don't discourage us cigarette chain-smokers!! LOL
Anyone that's HERF'd with me knows that I usually chase a good cigar w/ a Cohiba cigarette or two between cigars.

In all seriousness though, there are so many differing fields of thought on gifting a cigar (be it a cheap or expensive stick) that my advice would be to do what feels right and natural to you. Feel free to say no, or try and educate the filthy cigarette smoking heathen LOL
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #39
dvickery
Team of 1

First Name: derrek
Trading: (0)
dvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
I love giving cigars away. Whenever I am at a party or one if the few bars in my area that still allow cigar smoking, I always bring plenty of extra. You meet some of the nicest people through the simple gift of a cigar. I don't care if they're mooching or genuinely curious, the world today can be so callous and cynical that a smile from a stranger and some casual conversation helps to remind me that what we need most is connection to our fellow human beings.

MCS
first...the above quote...in my opinion...this is someone who "gets it" .thank you mcs.

please dont misinterpret what i am saying...i am not trying to put anybody down.just telling a story related to this thread.

believe it or not most visitors to cuba dont smoke cigars (but many are curious enough and due to environment and location will try their first cigar)...i was in cuba recently with friends...one other was a cigar smoker and eight were not...the other guy bought a box of guantanamera crystals to give out to novice cigar smokers.myself...i handed out the best i had(at the moment)to anyone who wanted to try their first cigar(doesnt matter if they asked for a smoke or i offered first).

yes i watched someone put down one of my beloved santo coronas with but an inch smoked...maybe i should have given him a milder cigar.

who was right and who was wrong??? neither of us i suppose its just two different kinds of people(it appears(from this thread) i am in the minority tho)...still i shudder at the thought of giving a guantanamera to someone as their first cuban cigar.

didnt add much to this thread.

thanks again for your post mcs.
derrek
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #40
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Quote: