Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #301
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhmalone View Post
Thanks Rev. I'll experiment and see what works
You're welcome, dude.

Good piping.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #302
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fissure View Post
I've heard that meers don't ghost, so they've been catching my eye. Is this true? It'd be nice to have a pipe that I can just try all sorts of blends in and then when I find one I really like, dedicate a briar to it. Any special needs I need to know about smoking a meer?

Thanks
Meers will not ghost because they are non absorbing. Briar will, and so will cobs - much to the disbelief of many. However, if you smoke the same blend in a cob, give it a good 10-20 bowls, then you will notice it. If I smoke my cobs, a little of this, a little of that, it won't happen. Of couse, neither will a briar if you are smoking different blends every smoke. However, if you smoke all English blends, or all aromatics, go to a Virginia in it - either cob or briar - and you will tast the Latakia or flavorings.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #303
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Noob checking in! I've decided to start down a new slippery slope Actually just picked this guy up earlier today to see what the whole pipe thing is all about.

I've been looking at some of the Boswell pipes, but unfortunately they don't have some of the swirl/spiral pipes I was interested in at the moment (said to call back next week as they might have it then ) Though, something might catch my eye when they update their pipes for sale page this week.

So, what are some must have blends/tins that everyone should try?
WyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #304
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

ok, , I KNOW this question was answered somewhere in this thread already, but I didn't see it....

I picked up a two cobs in Albany last month and have been smoking just those two almost exclusively so that I can get a better feel for the tobacco and smoking techniques, without wondering if it was "the pipe" that didn't work that night.

Anyway, last night I had one that didn't work, but I'm not sure why.

SYMPTOMS: STEAMY tasting smoke, still had "most" of the flavor, but it seemed a little watery and very steamy. It was NOT blisteringly hot (maybe a tad warm), just steamy, which made the flavors go all to hell.

FACTS: strait cob pipe, aromatic tobacco blend, held in sample baggy and tupperware for 2 months. Tobacco left out on the desk for 15-20 minutes to dry out a little bit before loading the pipe (been doing that with most bowls lately). Pipe load was decent quality, I feel that i have at least gotten fairly consistent with my loads (they're not the best, but they are reproducible).

So basically I'm trying to figure out if that tobacco doesn't like that pipe, if that tobacco is just bad, if it was over/under humidified, etc.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:05 PM   #305
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

and one more question: how many times can you use a 9mm filter? once?
Old 02-17-2010, 07:15 AM   #306
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
ok, , I KNOW this question was answered somewhere in this thread already, but I didn't see it....

I picked up a two cobs in Albany last month and have been smoking just those two almost exclusively so that I can get a better feel for the tobacco and smoking techniques, without wondering if it was "the pipe" that didn't work that night.

SYMPTOMS: STEAMY tasting smoke, still had "most" of the flavor, but it seemed a little watery and very steamy. It was NOT blisteringly hot (maybe a tad warm), just steamy, which made the flavors go all to hell.

FACTS: strait cob pipe, aromatic tobacco blend, held in sample baggy and tupperware for 2 months. Tobacco left out on the desk for 15-20 minutes to dry out a little bit before loading the pipe (been doing that with most bowls lately). Pipe load was decent quality, I feel that i have at least gotten fairly consistent with my loads (they're not the best, but they are reproducible).

So basically I'm trying to figure out if that tobacco doesn't like that pipe, if that tobacco is just bad, if it was over/under humidified, etc.
Quote:
and one more question: how many times can you use a 9mm filter? once?
I think your second post answered your question.

Get rid of the filters - period. Don't use them. They produce steam because they get moist and simply do not dry out.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #307
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

Quote:

if it's one of those really gooey, "cherries jubilee" type aromatics you get from a large jar at the local shop, then you could leave it out to dry for 15-20 days and it'll still be too moist.
no lie, i had about 8oz of stuff called "peach cobbler" that i had bought my dad way back in '00 or '01. i had some as well, kept it in a very poor sealing ceramic jar that never kept anything moist before... 6 years later, that stuff was still too moist to smoke.

it's got a good amount of "PG" added to it, like the stuff they tell you to add to the foam humidfying things in a cigar humidor. the stuff never goes dry.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #308
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Cut View Post
if it's one of those really gooey, "cherries jubilee" type aromatics you get from a large jar at the local shop, then you could leave it out to dry for 15-20 days and it'll still be too moist.
no lie, i had about 8oz of stuff called "peach cobbler" that i had bought my dad way back in '00 or '01. i had some as well, kept it in a very poor sealing ceramic jar that never kept anything moist before... 6 years later, that stuff was still too moist to smoke.

it's got a good amount of "PG" added to it, like the stuff they tell you to add to the foam humidfying things in a cigar humidor. the stuff never goes dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I think your second post answered your question.

Get rid of the filters - period. Don't use them. They produce steam because they get moist and simply do not dry out.

I think you got it Rev.

I didn't even realize the things had a filter in em till I couldn't pass a cleaner through it and took apart the stem. Mind you this is after about 7 bowls (I was also beginning to taste filter gunk, which was getting nasty)

*waves goodbye to the filter*

Smoked another blend last night that I had smoked before and knew how it smoked, and it was a little steamy too, but not AS bad. So I'm thinking it was a two-part problem. Sounds like i might have been a crappy blend with too much humidant in it, I picked up those at the shop around the corner. No problems at all with the ones from Habana Premium, so I'll have to stick with them

I guess the real test will be to try smoking the same blend tonight, without the filter.......

Thanks guys!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #309
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

ok, next question:

Good and cheap soft flame lighter?
I've been using a couple cheapo refillable Ronson soft flames, but really they HATE being refilled and one is already broken.

I've also gotten quite accurate and adept with using a Ronson Torch... but they don't like being inverted and I have gas flow problems....

soooooo whats a good (but inexpensive) soft flame, or torch that doesn't mind being inverted?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #310
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Francis, I don't know of any torches that like to be inverted. They aren't made to do that, but my blazer doesn't seem to mind if I light it right side up first. I mostly use a torch as I think using a soft flame imparts some chemicals on the baccy.

When I did use a soft flame I went with a zippo with a pipe insert. Always worked and if you have an old zippo laying around it only costs about 3 bucks for the insert. You can also buy a soft flame that comes out laterally. Those can be had for around 20 bucks or so.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #311
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
ok, next question: ...soooooo whats a good (but inexpensive) soft flame, or torch that doesn't mind being inverted?
There about about 40-eleventeen-thousand posts on which is the RIGHT lighter, torch, match, converted hot air balloon- or kitchen stove burner to light a pipe with. It's like the eternal "Cello on or cello off?" thing with the cigar guys.

But! This thread* is a dedicated "Screw the search function" thread, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead kind of thread. No question to old, no question too hard, no question EVER foolish! So! Here is the soft flame answer:

1. Get a Zippo pipe lighter (with the Zippo black can fluid) if you want sub-$20, lifetime guarantee and very, very good performance.
2. Get a Bic lighter at the run-in store if you want cheap and butane.
3. Get a Corona Old Boy if you change your mind about cheap and want a fine pipe lighter.
4. Get a torch out of your head no matter how many times you watch the Frank Method How To Fill Your Pipe YouTube tutorial.
5. Consider any one of several Old Boy knock-offs for $20.

* top post refresher:

"Attention new pipe smokers! All pipe and tobacco questions answered. All pipe and tobacco problems solved.

Terms of Service: to ask you have to have a serious question; to reply you must have a minimum two years pipe smoking experience. (No snob zone.) There are no stupid questions. Nobody can beat someone with a "Use the search funtion" lead pipe. There will be no rude replies no matter how many times your question has been asked - nosir, not in THIS thread. Maybe a little tiny bit of sarcasm though, just to keep it interesting.

Bring it on."

Last edited by Mister Moo; 02-18-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #312
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

con't...

6. I can't say enough good things about the flame from paper and wooden matches. The match/pipe combo gives you rock-solid performance, time-honored charm, the grandfatherly "puffFLARE puffFLARE puffFLARE" effect and a soft light for, pretty much, free. Beware stout wooden matches - like those pictured below - that can sustain a flame which is long enough to scorch a rim on both sides of the bowl while lighting the tobacco. A wooden match is not a no-brainer - gotta watch your flame, tobacco and rim* all at the same once.

* and, if you're driving, you gotta watch the road at the same time. That's almost as important as preventing accidental pipe rim charring while driving and lighting. And sometimes you gotta watch that REALLY hot, charcoal-ie black match tip fall in your lap (or down your shirt or sleeve) while you're puffing and lighting and steering and driving and talking on the phone.

Hope this was helpful.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 02-18-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #313
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

I have a lighter like this one...Paid twice the price listed here. Works good and is butane refillable.
http://www.lilbrown.com/product/tabi...1/default.aspx
Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #314
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
1. Get a Zippo pipe lighter (with the Zippo black can fluid) if you want sub-$20, lifetime guarantee and very, very good performance.
2. Get a Bic lighter at the run-in store if you want cheap and butane.
3. Get a Corona Old Boy if you change your mind about cheap and want a fine pipe lighter.
4. Get a torch out of your head no matter how many times you watch the Frank Method How To Fill Your Pipe YouTube tutorial.
5. Consider any one of several Old Boy knock-offs for $20.

Top post refresher:

"Attention new pipe smokers! All pipe and tobacco questions answered. All pipe and tobacco problems solved.

Terms of Service: to ask you have to have a serious question; to reply you must have a minimum two years pipe smoking experience. (No snob zone.) There are no stupid questions. Nobody can beat someone with a "Use the search funtion" lead pipe. There will be no rude replies no matter how many times your question has been asked - nosir, not in THIS thread. Maybe a little tiny bit of sarcasm though, just to keep it interesting.

Bring it on."
The best advice you’re going to get, period!

FYI… Bought an Ol’ Boy knockoff in 2003 (did work for ©rap), put up with that POS lighter until last year when I finally broke down and got an IM Corona Old Boy, with nearly a year of trouble free use and free repairs for the life of the lighter from the shop it came from, I can’t imagine buying any other brand of butane pipe lighter.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #315
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
...I finally broke down and got an IM Corona Old Boy...
Me too; it has value for the price.

Reports on Old Boy knock-offs seem cover the range of crap to quality. No idea what to add to that. I got a sweet little Bentley refillable with side-flame and built in tamper last year - it cost $2.00 and worked for, uh, two weeks. I am a long-time Zippo booster but since I got the Old Boy I admit I like the more precise flame, the adjustability, longer period between refills and feel in the hand. I haven't seen the Zippo since the Old Boy showed up but I'll forever have a soft spot in my heart for Zippo products.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #316
Demented

I can't think of the brand of that knockoff for the life of me, CRS don't you know. The head broke off the built-in tamper within three days, needed refilling every third or fourth day of use, the striker wheel didn’t work well and it never wanted to light. I bought an eighteen dollar lighter and got what I paid for.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #317
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

* top post refresher:

Bring it on."
I don't know if this was directed at me or just a general refresh but I didn't see anything wrong with giving spectrr a recommendation. I've only smoked pipes for a little over a year but I just recently went through this same dilemma myself. Thought I'd give my never tried posing as a "pipe old fart".
Old 02-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #318
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Thanks guys! lots of GREAT info there, much appreciated.

Aww Dan, how did you know I got the idea from that Frank method youtube video

Although I do have to say I've gotten great consistency from loading the pipe that way. It may not be the "best" way to load it, but it does get me something consistent and smoke-able.

But I will officially banish the idea of a torch

I'm sure that Old Boy works quite nice, somewhat akin to the soft flame equivalent of my dupont torch. I'll make that a "one day" goal to work too
Old 02-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #319
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
I don't know if this was directed at me...
Nope. Just a refresher - we don't ask for resumes or personal references in this thread.

Made you feel guilty though, didn't it?

Last edited by Mister Moo; 02-18-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:34 AM   #320
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo

Quote:
Nope. Just a refresher - we don't ask for resumes or personal references in this thread.

Made you feel guilty though, didn't it?
Yes it did Just trying to help out where I can, even if I'm not the most experienced.