Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 02-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #121
kayaker

Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Ardbeg 10
Talisker 10
Highland Park 12
These are great. How is the Bruichladdich? I like a lot of what they do, but have not had that one.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #122
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
These are great. How is the Bruichladdich? I like a lot of what they do, but have not had that one.
Out of the five I have, it is probably my least favorite. Kind of salty sweet in a strange way.

The aforementioned "Scotch guy" where I shop recommended it. I told him I was looking for something good for someone who was starting out that wouldn't break the bank. He recommended Bunnahabhain 12 yr to me before (which I enjoyed) so I had hoped he had another winner for me, but not so much. For the most part, his recommendations have been more off than on so I stopped asking him. You guys seem much better at it!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #123
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

I have decided to clean out some of my Scotch stash, as I will never be able to dink them all in my life time, and I am always looking to try new to me Scotches as well!

I have the following for sale. PM me if you have any interest.

I’ll be happy to post additional pictures if requested.

Springbank CV – 750ml Campletown Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 46% alc/vol

This is a limited bottling, and is referred to as the Gold Cap Bottling. There was a previous bottling, known as the White Cap Bottling. I purchased a six bottle case of this in 1999. The following is the only review I could find.
When you can find it (very hard to find), it sells for $65 retail.

My price is also $65. However, my price includes insured S&H via USPS, within the Con. USA. I prefer payment via Money Order. I can also accept an online payment. Please add 3.5%, if paying online.

Springbank C.V. (46%, OB, golden cap, CV on the sides, circa 2000) Color: white wine (much paler than the ‘white cap’). Nose: this one starts a little more spirit and less mature than the white cap, with much more grainy and fruity notes (apples, pears) and much less minerals or smoke. There are also notes of wet cardboard, soaked grains, very light coffee, apple juice... But the notes of raw wool are here again. Not exactly the same class as the older version I think, even if both start to converge after a good fifteen minutes. Mouth: this is very different again. Big notes of pear spirit, figs, crystallized lemon zests, smoked fish... And then more and more pear spirit. Pears and kippers? Yes, it’s very unusual whisky I think, I can’t think of any other whisky that tasted like this CV. Finish: longer than the white cap’s, very bold in fact, with these interesting notes of ‘apple juice-soaked kippers’ (sorry about this weird mental image) and a slight dustiness, plus something oddly metallic.

Bowmore Claret Bordeaux Wine Casked – 750ml Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 56% alc/vol

This is a very Limited Edition. This bottle is numbered No. 2706. I purchased several bottles of this in 1998. I was able to locate two online reviews, shown below:

This is extremely rare and very, very hard to find. It is basically impossible to find in the USA, however, some vendors in Europe advertise it at 150uro to 180uro. However, if you check it out, it is almost always out of stock. Today 150uro was equal to $194 US and 180uro was equal to $240 US.

My price is $180. My price includes insured S&H via USPS within the Con USA.I prefer payment via Money Order. I can also accept an online payment. Please add 3.5%, if paying online.

Tasting Notes:
Michael Jackson - Rated it a 9 out of a possible 10

Nose
Very big in both departments. Lots of recognizably claret-like fruit-and-cedar notes-and a powerful response from Bowmore smokiness.

Palate
Bowmore beats Bordeaux.

Finish
Toffeeish (more port-like) fruit fights back convincingly. Oak keeps the contestants apart. Finally a salty battle is won by the distillery character. Comment: The fighter beat the boxer, but it was a wonderfully enjoyable contest.

Doug McIvor - Rated it a 9 out of a possible 10

Nose
Intensely perfumed, ripe summer fruits, bubble gum and honey melon? Evolving to show base notes of peat and more concentrated fruits.

Palate
Delicate to medium bodied. A gentle oiliness carries initial bursts of fruit to drier complexities.

Finish
Teasing, lingering, quite feminine until that Islay smoke kicks in. Comment: A very elaborate malt which enhances Bowmore's association with perfume. Good enough to wear!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-036S.JPG (31.5 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-044S.JPG (27.9 KB, 285 views)
Old 02-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #124
kayaker

Those look great. A couple of nice picks for someone.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #125
kayaker

Not really a question, but what a tasting I just had.

First was a special (at least different) bottling of Glen Ord, that was given to Andrew (the host) by his mother, for his 30th B-Day. She used to work at the distillery and he pretty much grew up there.

Then we had some Glenturret from an independent bottler. 13 yo I belive.

Then came the Glenfiddich 18 and 21, and the Glen Garioch 15 and 21.

Next we had Bruichladdich 14 (regular) and Bruichy 14 (aged in French Oak that contained Italian wine).

Finally we finished up with two IBs of Bunnahabain, 15 yrs and 31 yrs.

The store had to close before we got to the 2 Highland Parks (15 yr and an 16 yr IB).

In any case, a good time was had by all and it's taken me an hour to write this post because I am a little drunk.

Did I mention the Innis & Gunn and the pint I chugged after the tasting?

Glad I don't have to work in the AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #126
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Not really a question, but what a tasting I just had.

First was a special (at least different) bottling of Glen Ord, that was given to Andrew (the host) by his mother, for his 30th B-Day. She used to work at the distillery and he pretty much grew up there.

Then we had some Glenturret from an independent bottler. 13 yo I belive.

Then came the Glenfiddich 18 and 21, and the Glen Garioch 15 and 21.

Next we had Bruichladdich 14 (regular) and Bruichy 14 (aged in French Oak that contained Italian wine).

Finally we finished up with two IBs of Bunnahabain, 15 yrs and 31 yrs.

The store had to close before we got to the 2 Highland Parks (15 yr and an 16 yr IB).

In any case, a good time was had by all and it's taken me an hour to write this post because I am a little drunk.

Did I mention the Innis & Gunn and the pint I chugged after the tasting?

Glad I don't have to work in the AM.
Wow that is quite the line up! How ya feeling today?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #127
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning9191 View Post
Wow that is quite the line up! How ya feeling today?
A little slow today, but not bad considering.

Breakfast and a good cuppa joe will help.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #128
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan View Post
Okay, just recently got into dark liquor (had a bad experience with bourbon early on). I have been trying and enjoying a few of the irish whiskey offerings because of their slight sweetness. I have been reading a bunch and was told by a good friend a few to try but I want to keep it on the sweeter side. I have heard that Aberlous Abunadh and Glenkinchie were good sweeter scotches to try but would like some more advice. Still do not like harsh dark liquor so smooth and sweet are my main goals. Only drink my Irish with a few rocks and let it melt a bit. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Irish Whiskey I have liked so far: Bushmills, BlackBush, Jamey's and Jamey's 12yo. Irish Whiskey I have not liked so far: Tullamore's dew.

I will also drink the occasional Crown with coke
Here are a few to consider:

Aberlour 12yo Sherry Cask Matured
The Balvenie 10yo Founders Reserve
The Balvenie 12yo Double Wood
Teachers Highland Cream
Cragganmore 12yo
Highland Park 12yo
Highland Park 18yo
Old 03-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #129
Lensjockie

The Balvenie 12yo Double Wood
Cragganmore 12yo

I can speak to these and I think both are a solid bodied, full flavor drink the
Double wood is the mellower. I'm all about the mellow.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #130
kayaker

My dad likes scotch, but sticks to what he calls the smoother stuff.

Dalwhinnie, Glenchinkie and Scapa are what he favours. You might also want to try Glen Ord.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #131
Darrell

I picked this up today after some recommendations.

Any input, Ian?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 AM   #132
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Any input, Ian?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #133
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post

Any input, Ian?
Yummy, Yummy, Lot's of Fruity nuances and hints of Honey!
Old 04-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #134
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Bringing this thread back to the forefront...

After my initial head first dive into the Scotch realm, I leveled off and figured I'd buy a bottle to replace an empty. Having finished off the highly recommended Ardbeg 10yo (thank you for the recommendation gents!), I decided to replace an Islay with an Islay and went with the Laphroaig 10yo. I'm anxious to see what I think of it.

Current Single Malt Inventory (hasn't changed much):
Glenfiddich 12
Laphroaig 10
Talisker 10
Highland Park 12
Bruichladdich "The Rocks"

And kayaker, if you see this, I was pleasantly surprised with the Bruichladdich the last time I had it. Previously I said it was the least favorite of my stock, but after having it again I want to rescind that statement. It may have just been the evening I had it, but I found it almost refreshing, surprisingly so!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #135
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I decided to replace an Islay with an Islay and went with the Laphroaig 10yo. I'm anxious to see what I think of it.
I like the Laphroaig 10yo....but I found that I definitely need to add some water to it. Bowmore is another good one to try. I prefer it over Laphroaig 10yo. Any try the more aged Laphroaig? Liked them?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #136
kayaker

Quote:
And kayaker, if you see this, I was pleasantly surprised with the Bruichladdich the last time I had it. Previously I said it was the least favorite of my stock, but after having it again I want to rescind that statement. It may have just been the evening I had it, but I found it almost refreshing, surprisingly so!
Glad you enjoyed it. I find it's always a good idea to give a whisky more than one chance. Our palates can easily change so what tastes good now, may not taste so great later. Or vice-versa.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #137
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Was at a cigar event last night and they were also providing samples of Glenmorangie scotch. I enjoyed the Lasanta, Quinta Ruban, and all Nector d'Or. These were aged for 10 years in bourbon barrels and then finished for two years in different barrels. The Quinta Ruban has a port finish, the Lasanta has a sherry finish and the Nector d'Or has a sauterne finish.

I also sampled two new scotches from Glenmorangie. The newest is the Astar which is an 18 year old, 100 proof, which is just being introduced in the U.S. (at least that's what we were told) and Glenmorangie Signet. I think he said the Signet was 25 years old but I sort of tuned out when he said, "$179 a bottle." I did find both of these to be exceptional.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #138
wrench turner 85
I'm the Ocho Cinco!

Trading: (0)
Partagas
wrench turner 85 is on a distinguished road

grate idea for a thread. I love scotch.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #139
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

I picked up a bottle of Auchentoshan Single Malt Select last week.

I've had a couple drams so far, some rocks and some neat. It has a sweetness that I really enjoy, more fruity than syrupy with a little honey thrown in. Very little saltiness or medicinal taste.

I am really enjoying it and at around $30 a bottle the price is right. This is a great counter balance to my other go-to cheapie, Bowmore Islay Legend.
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:14 AM   #140
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

So I finally went out and picked up some Old Pulteney.

For a $45 bottle of scotch, I was throughly impressed. I got it after the recommendation for a more salty scotch. It has a saltyness to it, but not as much as I would like to see. It had more of a fruit taste. The mouth feel and aftertaste were spot on. If it had a tad more salty or smokey taste, this one could easily beat out Lagavulin or another higher end Scotch. As it is, for $45 you really can't beat it imo.
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote