Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #101
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Try the Bowmore 12 or 15. It has some of the characteristics of both the HP and Ardbeg, nicely balanced.

Glad you are enjoying.

The Bowmore 12 year is excellent.

I also really, really enjoy the Bowmore Legend, best under $30 a bottle single malt I've had so for.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #102
Biglizard1
LLG turned CAI

First Name: David
Trading: (8)
Montecristo
Biglizard1 is on a distinguished road

The other day I randomly mentioned to my wife that I needed to buy some Scotch, the wonderful bride that she is went to the store the next day and found a bottle of McClellands Highland. My first bottle of Scotch. I think that she did a good job! I am resisting the urge to place anything in the glass with the Scotch. so far so good.
Biglizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #103
kayaker

I was at a Robbie Burn's day celebration this evening. After a sample of Scottish beer (McEwan's and Innis & Gunn), we had haggis supper and several drams.

Here's what I remember of the list:
Dalmore 12 (sprinkled over the haggis)
Glen Ord 12
Old Pultney 12
Bruichladdich XVII
Laphroaig 10
Aberlour A'bunadh
Bunnahabhain (1991, MacPhail's Collection)
Dailuaine 16

A good time was had by all.

Too bad it was too cold for a stogie...
Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #104
RBOrrell
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (6)
Montecristo
RBOrrell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was at a Robbie Burn's day celebration this evening. After a sample of Scottish beer (McEwan's and Innis & Gunn), we had haggis supper and several drams.

Here's what I remember of the list:
Dalmore 12 (sprinkled over the haggis)
Glen Ord 12
Old Pultney 12
Bruichladdich XVII
Laphroaig 10
Aberlour A'bunadh
Bunnahabhain (1991, MacPhail's Collection)
Dailuaine 16

A good time was had by all.

Too bad it was too cold for a stogie...
Great selection. I know this is a Scotch thread but what did you think of Innis and Gunn? I just love this stuff.

I did not get to a Robbie Burns supper because I had to curl last night. Had a McClellan (the only single malt the club has) afterwards in honour of the poet.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #105
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBOrrell View Post
Great selection. I know this is a Scotch thread but what did you think of Innis and Gunn? I just love this stuff.
I&G is great. A friend introduced it to me last year. Have you had their limited releases of IPA or the one aged in rum barrels? The IPA was great and the rum aged was very different but also good.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #106
RBOrrell
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (6)
Montecristo
RBOrrell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I&G is great. A friend introduced it to me last year. Have you had their limited releases of IPA or the one aged in rum barrels? The IPA was great and the rum aged was very different but also good.
I have only had the original oak aged. The rum aged has just been released by the LCBO - I have to get out to buy some. The IPA is not listed by the LCBO so I have not had it.

I have a neighbour who introduced me to I&G a couple of years ago. He won't drink any old beer and I&G is near the top of his list.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #107
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Anyone here tried Edradour? Apparently it is available here in the states but who knows where?

Buddy of mine loves the stuff, but I forgot what the name was when I was in the UK. It is apparently the UK's smallest distillery.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:58 AM   #108
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Recently I had the hankering for whisky....don't know why, I just did.

I bought my first ever bottle and it was Makers Mark. I was impressed. Started with the famous "oh this is gonna burn going down" and then it turned sweet and creamy. Had it with 3 cubes of ice.

I'll be back for another later this week.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #109
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Is Anyone familiar Grand Old Parr Deluxe Scotch?

I have heard of it many times, and always good things, from what I recall. I know that it's not normally available in the USA. So, I was never able to try it. Anyway, I just won a Sealed Collectible Bottle on eBay, and I should have it within a week or so. Any information about it will be appreciated.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:08 PM   #110
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Cohiba
Default Re: Is Anyone familiar Grand Old Parr Deluxe Scotc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
I have heard of it many times, and always good things, from what I recall. I know that it's not normally available in the USA. So, I was never able to try it. Anyway, I just won a Sealed Collectible Bottle on eBay, and I should have it within a week or so. Any information about it will be appreciated.
Are you talking about Edradour? I know it's from Scotland's smallest distillery, supposedly VERY good.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #111
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
Are you talking about Edradour? I know it's from Scotland's smallest distillery, supposedly VERY good.
I don't thing so! Here is a link to a picture of a bottle:

http://www.picable.com/Objects/Bottl...-Whisky.305621
Old 01-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #112
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Cohiba

Oh, I see the title on your post now. I'm a numbnuts.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #113
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

So I swung by the wine and spirits store after work to grab a bottle. I've been blowing through my bottle of Bowmore Islay Reserve and ended up drinking mostly Chivas for the last week. I was all ready to grab another bottle of of the Reserve or splurge on a bottle of Glenfiddich and I saw some McCelland's. I know it is cheap-o but for $20 a bottle I figured it's gotta be better than Cutty Shark or Dewars. The only delemma was which one - Highland, Lowland or Islay.

Tough decision...

...so I got them all. For $20 a bottle I am not expecting the world. Hopefully at the least I will get a better idea of the difference between each style. So far the Highland is pretty good. Anyone have experence with this distellery?

Old 01-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #114
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
I don't thing so! Here is a link to a picture of a bottle:

http://www.picable.com/Objects/Bottl...-Whisky.305621
I did a number of searches on the Grand Old Parr 12yo I mentioned above. I found two reviews by Michael Jackson, one on the 12yo and one on an 18yo. It is a blended scotch from Scotland. This is what he said about it:

Nose: Malty, Very scented, Cake-Like, Linseed.

Palate: Big, Notably firm-bodied. Malty, Cereal grains, Toasted sesame seeds, Demerara sugar and raisins, Honey, There even seems to be a hint of chili in there somewhere.

Finish: Soothing, Long, Developing slight lemon grass and a peatiness.

He scored it an 8.5 out of 10.0 and likes it better than the 18yo. BTW, this comes in one liter bottles!

I am very anxious about winning this. I hope all goes smoothly!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #115
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Well I finished a dram of the McCelland's Highland earlier. (I like mine on the rocks).

Overall it was OK. It was a little sweet and almost syrupy for me. There was some interesting almost cirtusy sweetness to it that was pleasing but I think it was a little too sweet overall. I don't know if that is something that is indicative of Highland scotches. (Kayaker, maybe you can chime in there)

I just got home from dinner and now I am having a bit of the Islay (same way, rocks). I am enjoying this one a little bit more. It opens up with a big mouthful of salt and finishes very smooth with the medical taste on the finish. It is not as complex as the Bowmore Islay though.

I'll try a bit of the Lowland tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #116
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Overall it was OK. It was a little sweet and almost syrupy for me. There was some interesting almost cirtusy sweetness to it that was pleasing but I think it was a little too sweet overall. I don't know if that is something that is indicative of Highland scotches. (Kayaker, maybe you can chime in there)
I was trying to find out more about the McClelland's line, but my source is out of the country right now. Basically each of these regional malts is a young version from a more popular distillery. For example, I do remember being told that the Islay one is a young Bowmore. The actual age I don't know, but it has to be at least 3 years and is likely younger than 10. But I can't remember what distilleries are used for the other regions.

With regards to highland malts, they tend to be rich and robust. I think about Highland Park and Glenfarclas. I guess they can be considered a little sweet too. However, each region has scotch that may not show itself as a typical example.

One thing I wonder about is whether or not spirit caramel was used in the one you are talking about. It's the only ingredient that is allowed to be added to scotch that is not a necessary part of the process. The caramel adds colour making whisky look richer, but it may also make it sweeter. All the natural colour in Scotch comes from the barrel during the aging process. Therefore a younger whisky would have even less colour naturally and might require more caramel to make it look richer.

I don't know if this is the case here. I will drop by a liquor store to take a look at the bottles myself, and I will see if I can track down my source for more info.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:21 PM   #117
Jerry
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Jerry is on a distinguished road

I been reading this a bit an decided to give it a try.. NOt much of a drinker.. anymore.. Went out an got a bottle of Glenlivet 18.. not bad at all.. 75 bucks wasnt all that bad.. But where the hell do I go from here... Is there one with alittle more sweetness to it..
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:40 PM   #118
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I been reading this a bit an decided to give it a try.. NOt much of a drinker.. anymore.. Went out an got a bottle of Glenlivet 18.. not bad at all.. 75 bucks wasnt all that bad.. But where the hell do I go from here... Is there one with a little more sweetness to it..
For something with a very nicely balanced sweetness, on the palate and an intense long finish, try a bottle of Glenfarclas 15yo. It's a Speyside Single Malt, and it will cost you about $45. A wonderful scotch!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #119
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
I was trying to find out more about the McClelland's line, but my source is out of the country right now. Basically each of these regional malts is a young version from a more popular distillery. For example, I do remember being told that the Islay one is a young Bowmore. The actual age I don't know, but it has to be at least 3 years and is likely younger than 10. But I can't remember what distilleries are used for the other regions.
That is interesting. Like I said I found the McClelland's Islay very similar to the Bowmore Islay, but without as much complexity so it being from the distellery but with less age that definitly adds up.

Quote:
With regards to highland malts, they tend to be rich and robust. I think about Highland Park and Glenfarclas. I guess they can be considered a little sweet too. However, each region has scotch that may not show itself as a typical example.

One thing I wonder about is whether or not spirit caramel was used in the one you are talking about. It's the only ingredient that is allowed to be added to scotch that is not a necessary part of the process. The caramel adds colour making whisky look richer, but it may also make it sweeter. All the natural colour in Scotch comes from the barrel during the aging process. Therefore a younger whisky would have even less colour naturally and might require more caramel to make it look richer.

I don't know if this is the case here. I will drop by a liquor store to take a look at the bottles myself, and I will see if I can track down my source for more info.

Hope this helps.
I guess the addition of caramel is not something that is easy to find out about. For what it's worth I just looked at all three bottles under a light and there are no difference of color that I can see with my eyes. So if they used that caramel to darken the Highland it didn't make a difference that I can see.

I am trying a dram of the Lowland now. Right off the bat there more of a discernable whiskey smell than the Highland or the Islay. There is almost no saltyness and the finish is sweet in the cirtrisy way that I enjoyed with the Highland and much less of the syrpy sweetness that I didn't like. This one is the spiciest of the three as well. I will reserve my final impression until I finish the glass but I would put this one 2nd behind the Islay with the Highland in thrid.

Big help as always thanks Kayaker.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #120
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

I am rapidly continuing my decent down the Scotch slope. Yesterday, while buying beer for the Super Bowl party (small gathering really) I hosted, I couldn't help myself and perused the Scotch isle. Walking down that isle without buying something would be akin to going to a B&M and not buying a cigar. So, of course another bottle was added to my collection. I went with a bottle of Talisker. I haven't broken the seal yet, but its day is coming!

That brings my rapidly increasing Scotch collection to:

Glenfiddich 12
Ardbeg 10
Talisker 10
Highland Park 12
Bruichladdich "The Rocks"

Fun....except for my wallet!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote