Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #41
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Yes, that is serious.

But that's how they do it. A person could make the case for a wide varieties of factors that might influence a review (what they had to drink, what they had to eat, what they pair it with, etc, etc) so I don't say what's proper and what's not. Just pointing out that this is the method they use.
Seems like reviewing a movie based on the first half hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Same way they evaluate wines and alcohol, they simply hold a tiny sip in their mouth, swish it around and spit it out. Now tell me they can actually evaluate a finish on wine/alc, proper astringency, etc. Better yet, or is it worse yet?, they spend a few minutes with the product instead of seeing how it evolves over some time.

Main reason lists are nothing more than lists.
True, but as you pointed out in an earlier post, wines are much more homogenous (sp?). I agree, either these lists are based on stats (ie. #1 in sales for handmade cigars) or they're wholly subjective. Either way, not worth much more than a list of smokes to try. Personally, I put more stock in recommendations from the BoTLs here who share my tastes in types of cigars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #42
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cigar Aficionado..top 10 of 2010...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisP View Post
I've heard this a few times, but have they published this anywhere?
It was "published" by Gordon Mott (one of the reviewers) on cigarfamily. Here is the link:

http://lounge.cigarfamily.com/showth...14#post3000538

I can't say for certain that someone didn't make up an account and post that info, but suffice to say it would be a pretty big scam if they did.

Here is the quote from Mott:

Quote:
1) I have said openly that we smoke between half an inch to an inch of each cigar. I've had manufacturers rake me over the coals for that fact, and for the fact that we don't "smoke a whole box" to get the true nature of their product. I remind them that they are a consumer product manufacturer. If you say to me that you have to smoke half of a cigar to "get to the good part," I have a problem with that. If you light up a cigar, and it tastes like ****, not only for the first five minutes but for a good 30 minutes before you get half way down, the majority of people will simply put it out, and never come back. And if they smoke a whole box, and don't like half of the cigars in it, they won't be buying that brand again. We didn't just arbitrarily chose the half-inch to an inch limit, although Andy is right; there is a simple logistical imperative that comes into play. But after many hours of talking with cigar people, and I hope mastering some of the intricacies of what makes a handrolled cigar function, nearly everyone talks about a point where a cigar gets "running." It's usually after that first-half inch. By then, you will in 99 percent of the cases, know the true nature of the cigar; you certainly will a perfect idea of draw and burn, most flavor components, and whether or not you like it.

So I was being liberal in saying that they smoke the first 1/3. The first half or inch of a cigar is not much imo.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #43
staminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'm not a fan of Air Benders either, I like the regular LFD line much better.
I like the Air Bender more than the rest of the LFD line. To each his own!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #44
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorcalMark View Post
Camacho Corojo at #5 is a joke.
gotta agree with you there. I mean, you may not like every cigar on the list, but that one sticks out like a sore thumb among the other 3 cigars listed.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #45
DennisP
Come Get It

Trading: (17)
HUpmann
DennisP will become famous soon enoughDennisP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
It was "published" by Gordon Mott (one of the reviewers) on cigarfamily. Here is the link:

http://lounge.cigarfamily.com/showth...14#post3000538

I can't say for certain that someone didn't make up an account and post that info, but suffice to say it would be a pretty big scam if they did.

Here is the quote from Mott:

So I was being liberal in saying that they smoke the first 1/3. The first half or inch of a cigar is not much imo.
Thanks for the link. Some interesting reading there.
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #46
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Seems like reviewing a movie based on the first half hour.

True, but as you pointed out in an earlier post, wines are much more homogenous (sp?). I agree, either these lists are based on stats (ie. #1 in sales for handmade cigars) or they're wholly subjective. Either way, not worth much more than a list of smokes to try. Personally, I put more stock in recommendations from the BoTLs here who share my tastes in types of cigars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well, all I can tell you is that they do play "favorites", as all of us do in real life. Some people make plonk, expensive plonk at that, and still get great reviews only because they are "media darlings" and it is considered uncouth to give them low scores. If you are a relative unknown there is absolutely no way in hell you will get a high score unless a reviewer decides to make you his "darling", as in "I discovered this winery FIRST!!!", this crazy "competition" has been going on between Spectator and Advocate for some years now and is both stupid and hilrious at the same time (one goves high 90s scores and the other comes out and scores same wine in high 80s)...

And in case of cigars, a number of them cannot be tasted "blind" since their shape and distinct wrapper color give them away, so "favorites" does come into play (and visa versa).

I am also aware of some wineries submitting "special" bottles for reviews, in other words not the regular release bottles, but specifically filled from the barrel by hand, a CHOSEN barrel (read best in the bunch). Given that, I would not put it past cigar manufacturers to do the same, "special" blend to be submitted to reviewers. After all, how can one tell if size and band are the same as what's sitting on the shelf? So, don't blame the messenger...

I read plenty of wine reviews, for sure, to see what the competition is up to, but also taste a good number of wines (barrels and bottles to see how a barrel eventually evolves into final product) to know that scores I see in magazines do not reflect my own take on same wines. At one of my tastings one of the better known names in wine reviews and wine blogs could not keep track of the 4 glasses in front of him, he made quiet an impression on the rest of us (~50 serious wine geeks and wine makers), that day pretty much "sealed" my faith in reviews... So, "professional" means he or she is only human, as rest of us are...
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #47
DennisP
Come Get It

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
I am also aware of some wineries submitting "special" bottles for reviews, in other words not the regular release bottles, but specifically filled from the barrel by hand, a CHOSEN barrel (read best in the bunch). Given that, I would not put it past cigar manufacturers to do the same, "special" blend to be submitted to reviewers. After all, how can one tell if size and band are the same as what's sitting on the shelf? So, don't blame the messenger...
I don't disagree with most of what you said, but if you read the link wayner provided about how CA does their tastings they buy the cigars from local B&Ms, not from the manufacturer.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #48
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

#1 is going to be the Cohiba Behike 52!
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #49
DennisP
Come Get It

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE View Post
#1 is going to be the Cohiba Behike 52!
Agreed.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #50
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

i always find it interesting to see a cheap cigar in the top 25. every year they have 1 or 2 sub-$7 sticks.
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #51
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisP View Post
I don't disagree with most of what you said, but if you read the link wayner provided about how CA does their tastings they buy the cigars from local B&Ms, not from the manufacturer.
Sure, same thing Spectator claims

Yet, I am not aware of ANY wine they actually buy save in some extreme cases (and to be honest can't think of one right now). I am also not aware of ANY wine not submitted and getting a review, basically if someone doesn't want to be reviewed they simply don't provide wine, Spectator does not go out and buy that wine (same for Advocate, BTW, no matter what Parker claims, personal experience as well). Spectator sends their tasting schedule out at the end of the year for next year's dates, to ensure wineries send the wines in on time.

I am 99.9% sure this is how Aficionado operates as well, the model has been established by Spectator for them.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #52
newlifetaxidermy

I have smoked a majority of the top 10 (except HU#2, & Camacho) and from my perspective, they have some great sticks on the list. Personally, I would rather see a TOP 25 list with no rankings...just a list of the 25 best of the year. If I had to pick a cigar of the year, I'd go with the Tatuaje 7th Reserva.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #53
Perfecto Lounge

La Aroma de Cuba...bringing back a legendary cigar that was one of the favorites of non other than Winston Churchill. NICE!

I've smoked the Mi Amor as well as the Robusto and personally prefer the Robusto. Very nice medium bodied smoke with flavors of nutmeg and drawn butter...great smoke.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #54
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

I actually enjoy many of the cigars on the list, including the Camacho Corojo which is kinda funny because I'm not really into full bodied smokes.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #55
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Never had many on that list, I had an Air bender not sure which one but it sucked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swh127 View Post
I personally enjoy the Air Benders, very complex smoke. Have not tried the rest though so can't comment on them. Also, I smoke mostly full bodied smokes so my list will be very different than the average cigar smoker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'm not a fan of Air Benders either, I like the regular LFD line much better.
Funny how palates and therefore opinions, differ. I like the Air Benders and think their regular line is sub-standard. I don't know if it is the 10th best of the year, but it is one of those I'd choose near the top

Peace of the Lrod be with you.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #56
jsd

The Padron 45th is fantastic. Upmann's are great. The Le Matin is very good but not sure it makes my top 10. Same with the Opus.

Are they saying that the 45th got worse or others got better? They should have just left the 45th out of the running.

I actually heard #1 was a toss up between Hammer & Sickle and Warlock.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:13 AM   #57
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

If the number #1 cigar is Hammer and Sickle... I don't know, but that might be the worst cigar I've had, no joke.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:16 AM   #58
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd View Post
I actually heard #1 was a toss up between Hammer & Sickle and Warlock.
While I have not had a Hammer & Sickle, I have had a Warlock. It was decent but not worthy of a top 25 even. Surely you jest.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:45 AM   #59
Shemp Howard
Who's Your Baghdadi?

First Name: Rick
Trading: (0)
Cohiba MarineCorps
Shemp Howard is on a distinguished road

Swisher Sweets and Backwoods might make it.
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #60
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp Howard View Post
Swisher Sweets and Backwoods might make it.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote