Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough
Default Edgestar Question

One more question, i have gotten it plugged in and it seems like it keeps running and running never shuts off, also it is keeping it a 60 degrees, and i have a pound of heartfelt beads in there half on top and half on bottom, and i am still seeing 72-74% RH, is it that i am not giving it enough time to level out or do i need more beads? i also have about 5 empty boxes in it, and i have added about 20 cigars on different shelves, but i dont want to ruin them with the low temp and high rh.

Thanks
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
postjack

Default Re: Edgestar Question

Newbie here, but I'm pretty sure a lower temperature will not ruin your cigars. The worst it might do is slow down the aging process. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm using a pound and a half of 65 heartfelt beads, and the RH sits between 65-68.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by postjack View Post
Newbie here, but I'm pretty sure a lower temperature will not ruin your cigars. The worst it might do is slow down the aging process. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm using a pound and a half of 65 heartfelt beads, and the RH sits between 65-68.
60+ temp is usually considered ok, I would be more concerned about the humidity. It does take some time to level out and short term variations should not hurt anything, especially if you are using boxes. From my personal experience if you are using a 28 bottle Edgestar 1 pound of beads is not going to be enough.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

do you guys but all the beads on the bottom or do you split them one on top one on the bottom?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

My beads are spread out a pound on the bottom in a pan and more elsewhere. I have a thread here on the mods I did with pics if you are interested.

Is your drain plugged? What is the temp in the room the edgestar is in? What is the rooms rH?
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
My beads are spread out a pound on the bottom in a pan and more elsewhere. I have a thread here on the mods I did with pics if you are interested.

Is your drain plugged? What is the temp in the room the edgestar is in? What is the rooms rH?
Thanks i will check it out, no i havent plugged the drain yet. The room that it is in, is 4 degree lower than everywhere in the house, we usually keep it between 72-75. So the room would be from 68 to 72 somewhere in that range.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofeardiver View Post
Thanks i will check it out, no i havent plugged the drain yet. The room that it is in, is 4 degree lower than everywhere in the house, we usually keep it between 72-75. So the room would be from 68 to 72 somewhere in that range.
Well then there really isn't any reason to plug the edgestar in if your room is around 70. I would plug the drain and get at least another 1/2 pound of beads to spread around the cabinet. That should even things out.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I am from the Scott school of coolers and I think you definitely have to plug the drain. If you don't you have no way of isolating the unit from the ambient humidity in the room. YMMV!!

Oh... and the temp is fine.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

ok so i plugged the drain with duck tape(yeah i said duck tape) Nah this is a temp till i can pick up a acorn screw like kydsid showed in his mod. I will see in the morning what it is looking like after the drain plug, i am also going to get another pound of beads when i get paid. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
kydsid
Ditat Deus

If it moves and shouldn't put duct tape on it, if it doesn't move and should put some WD40 on it!

Best man advice ever!
Old 08-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

Nice I will def remember that