Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Caymus
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
Caymus is on a distinguished road
Default Smoking in Car Thread

I love smoking cigars in my car. I'm on the road a lot for work, so when I've had my last appointment for the day and have a 1+ hour drive to another city, I love getting a Starbucks and lighting up a cigar for the drive. Heck, it's one of the few places left where I can smoke indoors ! I find I can really enjoy the aromas and flavors more inside, and it makes the drive enjoyable and gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day.

Just last week I handed down my beloved, faithful, and trusty 2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited with 250,000 miles. Never had a problem with it, never left me stranded or wouldn't start, 20 MPG even today, best car I ever had. Driving so frequently for work and using it as a mobile office, dining room, and dump truck tends to break in the interior. I spilled many a coffee, dropped several stinky ashtrays worth of cigar ashes onto the console and floor, food, drinks, trips to the dump, Lowes, spilled bags of topsoil, etc, etc...it all would end up somewhere and it didn't matter. I'd take it to a good carwash, clean it up, vacuum, spray some Febreeze and it was ready to pick my boss up at the airport or out on a date with my wife.
There's a certain freedom to having a paid-off car with lots of miles. If it got scratched, soiled, or cluttered, no big deal. (remarkably, there were few scratches on it...people can't believe how old it is and how many miles are on it).

So I gave it to my newly-licensed daughter...couldn't stand the thought of trading it in...and I got myself a 2008 Toyota Highlander limited with just 49,000 miles, Toyota Certified, etc. It's beautiful. Infact, it's too nice. I've had it for two weeks and haven't smoked yet and am afraid I'm going to spill my coffee. Washed it twice already. I dont' like this feeling !

Here are some things I do:
[list]
  • Turn vents to "vent" outside air, not recirculate
  • Only turn floorboard vents on with A/C, turn off dash vents.
  • Crack open passenger windshield to vent smoke (i can smell the cigar better this way as compared to opening driver's side, for whatever reason)
  • I bought a Xikar cup holder portable ash tray, but haven't used it much.
  • Febreeze works pretty well for freshening up the carpeted floors
  • It's the ashes that fall that make it smell the next day, not the smoke, so I try to clean up all the fallen ashes at the end of the day
  • Travel with 2 Cigar Caddies, but try not to leave them in the car when it's hot
  • Have bought more small cigars (5x38 or petite coronas) for short trips or running around town

What tips, advice, stories, pleasures or suggestions do you all have about smoking cigars in your car ?
Caymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Smoking in Car Thread

I don't go through too much hassle. My cars are leases that are inspected before they are turned in. I've smoked in every one of them, no one has ever noticed or mentioned it.

Floorboard vents, drivers window cracked (for ashing too) and the opposite backseat window opened. Toss an air freshener in there and it's all good.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
levrac68
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Todd
levrac68 is on a distinguished road

Only smoke in my friends Jeep. Wouldn't do it to my car.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Smoke in my truck most anytime I am alone or with BOTL(s) and have a trip of 30 minutes or longer.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I don't smoke in my truck. Have been tempted many a time. This thread is going to start the thoughts again.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Never have, but have always considered it.

Nice to hear about your 4runner experience since the wifey just brought home a new one.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Anyone use a ionizer to kill the stale smoke smell?

You can find them pretty cheap on Amazon. I know the big household ones work well on killing odors in a room. They are not smoke filters nor purifiers per se but I know they work well for deodorization. Just curious about which automotive/12V models work well.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
fhrblig
Real cars have 3 pedals

First Name: Bob
fhrblig is on a distinguished road

I smoke in my Ranger more than anywhere else. I don't smoke cigars in my house, so it has to be there. I don't mind that my truck smells like a herf, but I don't want my house to.
fhrblig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

I've smoked in my car several times going to and from cigar events/herfs. Although I haven't made a regular habit of it, I've had zero problem with smell the next day as long as little to no ash falls and I've got the windows cracked.

I haven't smoked much while driving on the interstate though, mainly just around town. Do y'all smoke in the car differently while driving at higher speeds?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
Do y'all smoke in the car differently while driving at higher speeds?
Nope. I find it easier on the interstate. No stopping, every ~20 minutes look over and tip the ash out the window.

Just recently drove 5 hours (320 miles) and had no problem smoking the whole way there and back.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I smoked in my convertible (before I sold it) and I occasionally smoke in my Highlander (when I have a longish trip). I have several ashtrays that fit in the cup holders or hang on the door. I also usually precut my cigars when I am planning to smoke in the car.

I open the sunroof as a vent when I smoke in the highlander, lower the rear windows and driver's window a few inches and I have the fan blowing high onto the floor.

That's about all I can think of for now...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Nope. I find it easier on the interstate. No stopping, every ~20 minutes look over and tip the ash out the window.

Just recently drove 5 hours (320 miles) and had no problem smoking the whole way there and back.
I will put this to the test on my next trip back home
Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
Nathan
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Nathan is on a distinguished road

I love smoking in my vehicle, it makes long rides much more enjoyable. I don't worry or care about the smell though. Roll down the window and try to avoid ashing all over and I'm good.

I have a 99 4Runner win 213k that is still going well!
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
jdakine
Sawadee

First Name: Jay
Trading: (34)
Partagas
jdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I smoke in the car when I go to Hana to visit my wife's Thai Food stand. Dannyboy and myself made the trip out there yesterday and had a blast. For those of you that have driven this road, know it takes 2 to 3 hours one way and it's all of about 50 miles.
It takes 2 to 3 days for me to get the smell out of the car.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #15
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Re: Smoking in Car Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Anyone use a ionizer to kill the stale smoke smell?

You can find them pretty cheap on Amazon. I know the big household ones work well on killing odors in a room. They are not smoke filters nor purifiers per se but I know they work well for deodorization. Just curious about which automotive/12V models work well.
Yes I have used an Ionizer with good success. Pug it in at the end of the day and by morning all I smell in the van is clean interior.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #16
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough

yes, of course, I smoke in my truck(s). Have 2 Toyota pickups. One loaded 2001 "S-Runner" and a 1994 basic Toyota pickup with a camper shell. Set the A/C or vent to "outside air" and crack the driver's window. Works for me.

As for a car ashtray, I haven't had one until recently. Designed a new Stinky Cigar-Car Ashtray earlier this year. They just arrived! Sent one of the prototypes to Snake Byte to "road test".

See?

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #17
MoTheMan
Who Else!

First Name: mo
RyJ
MoTheMan has disabled reputation

Yes, I smoke in my car all the time . . . been doing it for years.

Used to use an Ozonizer for years, and it worked fine.

Then I was introduced to the EcoQuest system Living Air Ozonizing System for the home . . . and after that I discovered the EcoQuest Living Air To Go which you can use in your car, or take with you on trips for your hotel room or even an office that you may be using while travelling. It's small, but powerful AND effective.

When I got my car new in November, I broke her in with a cigar on the 3rd day and turned on the Ozonizer after.

Seems to work best for me after I smoke a cigar and finish with it, I roll up the windows, turn on the ventilation and the Fresh Air To Go, and let the air freshen. Takes about 15-20 min and the car will smell new again . . . no kidding, it works that well.

The unit retails in the $250 range if you buy it directly from a licensed vendor or EcoQuest, but you can find it 40%-50% cheaper from e-bay. [I bought mine for under $130.] If you do buy it from ebay and the unit needs repair (which the company will do for you, or replace it), do not tell the company that you bought it from ebay, insetead tell them it ewas either a gift or from a vendor (whose name you forgot), and they will honor the warranty.

Been very happy to use mine when driving, and on road trips!!

Hope this helps . . . and here're a coupla' pics to see what it looks like!!

Happy smokes!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fresh Air To Go.jpg (29.2 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg Fresh Air To Go -- Other.jpg (107.5 KB, 241 views)
Old 05-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #18
MoTheMan
Who Else!

First Name: mo
RyJ
MoTheMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
yes, of course, I smoke in my truck(s). Have 2 Toyota pickups. One loaded 2001 "S-Runner" and a 1994 basic Toyota pickup with a camper shell. Set the A/C or vent to "outside air" and crack the driver's window. Works for me.

As for a car ashtray, I haven't had one until recently. Designed a new Stinky Cigar-Car Ashtray earlier this year. They just arrived! Sent one of the prototypes to Snake Byte to "road test".

See?

Stinky, it's good to see you here, my friend!!
Old 05-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #19
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

First Name: Ron
Trading: (22)
NeuRon will become famous soon enoughNeuRon will become famous soon enough

subscribed.. my car is turning into a smokehouse, lol.. but i barely care.. i love it!
NeuRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #20
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I drive an hour and 10 minutes to work each way...and I don't smoke in my car. Wondering why the hell am I wasting the valuable time not enjoying a stick.