Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #61
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Trading: (3)
Cohiba
SD Beerman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: College Hoops Thread 2011-2012

Good to see you are keeping an eye out for my Aztecs. Starting off well after losing 4 starters but a tough road ahead... Thanks.

Hope all is well with you.
SD Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #62
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Beerman View Post
Good to see you are keeping an eye out for my Aztecs. Starting off well after losing 4 starters but a tough road ahead... Thanks.

Hope all is well with you.

Larry, your boys earned the right to get a little attention last year, so I'll give them some until and unless they prove otherwise.

And thanks for asking . . . things are well enough, I suppose, for a crippled old man anyway.

Speaking of the SDSU Aztecs:

San Diego State 76 - UCSB 75 (OT) = Well, they came close to "proving otherwise" here. I'm not putting Santa Barbara down, and a win's a win, but this was a little too close for comfort.

But without a doubt, the biggest news of the weekend was:

UNLV 90 - # 5 (now) North Carolina 80 = I figured this would be a challenge, with the Heels taking it by a few possessions. And that's the way it started out, with them up by 4 at the half. But they didn't come out in the second half, while the Rebels did. A great win for UNLV, and a loss that hopefully gets the attention of the Tar Heels. At the very least, it takes a target off their chests for a while.

Other than that, in Saturday action:

TCU 81 - Houston 80 = A good game, and a very good win for the Frogs.

Murray State 90 - Southern Miss 81 (2OT) = Man, I bet Joe was sweating this one out. Aside from the unusually large margin for an OT victory, this was a great battle.

USC 63 - South Carolina 60 = Another good game, and a badly-needed win for the PAC-12.

Charlotte 70 - Wright State 66 = And a nice win for the 49ers here.

In Suday games:

Alabama 72 - VCU 64 = I'm a little surprised that VCU made it this close, seeing as how they've not shown a lot so far this year. But on the other hand, I'm a little surprised that the Tide's as highly regarded as they currently are, so maybe this one's about right.

Bowling Green 67 - Temple 64 = Not a good sign for the Owls here, who may struggle to compete for the A-10 this season.

UC Riverside 64 - Washington State 63 = As good as that Trojan win was for the PAC-12, this one more than offsets it as a bad loss. UC-Riverside? Are you kidding me?

DePaul 68 - Arizona State 64 = And though this is another loss for that league, this one at least is "acceptable".

Gardner-Webb 76 - Chattanooga 74 (OT) = Just a good tight game between two well-matched teams.

Pittsburgh 81 - Robert Morris 71 = But here, were I a Pitt Panther, I'd be embarrassed by this 10-point victory.

Saint Louis 83 - Oklahoma 63 = Man, these Billikens are making a lot of noise so far. Remember, this follows wins over Washington, BC, and Villanova, all of whom might be considered "out of their league" in more ways than one. The experts who picked the Iona Gaels to be this year's giant-killer may have missed the boat.

Wake Forest 70 - Texas Tech 61 = The Deacs had a lousy season last year. This one may not be much better, but even baby steps like this are positive ones in the right direction, are are doubtless welcome at Wake.

Santa Clara 65 - Villanova 64 = Well, I thought this would be decent, and if you're not a Philly 'Cat I guess you'd have to admit it was.

Tonight has some light action, but of note we'll see:

Akron vs, West Virginia = The Mountaineers haven't been what they were, and the Zips have not built on their early "upset" at Miss. State, so this could be competitive.

# 10 Florida vs. Stetson = Unlike this one.

# 6 Louisville vs. Long Beach State = This may be a little better, but not a great deal so.

# 11 Xavier vs. # 20 Vanderbilt = But here, here we may have a fight down in The Music City. I'm leaning towards the Comms, as I think they have the edge down low . . . not to mention the weirdness of that elevated court of theirs which can throw off visiting teams.

# 22 Memphis vs. Jackson State = This should not be a game at all. Yet I do find one thing interesting here. I have no problem with UNC dropping from # 1 to # 5 with their loss in Vegas, nor with U Conn dropping from # 4 to # 8 after being edged by UCF in Nassau. But the Tigers are 2 and 2, with losses to then-#17 MIchigan and unranked Georgetown, so how are they still at # 22? Did somebody confuse their record with their ranking?

# 16 Marquette vs. Jacksonville = This could be pretty close for maybe a half or so, but I can't see it lasting much longer than that.

Georgia vs. Colorado = And though I don't see either of these squads making much noise over the long haul, they should be able to tee it up enough to make this entertaining.

# 24 California vs. McNeese State = OK, if you want to waste 2 hours watching this one, feel free. But were I on the Left Coast, I'd watch . . .

Pepperdine vs. UCLA = Two weeks ago I'd not have given the Waves much of a chance to surf past the Bruins, but so far those guys have not been as advertised. Also, the dudes from Malibu have beaten Arizona State and UTSA, so they have a shot at hanging within 10 here too. And if not, we'll maybe see if UCLA can turn things around and get their 2nd win of the season.

Weber State vs. St. Mary's = Here's another one of interest to me. I've no idea what Weber has, but I know what a decent program St. Mary's has had, so I'll be sure to check on this tomorrow.

And speaking of tomorrow, I'll be back then. Enjoy.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #63
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

I started to wonder if the 'Heels took the half to go to Casa Fuente for a Don Carlos and a mojito???? They didn't show up for the 2nd bell, and the Runnin' Rebs made them pay. VERY surprising, but I do not envy the 'Heels next opponent.

UK now has the #1 spot; let's see how long it takes for the Curse to hit them .

How 'bout them Racers!!!!! Nice tourney for them, and one of their better starts to a season.

Watching the Vandy game now, before MNF. Vandy's looking pretty good, early in the 2nd.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #64
rebelknight
Feeling at Home

First Name: John
rebelknight will become famous soon enough

OSU vs Duke tomorrow. Both teams in the AP top 3. Does an early season game get any better than this? Can't wait for an awesome game tomorrow.
rebelknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #65
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Memphis is discovering that they can't rebound and they have been unable for two years to defend the perimeter.
They are going down SO hard. Shame, too, the coach is a nice guy, maybe too nice. These are one senior and all
the rest fresh and sophs. They are in too big a hurry to one and done to learn anything. Don't put money on the Tigers.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #66
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
I started to wonder if the 'Heels took the half to go to Casa Fuente for a Don Carlos and a mojito???? They didn't show up for the 2nd bell, and the Runnin' Rebs made them pay. VERY surprising, but I do not envy the 'Heels next opponent.

UK now has the #1 spot; let's see how long it takes for the Curse to hit them .

How 'bout them Racers!!!!! Nice tourney for them, and one of their better starts to a season.

Watching the Vandy game now, before MNF. Vandy's looking pretty good, early in the 2nd.
As for UNC/UNLV, I am as always of the opinion that if you don't play well, you deserve to lose. And as for their NEXT opponent, I hope Barnes can play better on a gimpy ankle against Wisconsin that he did against the Rebels, and that Marshall can defend the point better, and that the others who didn't show up (pretty much everybody except freshman P.J. Hairston off the bench) Saturday show up tomorrow.

The Wildcats are welcome to that # 1 ranking as long as they wish to hold it, as far as I'm concerned. It's only bragging rights until the end or March anyway. As for when the "curse" will strike . . . well, at this point I'd not put money on my Heels evoking it this weekend, much as I may like it to happen.

Go Racers, just as far as you can!

And regarding the Commordores, looking good to start the 2nd didn't do much for them in OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelknight View Post
OSU vs Duke tomorrow. Both teams in the AP top 3. Does an early season game get any better than this? Can't wait for an awesome game tomorrow.
I'm hoping it's a good game, and if both teams play up to potential it should be. I can see Dook edging out a win. I can also see the Buckeyes spanking them, what with their advantage down low. Either way, they won't be 2 and 3 in next week's polls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Memphis is discovering that they can't rebound and they have been unable for two years to defend the perimeter.
They are going down SO hard. Shame, too, the coach is a nice guy, maybe too nice. These are one senior and all
the rest fresh and sophs. They are in too big a hurry to one and done to learn anything. Don't put money on the Tigers.
I've heard good things about that coach . . . Pastner, or something like that? . . . and if true I wish him ultimate success. No offense intended, however, but my main hope is that he can clean up the mess that's too often hit that program, and run a clean one, regardless of success on the court.

Update shortly.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #67
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Scores of note from last night include:

# 12 Xavier 82 - # 18 Vanderbilt 70 (OT) = And on Vandy's court, to boot. As referenced above, the Comms did not show up for the extra 5 minutes, scoring only 4 points to make this into a relative rarity . . . a blowout in OT.

Oakland (MI) 89 - Tennessee 81 = And to add to the pain in the Volunteer State today, we have this surprise. OK, I know Bruce Pearl left the program in turmoil, but this is just sad.

# 7 Louisville 79 - Long Beach State 66 = This is not nearly as sad, since the 49ers are not total cupcakes, and the Cardinals did win the game. Yet +13 points is not much of a statement for a Top Ten team.

Colorado 70 - Georgia 68 = I just noticed this as a third SEC loss of the night. Although the ACC may top that futility this evening as their challenge with the Big Ten kicks off ( ), it still is notable. Otherwise, take note I called for a good game here, and we got one. You're welcome.

UCLA 62 - Pepperdine 39 = I have no idea if this means anything at all, as it tells me little about the Bruins and even less about the Waves. Still, I'd wager Ben Howland will take anything he can get these days.

Tonight, as I said, the ACC/Big Ten challenge begins, and the marquee match-up is:

# 2 Ohio State vs. # 3 Duke = I pretty much said it all above. Toss it up, let them play, and let's see who's for real.

# 14 Michigan vs. Virginia = Early the Wolverines had problems scoring, but have been doing better lately. The Cavs, on the other hand, are under everybody's radar, and perhaps rightfully so. However, for some reason I can see UVA giving UM some game here, so keep your eye on the scoreboard.

Northwestern vs. Georgia Tech = On the third hand, I can't see the Wreck doing all that much against what's been an improving Windy City Wildcat squad. It won't be Sherman's March through Atlanta tonight, but I do believe the Jackets willget burned.

Illinois vs. Maryland = Neither of these programs are what they used to be, and to be totally honest I have no idea what to predict here. Flip a coin.

Miami vs. Purdue = This one may get pretty ugly for the Hurricanes, and fast. Purdue has started to play better, and if Robbie Hummel's hitting his shots this could be over quickly.

Clemson vs. Iowa = But this one's about the same as the Illini/Terps game. Nobody knows who's who, if either one is actually anybody anyway. I'm leaning towards the Tigers a tiny bit, but the Hawkeyes may easily prove me wrong.

Otherwise, there's:

# 4 Syracuse vs. Eastern Michigan = Despite all the off-court distractions for the Orange, I really can't see them letting this one get away. Their style, much as I may dislike it, is too disiplined for said distractions to throw them off for long.

# 7 Baylor vs. Prairie View A&M = I had to double-check on this, and my suspicions were correct. So far the Bears have only played one decent team, and that Larry's SDSU Aztecs. Plus, they seem too shy to leave their den too. I guess we'll all have to wait a month or two to see if they deserve their ranking also.

# 23 Saint Louis vs. Loyola Marymount = And though I don't know how long the Billikens can remain amongst the ranked, I have no problem whatsoever accepting the fact that they have earned their distinction. They may get a test for a half or so this evening, but I'm gonna stick with Majerus' boys for now.

East Carolina vs. ODU = This one I just see as having some potential to be a good game.

Miami (OH) vs. Cincinnati = And this one interests me solely because I've become curious as to what in the hell the Bearcats are this year. If you're a Cincy fan, you doubtless know what I mean by that.

Arizona vs. New Mexico State = It's pretty much the same situation here, although my interest is not merely limited to the Desert 'Cats, but includes the entire PAC-12. The one difference is that I do think this could be pretty decent.

UTEP vs. Oregon = And for some odd reason, I think the same thing here.

That's my report for today. Thanks for all those who've jumped in with their comments, and please feel welcome to add your own , brothers. Until later then, enjoy.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #68
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

So glad to see this thread! I love college hoops more than anything, almost.

Good game on tonight, #3 OSU vs #6 Dukie.

Im a big Standford Cardinal fan.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #69
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
So glad to see this thread! I love college hoops more than anything, almost.

Good game on tonight, #3 OSU vs #6 Dukie.

Im a big Standford Cardinal fan.

I love it too, Huy, but I try to keep it in perspective. Hell, as a Tar Heel who's followed it since the days of Larry Miller and Charlie Scott ("Who?"), I'd be a fool to consider it more than a game.

And not only am I hoping for a competitve match between the Buckeyes and the Blue Devils, I also wouldn't mind one bit seeing your Trees make a little noise this season. As opposed to the Big Athletic programs based at schools, I always prefer those schools with priorities in order who educate first and field teams secondly.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #70
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

So let's kick this off with the big news from last night:

# 2 Ohio State 85 - # 3 (yeah, right) Duke 63 = Well, I halfway called this one for you. As I said, I could maybe see Dook winning a tight one, but could see the Buckeyes blowing them off the court also. Thus this spanking does not surprise me much, mainly because I've never seen enough from the Plumlees to think they could deal with Sully. They couldn't.

Northwestern 76 - Georgia Tech 60 = And I called this one for sure. The Wreck has been pretty much exactly that for some years now, with the Smarty 'Cats doing quite well, thank you very much.

Virginia 70 - # 14 (yesterday) Michigan 58 = And I contend I called this one too. The Logans returned to their earlier scoring woes, and the Cavs made more than a game of it. Good for them, and a possible warning to those who insist the ACC's top-heavy.

Purdue 76 - Miami 65 = And my only hesitation for claiming I called this one is that I thought the Boilermakers might even make it uglier that that final 11-point margin.

Clemson 71 - Iowa 55 = But if you want to get picky, you can diss me on this one if you like. I leaned towards the Tigers, but that "lean" of 16 points makes the Tower of Pisa look like the Washington Momument.

Illinois 71 - Maryland 62 = I made no call on this one, and consider myself wise in doing so. A win by 3 or 4 possessions is a cointoss IMHO, so there is no surprise here.

In other action outside the ACC/Big Ten challenge:

Cincinnati 56 - Miami OH 47 = A win for the struggling Bearcats, but not a very impressive one.

Loyola Marymount 75 - # 23 (bye-bye!) Saint Louis 68 = The Billikens made it into the polls for the first time in a long while, and promptly spit the bit. It's not a terrible loss, if you recall that LM knocked UCLA out of the rankings right off the bat, but it's one that likely rankles Rick Majerus . . . who's never found a spotlight he didn't like, if he could find one large enough to illuminate his entire frame.

Arizona 83 - New Mexico State 76 = And the Desert 'Cats are another PAC-12 team that dropped out of sight early. This won't get them back, but it's a step in the right direction.

ODU 63 - East Carolina 58 = This is just one of those I thought could be good, and it was.

Oregon 64 - UTEP 59 = And this is another I had that feeling about, and The Force was with me here also.

Tonight's action includes a few too many games with potential to note here, so I'll stick with ones I see as relevant:

Marshall vs. Ohio = The Bobcats may not be able to stick with the Herd from start to finish, yet Marshall's one of those mid-majors we need to keep one eye upon. They can give you a scary first-round game come March, if they make it there.

Northeastern vs. La Salle = And although I can't see (at this point anyway) either of these two making it to March, I do think they could entertain us for 30 minutes or so, if not all the way to the buzzer.

Bucknell ve George Mason = Here too it's the same thing, as I don't see GM making another miracle run anytime soon. Still, this may be fun.

# 17 Pittsburgh vs. Duquesne = And considering the way the Panthers have played from time to time, this one could also be more fun than Dixon would prefer.

South Florida vs. VCU = This one's another that could be a nail-biter going either way.

Tulsa vs. Oklahoma State = And this in-state match-up should be close also. Me, I lean slightly towards Tulsa here.

# 15 Kansas vs. Florida Atlantic = And I lean slightly towards the Jayhawks here.

Colorado vs. Colorado State = Another in-stater with potential.

Northern Iowa vs. Iowa State = Ditton.

Lamar vs. TCU = I don't know, and don't much care, where Lamar is, but I do think they might give TCU some game before it's over.

# 25 Texas A&M vs. Alcorn State = And if this isn't done by halftime, I'll be surprised.

Drake vs. Boise State = I've no clue as to why this one popped, but I've learned to pay attention to my hunches.

# 18 UNLV vs. UCSB = But I know exactly why this one popped. Not only do I want to see what the Runnin' Rebels have left after taking my Heels, I'm getting that feeling Santa Barbara may give them game. Hey, they beat a good Santa Clara team, and lost to a good Aztec squad by a point. Speaking of Aztecs . . .

Creighton vs. SDSU = This one pops for me too. Though those Aztecs have made noise the past 12 months or so, Creighton's on occasion been making noise for decades. Watch the scoreboard here.

# 19 Gonzaga vs. Notre Dame = The 'Zag Bulldogs haven't played much of anybody yet, so their 4-0 record means little. The Irish have played even more nobodies so far, thus their 5-2 record means even less. We might find out who's who this evening, or at least finally get some hints.

Then, with the continuation of the ACC/Big Ten challenge:

Indiana vs. N. C. State = The Hoosiers are supposed to be a year or two away, yet have played better than was expected early this season. The exact same thing can be said of the Wolfpack. As I see this going either way, with maybe a slim edge to the home team in Raleigh, I'd suggest you put your money on "red".

Florida State vs. Michigan State = The 'Noles started warm, if not hot, then cooled. The Spartans started cool, yet have warmed up considerably. Ehhh, ummmm . . . beats me. I like Izzo a lot, so may have to go against league loyalty here.

Wake Forest vs. Nebraska = If the fact that the Cornhuskers are now Big Ten isn't enough to confuse you, consider that the lame@$$ Demon Deacons have already won about as much as they did all last season. This just might be a pretty decent game out in Lincoln.

Virginia Tech vs. Minnesota = And this one too, come to think of it. The Hokies play well about 2 out of 3 times, which is pretty much what the Gophers do too. If both show up, we might just have us a contest here.

# 5 North Carolina vs. # 9 Wisconsin = Man, I truly have no idea what to say about this one in Chapel Hill. Don't make too much of the old saw about not wanting to face a good team after an upset . . . like with baseball, momentum lasts as long as the next day's pitcher. The Tar Heels exhibited some weaknesses in rebounding, perimeter defense, FT percentage, and outside shooting even before that Las Vegas game. And the Badgers are both big enough and (unlike their rep) fast enough to take advantage. Still, I think they'll make a mistake if they try to run with the Heels. I can see this being Carolina's 2nd loss in a row with a game in the 70s, or a win if it gets up around 90. But they'd better play better than they did Saturday, or the home crowd will let them hear it, for sure. Flip a coin.

Speaking of coins that's it for my today. Enjoy.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #71
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

My mojo was off some on a number of my "picks" yesterday. So it goes. Here are those which stuck out for me:

# 17 Pittsburgh 80 - Duquesne 69 = I figured on a Pitt victory, but not a very impressive one. Seems that's what we got here too.

George Mason 61 - Bucknell 57 = I also thought this could be fun, and so it was.

Ohio 70 - Marshall 68 = But this one surprises me. I would not have given the Bobcats a chance to trample the Herd, and they didn't. However, they did win, and good for them.

Buffalo 84 - Dayton 55 = Yet speaking of trampling herds, this one has me buffaloed. Since when can they beat the Flyers by even a late FT, much less by almost 30 points?

Indiana 86 - N. C. State 75 = Jerry's 'Pack could not defend homecourt, and the Hoosiers get another decent victory. I'd not be shocked to see them creep into the bottom of the rankings next week . . . if they don't stumble before then.

Michigan State 65 - Florida State 49 = But I would be a bit surprised to see the Spartans make it into those ranks yet, though I'd be even more shocked if the Seminoles remain there. Bye bye!

Eastern Illinois 85 - Maine 80 (OT) = A game that may mean nothing over the long haul, but sure was fun while it lasted.

Oklahoma State 59 - Tulsa 56 = I did lean a tad towards Tulsa here, but still it was about what I expected.

Colorado State 65 - Colorado 64 = I didn't lean either way here, yet thought it could be decent. Seems it was even more than that.

TCU 77 - Lamar 72 = And I still don't know why I felt Lamar would give TCU a game here, so just chalk this up to luck.

# 18 UNLV 94 - UCSB 88 (2OT) = Hey, did I not tell you Santa Barbara might give the Rebels fits? Vegas damn-near spit out the rep they got from beating my Heels. This still does not tell us if they were good in that game, or if UNC was just bad, so I make no further judgement yet.

Minnesota 58 - Virginia Tech 55 = Here again I made no pick, save to predict the potential for a war. I'll take it.

Creighton 85 - San Diego State 83 = And I told you to keep an eye on this one too. The Aztecs played well, but Creighton played just a tad better for a really good win.

Wake Forest 55 - Nebraska 53 = Even though the 'Huskers are not considered much of a basketball school, unlike Wake's past glory, this is a very good win for the Deacons on the road for a team that's had dang few of them of late.

# 5 North Carolina 60 - # 9 Wisconsin 57 = A win's a win, and this is a good one which the Tar Heels needed to recoup from their earlier "upset" out in Vegas, but I'm a bit confused by it. The score indicates the type of game the Badgers wanted, keeping the Heels from showing them as they ran down court. And UNC had a huge rebounding edge, perhaps more to do to UW's poor outside shooting; they missed 20 of 28 from beyond the arc. Me, I'll take it, but I don't understand it completely.

Tonight has a number of potentially close match-ups between "Who dey?" and "Who cares?", which I'll skip. Otherwise:

Harvard vs. Vermont = These are two teams with dreams of making the tourney come March. Both want a victory badly here, and if both show up this could be a war.

Davidson vs. Wofford = And here's a southern version of the same darn thing.

# 1 Kentucky vs. St. John's = Were this in the Garden, or even better, on Louie's court, I just might give the Johnnies half a chance of making a game out of this one. But it is in Rupp, and I think the Red Storm squad is still too young not to be intimidated by 20,000+ rabid Wildcats. And though they have one slim shot of giving us some thrills before it's done, I'd more expect a rout.

Murray State vs. Western Kentucky = Speaking of undefeated teams from the Bluegrass State, Joe's Racers want to stay that way a while longer. I can't see them dropping the ball this evening.

Mississippi vs. DePaul = Hey, this one may be quite decent, and could be the one to watch were it not for . . .

Stanford vs. Seattle = Me, I don't expect much of a game here, but since I want all the help I can get to keep this thread moving I'll make the nod towards Huy's team.

# 12 Alabama vs. Georgetown = For some reason the Tide's been getting a lot or respect so far this season. Maybe they deserve it too, though it remains to be proven to me. And for soem reason the Hoyas haven't gotten much respect at all, not only despite their superior history but also despite the fact they lost at Kansas by a mere 4 points, and beat Memphis by 3 to boot. OK, lemme show a little guts here, and call for the "upset": Georgetown by 2 late possessions hold back the Tide.

I'll leave it at that for now. Enjoy.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #72
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

Go UK!!!

I love college bball too. Will have to remember this thread.
never_enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #73
mase
Undead Recruiter

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
mase will become famous soon enoughmase will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
# 12 Alabama vs. Georgetown = For some reason the Tide's been getting a lot or respect so far this season. Maybe they deserve it too, though it remains to be proven to me. And for soem reason the Hoyas haven't gotten much respect at all, not only despite their superior history but also despite the fact they lost at Kansas by a mere 4 points, and beat Memphis by 3 to boot. OK, lemme show a little guts here, and call for the "upset": Georgetown by 2 late possessions hold back the Tide.

I'll leave it at that for now. Enjoy.
I hope you're right on this one. This group of Hoyas is pretty feisty - toughness these past few JTIII teams haven't had. Looking forward to this game.
mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #74
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by never_enough View Post
Go UK!!!

I love college bball too. Will have to remember this thread.

Yeah, me too.

I fully expect UK to "go" tonight against St. John's, and hope they can "go" in an entirely different way Saturday against my Heels.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #75
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
I hope you're right on this one. This group of Hoyas is pretty feisty - toughness these past few JTIII teams haven't had. Looking forward to this game.

Well, I wouldn't put any money on my gut, cosidering I so recently had 30% of it cut out of me. Still, I've just got that feeling that a mid-pack Big East team can give any SEC West one fits.

As for Hoya feistiness, consider that a JTIII is better than no JT at all.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #76
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Murray comes into tonight's game against an old, in-state rival and former conference foe in pretty good shape. 7-0 is the best start I can remember, but we also haven't played a real "major" this season either.

the Cats are looking good, into H2, and they are laying it on with the blocked shots tonight. Looking forward to seeing 'Bama later on also.

As for Dook, I hadn't watched them too much yet, but ouch!
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #77
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yeah, me too.

I fully expect UK to "go" tonight against St. John's, and hope they can "go" in an entirely different way Saturday against my Heels.
Slow offensively tonight in the first half, but the d was great the whole game.

Going to be a great game Saturday. To bad I don't get to watch it.

Going on a weekend trip with the g/f. I can't believe I'm going to miss the game. I use to never miss a game. Now that I moved up here with the g/f, I missed half of last season and will miss a few games this year I'm sure. Pisses me off.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #78
mase
Undead Recruiter

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
mase will become famous soon enoughmase will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't put any money on my gut, cosidering I so recently had 30% of it cut out of me. Still, I've just got that feeling that a mid-pack Big East team can give any SEC West one fits.

As for Hoya feistiness, consider that a JTIII is better than no JT at all.
Can't believe the Hoyas pulled that off. Were up by 9 with 2:30 to go and lost the lead. Great game.
mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #79
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann

A couple of really good games to end the night. Sucks bama couldn't pull it off in the end.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #80
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

All those comments above are on point. I'd reply individually, but work's gotten in the way again, and I'm pressed for time. So I need to skip a number of really good games and give you here only the relevant highlights:

# 1 Kentucky 81 - St. John's 59 = Pretty much what one would expect. Both teams are young, but the 'Cats are by far the more talanted.

Murray State 70 - Western Kentucky 59 = And maybe what Joe expected, or at least hoped for. So far so good for the Racers.

Ole Miss 70 - DePaul 68 = Did I not tell you this would be close? There were others I also called, which I'll let slide, but the one I won't skip is . . .

Georgetown 57 - Alabama 55 = Well, you can't say I didn't warn you. Not only did the Hoyas get the "upset" victory I predicted, it pretty much came down to the late 2 possessions I called for. Send my commission checks out by the end of the fiscal quarter.

There aren't many games tonight, but a few should be worth watching:

# 10 Florida vs. # 5 Syracuse = I might give the Gators a shot were this not (of course) in the Carrier Dome. They still have a slim one, but I figure the Orange will bounce north, like most of them do this time of year.

Cincinnati vs. Georgia = Neither team has played particularly well, so this could be some fun.

# 13 Missouri vs. Northwestern State = And this one should not be.

Auburn vs. Seton Hall = I'm tempted to do what I did yesterday, going with the Pirates over the Tigers here. But since it would be no upset either way, I'm just interested to see what these two have, if anything.

Washington vs. Nevada = And for some reason this one too strikes me as having the potential for being entertaining.

# 20 Vanderbilt vs. # 6 Louisville = We have some idea what Vandy is, and that's inconsistent. We have less idea what the Cardinals are, mainly doe to the fact that with the exception of one trip to a "down" Butler squad, they haven't played anybody, and all of them in the Crum Bucket too boot. If the Commodores show up tonight, we may find out a thing or three. If they don't, we still won't know if Pitino's boys are real or not.

To be quite honest, Saturday's early schedule (tipoffs by 1:00 PM) is much better than tonight's fare. Consider this line-up:

# 1 Kentucky vs. # 5 North Carolina = I don't know what else needs to be said. UNC has more experience, and UK has at least as much young talent. Toss it up and let 'em play.

# 2 Ohio State vs. Texas Pan American = The Buckeyes can't help their chances of taking the #1 ranking by spanking these bozos. But the votes are already split, so even if the 'Cats win the above matchup in a tight one, the tally may be confused enough to put OSU on top.

# 14 Michigan vs. Iowa State = The Wolverines have not been so good that they can feel comfortable about this one. They may win, but they may not win by much.

Richmond vs. Wake Forest = Had I noted this game before the season started, I'd have picked the Spiders big. But the Deacons have played much better than I expected them to, so this could be a lot of fun.

U Mass vs. Miami = So could this one, as neither team is a world-beater, and neither one outright stinks.

ODU vs. Northeastern = Same thing here.

Vermont vs. Yale = Ditto.

And all that's before a late lunch, brothers! I'll talk about the rest of Saturday tomorrow afternoon, between checking the score of UK/UNC. Until then then, enjoy.