Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Cigar Federation Tobacos

Whats up with these? The vivid description and blend stories sound like absolute BS. However, I see several folks on here picking them up.

Chick Magnet
"All of a sudden this guy comes out of the back with a bottle of Flor de Cana rum in one hand and this cigar in the other. He tells me, "Señor, these have been aging for so long that the cello is yellow." I immediately cleansed my palate with some coffee and lit her up.

Holy Sh*t was it amazing! I bought everything they had on the spot. "

BEER GOGGLES
"Once upon a time, in a factory far, far away, I was working in on this cigar. An old lady came out of the back room and brought a handful of this wrapper to me. My first impression was that it was a little too rustic for my discriminating eye. But after I saw it stretched out over the binder an filler and then actually tasted it, well, That Sh*t was it awesome! "

LOVE POTION
"I came across THE expert at rolling perfectos. Chance meeting in back alley. Really weird stuff. Anyway, we got to talking and he turned out to be a really great guy and a fantastic cigar roller from a factory that will remain nameless. "
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jason
Trading: (21)
RA Army (Disabled Vet)
av8tor152d will become famous soon enoughav8tor152d will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cigar Federation Tobacos

Marketing magic, CFed and Ezra Zion are marketing to you a younger crowd for sure, and they are doing great at it.

BUT I can say that I have not tried a single one of their cigars that I did not like.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I’ve bought stuff from this gang several times and enjoyed the cigars. You have to decide for yourself if the price point is justified.

There marketing is rather intense at times. But, hey, did you ever read the stuff Lew Rothman wrote for JR? I used to read his catalogs for the entertainment value.

To expand on Jason’s post a bit, Cfed and Ezra Zion are related businesses. The exact ownership has changed. Right now, I believe EZ owns Cfed.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Ditto. The Cigar Fed stuff is what I would claim is protype cigars that have passed internal muster but not enough to be a main stay in the Ezra Zion line up. I have really liked the Steampunk and the .45 ACP Cigar Fed cigars and one recently was good but not as good to buy again.

Ezra Zion cigars are all good if not great that I have tried except once again the protype cigars they have released which are hit or miss depending on your palate.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #5
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

BTW, Ezra Zion sells mixed test cigars (maybe 2nds?) called Blending Sessions. Kinda fun.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #6
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Man, I am so far outside the circle of the cool kid brands. I've never even heard of Ezra Zion.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Man, I am so far outside the circle of the cool kid brands. I've never even heard of Ezra Zion.
You are now a cool kid Av8tor turned me onto them and boy am I glad.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #8
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I’ve bought stuff from this gang several times and enjoyed the cigars. You have to decide for yourself if the price point is justified.

There marketing is rather intense at times. But, hey, did you ever read the stuff Lew Rothman wrote for JR? I used to read his catalogs for the entertainment value.

To expand on Jason’s post a bit, Cfed and Ezra Zion are related businesses. The exact ownership has changed. Right now, I believe EZ owns Cfed.
Correct. The guys who started Ezra Zion cigars started an online forum around 2012, and then teamed up with Gary Griffith of Emilio cigars (a super guy!) to start online boutique cigar sales. Logan Lawler managed the site after that and in 2014, they sold the site to Logan so that they could focus on cigar making. Then Gary Griffith retired from House of Emilio in 2015. Logan built up the site with a nice forum and review section as well as including other boutique brands for sale, along with a full selection of the regular lines of Ezra Zion cigars (but no the limited releases, which you still had to buy on ezrazion.com). Last July, the EZ guys bought the site back from Logan. It has come full circle.

As others have mentioned, I have never smoked a bad EZ cigar, but the marketing is over the top and definitely targeted towards an urgency to buy their limited releases before they are gone (and the hype usually insures that the cigars are gone within a day.) Some can be a bit pricey, and they are not always worth the asking price, but some real gems can be found. If you join the forum, members get a 10% discount at the online store.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #9
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Thanks for the heads up folks. I’ll look into picking up a few
Old 06-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #10
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Sort of a 21st century Lew Rothman marketing technique. Said with all due respect to Lew, who isn't dead or anything.