Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 02-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #221
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Re: *2010 MLB Thread*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Not disagreeing!! Just wondering why they aren't using Peavey as the ace.
This will be Buehrle's 8th opening day start in Chicago, we love him here, and it would be hard to see him not start on opening day. Don't get me wrong, Peavy is an ace pitcher and would get the nod in most other starting 5 rotations.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #222
ChicagoWhiteSox

Mac, Santana is pitching opening day right?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #223
ChicagoWhiteSox

The Braves have made a splash in the international market with the signing of highly-regarded Dominican shortstop Edward Salcedo.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #224
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Mac, Santana is pitching opening day right?
He better be...who else are we gonna throw? 2-5 looks pretty shaky this year. Hopefully Maine is healthy and Perez gets his head out of his a$$.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #225
ChicagoWhiteSox

Major League Baseball plans to implement blood testing for human growth hormone in the Minor Leagues later this year, an official in baseball with direct knowledge of the matter told The New York Times for a story published on its Web site late Tuesday night. It's about damn time.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #226
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

I am surprised the Union is allowing that during a current contract.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #227
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
I am surprised the Union is allowing that during a current contract.

How much control does the Union have over that issue?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #228
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
How much control does the Union have over that issue?
They have had lot's of control in the past. That is one of the reason it took so long to even get any steroid testing. The Union always refused to put it in the contracts. It was not until the Mitchell Report came out that the Union agreed to an addendum to the current contract.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #229
ChicagoWhiteSox

Anyone know the current status of testing in the majors?
Old 02-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #230
Whynot
Living the dream...

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (11)
Cohiba AirForce (Active)
Whynot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They have had lot's of control in the past. That is one of the reason it took so long to even get any steroid testing. The Union always refused to put it in the contracts. It was not until the Mitchell Report came out that the Union agreed to an addendum to the current contract.
Until a minor league player is put on the 40 man roster the union does not have any say in the testing. The minors had testing years before MLB did and the guidelines were more stringent.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #231
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
Until a minor league player is put on the 40 man roster the union does not have any say in the testing. The minors had testing years before MLB did and the guidelines were more stringent.
Thats what I was wanting to know. Is there a separate union entity for the minors then?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #232
Whynot
Living the dream...

Cohiba AirForce (Active)

Negative, if they are not on the 40, they are directly controlled by the parent organization.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #233
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Negative, if they are not on the 40, they are directly controlled by the parent organization.
Thanks, I never knew that.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #234
Whynot
Living the dream...

Cohiba AirForce (Active)

I have been trying to learn more about the business and minor league side of baseball the last couple of years. There are some convoluted rules.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #235
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

I was watching ESPN this afternoon and they said not to expect this on the MLB level until after the next contract. They are going to want to make sure that the 2 years of minor league testing has been proven to be effective. This is also going to cost MLB a ton of money to do.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #236
Whynot
Living the dream...

Cohiba AirForce (Active)

Quote:
I was watching ESPN this afternoon and they said not to expect this on the MLB level until after the next contract. They are going to want to make sure that the 2 years of minor league testing has been proven to be effective. This is also going to cost MLB a ton of money to do.
I am curious to see what all goes down in the next agreement. I think the Union will cave to most testing standards, but I am wondering if a salary cap is going to be back on the table. I hope so, I know owners are still making money hand over fist, but I would like to be able to still afford to got to games.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #237
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Quote:
I am curious to see what all goes down in the next agreement. I think the Union will cave to most testing standards, but I am wondering if a salary cap is going to be back on the table. I hope so, I know owners are still making money hand over fist, but I would like to be able to still afford to got to games.
I don't think you will see a salary cap without a salary minimum which the owners don't want.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #238
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
I hope so, I know owners are still making money hand over fist, but I would like to be able to still afford to got to games.
Tell that to the Dodgers and Indians owners.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:32 AM   #239
Whynot
Living the dream...

Cohiba AirForce (Active)

Quote:
I don't think you will see a salary cap without a salary minimum which the owners don't want.
There is somewhat since the player minimum is 400K, but you probably hit the nail on the head with the team minimum. I just hope Albert doesn't bust the Cardinals bank. By which I mean I hope Dewitt is willing to forgo some personel profit for the team/city.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #240
Whynot
Living the dream...

Cohiba AirForce (Active)

I like what Felipe Lopez has done with the bat the last couple of years, but I don't know that I see the value in adding him with the Cards current roster.