Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about
Default Nest Thermostat

I just wanted to share with you all how much I enjoy our new Nest thermostat.

It is unlike anything I've ever seen or used; I sell honeywell stats at work, but the Nest will blow any of those out of the water. We do not sell the Nest because customers can buy them as cheap as we do.

Anyways, you "train" your Nest for the first two weeks that you have it. While your doing this it builds a schedule based around when you leave, wake up, go to sleep, etc.

For example, we like to keep the house cooler at night while we sleep and set the stat to 63*. However, when I wake up 63* just doesn't cut it.

So the first two mornings I have the thing I wake up at 5:45am and change the temperature to 68* from my Iphone (in my warm bed). Now after a couple days it automatically turns the heat on around 5:30-5:45ish to warm the house before I get up.

The auto-away sense is a very cool feature as well. It senses when no one is at the house and turns down the temp to whatever you set the away temp to. We set ours to 62* while we are away; however, whenever I arrive home from work it is at the temperature I've turned it to the past couple of days -66*.

This is definitely not like the programable stats I've used in the past. Just wanted to share incase anyone hasn't seen/heard about these things.

They are $250 a pop which isn't too bad for a new wireless T-stat. I beleive it is worth every penny and will end up paying for itself within the first year of having it.

Here's the website:

https://nest.com/thermostat/life-with-nest-thermostat/
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Nest Thermostat

Have you used the Z-Wave systems? A friend and fellow cigar smoker is using the thermostat and lighting controls. I understand that many wireless products, including some Honeywell, are built on Z-Wave.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

Mark, I'm not too familiar with the Z-wave system. We were offered to attend a class last summer, but we were too busy to go.

It sounds like a great system and a way to cut down the bills. I'm all about saving as much money you can from utilities because they get enough of our money anyways.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the review Jarrod. I've been looking into getting one for some time now, but the reviews on Amazon scared me enough to not buying.

Maybe Ill just give it a shot. Let me ask you this. Will the Away feature work on a second floor location? What would happen if the entire family is in the 1st floor for a few hours. Would it shut down the A/C unit ?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Thanks for posting this..I've been looking at the Nest and the comparable Honeywell unit.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

Partagas

Edwin, that's a good question. I would imagine that away feature would work if you were not upstairs. I'm not positive though. It has exceeded my expectations and plan on telling my customers about it even though I don't make much on selling the units.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

In my last house we had the Honeywell; it was the first programmable thermostat I'd had and I loved it. After my wife retires here we'll be getting our retirement home so I'll have to look in to a Nest.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

And since Google just purchased Nest it should only get better.

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 PM   #9
ThePict
Is it time for SoCal yet?

Trading: (0)
Partagas
ThePict is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenksAnejo View Post
Edwin, that's a good question. I would imagine that away feature would work if you were not upstairs. I'm not positive though. It has exceeded my expectations and plan on telling my customers about it even though I don't make much on selling the units.
One way to eliminate this issue would be to buy the Nest smoke detector and place one downstairs where it will sense your family's presence and let the thermostat know you are there. Detector is a fire, smoke, and CO unit so you have full coverage and works in conjunction with the thermostat.
We love our Nest and have been using it since last year. Turning the heat up and down from my phone is fantastic, especially in the summer when the AC spins all day keeping the house cool.
ThePict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePict View Post
One way to eliminate this issue would be to buy the Nest smoke detector and place one downstairs where it will sense your family's presence and let the thermostat know you are there. Detector is a fire, smoke, and CO unit so you have full coverage and works in conjunction with the thermostat.
We love our Nest and have been using it since last year. Turning the heat up and down from my phone is fantastic, especially in the summer when the AC spins all day keeping the house cool.
Very clever. Thanks
Old 02-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbors Jay and Jen have one of those.
Being that we're in the house all the time, me retired and Weeze working from home, our good old-fashioned night setback t-stat does as good as we can get.
We aren't very good energy savers at all. We're energy users.