Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #121
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone Own A Kindle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarflip View Post
I have one that I've been using for 18 months. Absolutely love it and you can adjust the font size depending on how bad your vision is. It reads .pdf materials, does audio books and looks like a regular book especially with the grayscale and lighting that makes it look like you're reading a book. If you don't turn the wifi on, battery really lasts.

Then I started seeing the IPADs and other ebook readers like Nook Color. I decided to give my kindle to a relative when I was in Manila. I bought a Nook and although it's colored and tochscreen with internet access, I miss the kindle.
My wife gave me a Nook Color as an early Christmas present when I was in the rehab hospital. I have never had a Kindle but I love the Nook. The only problem that I have is that the software for anything but reading is very touchy and buggy but as a book replacement it is excellent.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #122
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Yes I did, Scott. Got one for Xmas 2009.
13 months with it and I love it. I use it daily.

Tips?
One comes to mind right off the bat. When searching for Kindle books from Amazon, skip using their search engine. www.jungle-search.com is so much better.
About a month ago, I downloaded the Kindle app for my laptop. I prefer using the Kindle itself but the laptop app can come in handy.
There is also an online forum (www.kindleboards.com) which I registered for but haven't really used.
I really haven't explored much beyond the books thru Amazon. I know there are other sources for books but I have found so much classic literature (free!) that along with a few purchases I have more to read than I know what to do with.
I've learned a lot in the last few weeks. Found other search engines and a couple of sites that have a lot of books (many are free).
But the real sweet "tip" is the hack for the screensavers. Now I can look at pictures of family and friends instead of Virginia Woolf and other dead authors.
I will post details soon.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #123
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
VTDragon is on a distinguished road

I did a lot of research and was intrigued by the Notion Ink Adam, but have cooled on it because of software, shipping and quality issues that have been reported.
My big hangup with the Kindle has been the propriatory format that they use for their books, I prefer a more open approach. Yesterday I got an e-mail notification for a refurbished original Nook for $89.99 from Buy.com and pulled the trigger. Figured I couldn't go wrong at that price and I already had a Nook account that I have used to download books onto my Android phone. Looking forward to less trips to the library.

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #124
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
I will post details soon.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #125
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
O.K.
So this undoubtedly slipped thru the cracks. I will post details later today/tonight.

And Mark . . .

Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #126
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Here are the two links to create your own Kindle screen savers.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004
You will need two zip files from the attachment in the first post
1) kindle-jailbreak-0.6.N.zip is to install the jailbreak
2) kindle-ss-0.20.N.zip is to install the screen saver hack.

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...nd_3.x_Kindles

This link has detailed instructions on how to make it happen.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #127
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Here is some great resources that were given to me by Ron (RGD.)

I have registered for and am using Smashwords.
I have not yet looked into the others.

First up is a web site called Smashwords that has a short and painless registration that you will want to do. They have a ton of free books with new ones added almost daily in addition to ones to pay for. They have best sellers and original author books as I call them. Now the good thing about Smashwords is that you can download them to your computer and then transfer to Kindle. So if you are so inclined - you could give a copy to someone else, especially the free ones. The site is on the honor system in that they ask if you plan on giving a copy to others (paid for books) that you pay for the extra copy.

Next up is Ereader News Today. What works best for me is this: sign up on the EreaderNewsToday Facebook page. Click on the "Like" button. Now each day, sometimes three or four times, they will post in the feed about free books and/or really cheap books. At times you can get $10 to $25 books for under $2 to about 89 cents. They also post links on their website.
Now these books are either linked to Amazon which will download as usual to your Kindle. Or - there are links to the Smashwords site listed above - hence the reason to sign up there. There will be a code on the Ereader site with the link. Use that code to make the books free. Just click and follow, add to cart, insert the code, click update, and then check out. Follow the link, select Mobi and download.

Good for about 20 to 25 free books each week.

ManyBooks. This site has about 29,000 books - and they are all free. Nothing to sign up for. These books are cached actually on Amazon's S3 service. Short version is that sometimes you may request a book that takes a while to download - because it is being encoded - but will be really quick for everyone else. One cool thing on this site is that they have an RSS feed.

And lastly- Feedbooks.com They have a store, public domain and original books that are free. Honestly I have been there, looked around, bookmarked it but with the above sites and my newsgroup feeds - I will be saving it for when I get the time. Good looking site though.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #128
MacsWife
I want to Move to Ocala !

First Name: Kellie
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
MacsWife will become famous soon enough

i own a Kindle loved it as first..but only for day reading. No Back lighting for reading at night. i did not care for the light attachment thing.. my husband and i bought like 10 of them.

I have an Ipad now. i read mostly from that day or nigt. I am not restricted where i get my books from with the apps available.. plus extras, games, email and so much more.
MacsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #129
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

I got my wife a Kindle 3 and she loved it so much that I got one for my mom and myself. I find I read much faster on my kindle than I do on a normal book. In fact the first ten days I read three novels.

I use the iPhone app a lot at work so I don't have to tote my Kindle to work and sync the last page so I can pick it up again at home. It's a great device!

I love the zombie fiction genre and there's quite a lot of zombie fic stories available for 2.99 or less
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #130
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsWife View Post
i own a Kindle loved it as first..but only for day reading. No Back lighting for reading at night. i did not care for the light attachment thing.. my husband and i bought like 10 of them.

I have an Ipad now. i read mostly from that day or nigt. I am not restricted where i get my books from with the apps available.. plus extras, games, email and so much more.
Kellie - Many people find the lack of it being backlit as a problem or fault. But the whole purpose of the e-ink technology is to be less of a strain on the eyes than a laptop/iPad/computer. Also, it is no different than reading a regular book at night. One needs light to read.
Also, I find the e-ink much easier to read outdoors during the day than a backlit computer screen.

My and worth as much.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #131
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

If you woulda gone with the nook you coulda hacked it into a full android tablet.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hin...id-tablet/7630
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #132
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
If you woulda gone with the nook you coulda hacked it into a full android tablet.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hin...id-tablet/7630
What if all I want is an eReader?
Besides, the Nook Color was not around when I bought my Kindle in December of 2009.

I'm not saying it is not a good thing, Steve. I'm perfectly happy with the Kindle.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #133
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Besides, the Nook Color was not around when I bought my Kindle in December of 2009.

I'm not saying it is not a good thing, Steve. I'm perfectly happy with the Kindle.
I'm with you, I love my Kindle and don't want it to do anything but give me great books to read. I appreciate the links you posted, I just got mine this past Christmas and have not had much time to play with it.

Just a suggestion to read, if you haven't already..."The Cigar MAker" I'm reading it now, it's a great book.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #134
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga View Post
I'm with you, I love my Kindle and don't want it to do anything but give me great books to read. I appreciate the links you posted, I just got mine this past Christmas and have not had much time to play with it.

Just a suggestion to read, if you haven't already..."The Cigar MAker" I'm reading it now, it's a great book.
Could you PM me a link?
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #135
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Kellie - Many people find the lack of it being backlit as a problem or fault. But the whole purpose of the e-ink technology is to be less of a strain on the eyes than a laptop/iPad/computer. Also, it is no different than reading a regular book at night. One needs light to read.
Also, I find the e-ink much easier to read outdoors during the day than a backlit computer screen.

My and worth as much.

Quote:

The other great thing is that we don't need to worry about glare as much with e-ink I bought a KoBo for $70 and it's exactly what I needed for reading books and nothing else. I've got an android phone that I upgrade every 2 years that can do everything else. I would love the back lighting option but I can live with having a $10 book light and $70 eReader.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #136
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I love my Nook. M wife had to use a Kindle for class, and liked my Nook better.

Mine is not the color one, and it isn't a replacement for my computer. It is for portable books to take with me instead of a huge library in a briefcase. As a pastor, that is huge.

I wouldn't mind an IPad, but for different purposes.