Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #61
Wanger

Default Re: Any triathletes here?

Well...I finished.

Swim went pretty well, but I went a bit off course, and ended up adding a bit more distance to it, though as I was getting to shore, my legs started to cramp. The bike felt good, and my time was about what I expected.

Then the "fun" began. Off on the run. I'd been trying to stay hydrated and taking my goos and blocks. I was feeling ok, trying to get my legs under me and loosen up...then, just before the 1 mile mark (of 6.2 miles) my quads started to cramp. I started to walk to let them loosen up. Didn't help. Then, it got real fun when my right quad AND hamstring locked up at the same time. Holy hell, that was painful! It was bad enough that even someone heading the other direction (I was at a turnaround point) asked if they should get medical for me. LOL I said "No, I just need a minute." I wanted to see if it would let go on its own. It did, but I was in pain for the rest of the 5.2 miles, running and walking intermittently. I was able to run the last 3/4 mile or so, and finished with some strength. All the blocks and powerade and water they had on the course didn't help, but I finished. My time was not close to what I wanted it to be, but given what I went through on the run, I'm just happy I finished.

Next race is another sprint in 2 weeks (July 25th).
Old 07-12-2010, 06:41 AM   #62
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Way to power through!

I have a bike ride(Tour de Park City)... Riding with my wife & about 5 other friends(including the ex), it should be VERY fun.... The "recovery drinks" in Park City are going to make for an eventful evening....

Michelle and I rode the hard portion of the route yesterday, apparently I missed the hurricane warning on the weather forecast.... Worst weather ride I have ever had....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #63
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Wanger, I'm no help on the tri front (congrats on being physically ready to do it though) I did notice you were from Minnesota. I'm trying to put together a Herf up here and you were recommended as someone who might be interested. Here's the thread I've started.http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33880
sevans105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #64
Wanger

Last planned race of the year was yesterday. It went AWESOME!!! 1/4 mile swim was under 10 min, the bike was an average of 20.0 MPH over 22 miles. Finish time was 1:44:45. I finished in 22nd place in my age group (out of 53 finishers). My best placing, by far.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #65
Wanger

New year, new races...

On Feb 18th, I signed up for the Chisago Lakes Half Ironman tri. July will be a combination of pure bliss and hell for me. Going to do the Manitou Sprint Tri again this year, and possibly another race in August.

What have you got on the docket for this year?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #66
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

Mike you are a crazy man.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #67
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Thinking about starting these. Looking for an easy sprint. The swim is what is going to be tough for me. The plan would be to take it very slowly and make up the time on the run.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #68
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

First spring break...now being ill...I barely could run the past couple days without coughin' up a lung...I haven't been biking at all, not having a bike and taking so much time to adjust the stationary bike for a perfect fit makes me lazy for the bike....I'll do one of the sprints sooner or later
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #69
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I am training for one.
The Beer leg isn't a problem, but I think I need work on the Bourbon and Scotch legs.
Practice, Practice, Practice.
Train, Train, Train.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #70
Wanger

First race of the season coming up for me on Sunday. Manitou Sprint in White Bear Lake. Since I've been training for a half ironman, this one should be a piece of cake. I did a brick workout on Wed. that felt great. Felt good about my speed on the bike, and my run pace was faster than expected at the effort I felt I was putting out.

Looking forward to this race! I'll post results and maybe pics on Monday.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #71
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Finally registered for a sprint this summer. 500m/14mi/3.1mi. This will b e a litmus test to see where I am and what I need to train for. A huge plus is that they have a fat tire division so I can ride my MTB with some Conti Gatorskins.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #72
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

tis the season

good luck mike
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #73
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Finally registered for a sprint this summer. 500m/14mi/3.1mi. This will b e a litmus test to see where I am and what I need to train for. A huge plus is that they have a fat tire division so I can ride my MTB with some Conti Gatorskins.
A fat tire division? Cool. There are plenty of races that have a fat guy (Clydesdale...200+ lbs) division, which I actually fit into, but never seen a fat tire one. When and where is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscmit View Post
tis the season

good luck mike
Thanks James.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #74
Wanger

Race day! Get some!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #75
Wanger

Finish time: 1:32:01. Better than last year, so I'll take it. Felt stronger than last year, as well. First race of the season, with the BIG on up next, on July 24th.

Here's my transition area before the race.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #76
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

NICE Mike!!!!

I have been SOOOO lazy this year.... I need to get a few races scheduled to get me off my a$$.....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #77
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

Nice bike Mike, What kind of peddles and clips do you have?
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #78
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonlady View Post
Nice bike Mike, What kind of peddles and clips do you have?
They look like Shimanos
Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #79
Wanger

They're actually Nashbar Ventoux 2s. A fraction of the cost. SPD-SL style.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #80
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
A fat tire division? Cool. There are plenty of races that have a fat guy (Clydesdale...200+ lbs) division, which I actually fit into, but never seen a fat tire one. When and where is it?

Thanks James.
Yep..it is in July in San Marcos, TX. The swim is what I am struggling with. It is only 500m too. I am just a very slow swimmer. Hopefully I can get the stamina to make it through the swim and make it up on the bike&run.