Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #121
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

First Name: Tristan
Trading: (0)
Partagas
Tristan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ubuntu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOut View Post
This thread perked my interest as I have always been curious. I dont really use my laptop much except for surfing the net, some small torrents, and some photo editing. I have no complains about windows, but hey we all like to mess with stuff, its human nature. I ubuntu hard to put on a laptop? will i loose everything i have on here? Will i gain anything out of it?
I'd say go for it. What kind of laptop, processor type, memory? Depending on how old your laptop is you may want to put a lower power version on. I like Lubuntu on my netbook.

What will you gain? Speed (most likely), security (no viruses to worry about) and freedom from (most) corporate interest.

In my opinion, for the things you listed, there is nothing better!
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #122
rennD
NinfaManiac

First Name: Carl
Trading: (19)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
I am about to put a new SSD in my macbook and I think I will partition and run Linux as well. I was thinking Mint....
Mint is ok. Lots of people hate the Unity on Ubuntu and prefer Gnome.

When using Ubuntu I use a Cairo Dock session. I have also been using SolusOS a lot.

....and there is always Debian
Old 08-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #123
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennD View Post
Mint is ok. Lots of people hate the Unity on Ubuntu and prefer Gnome.

When using Ubuntu I use a Cairo Dock session. I have also been using SolusOS a lot.

....and there is always Debian
This is a little out of left field, but I couldn't help but think...

This is the beauty of Linux. Don't like the look and feel? Change it. Want a dock? Pick one. Bored and want to be a little adventurous? Go for it.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #124
BC-Axeman

My distro has evolved from Ubuntu to a custom Debian installation just because of how I chose to upgrade it. I will be bummed if I have to do a complete new install. I have it pinned to the Debian stable repositories now so I will have less trouble keeping it upgraded. This was a lot of trouble to get initiated. I have kept the same computer running for about 12 years now. New motherboards, hard drives, power supplies, etc. but never a whole new computer.