Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default Xikar Problems

My Xikar X8 has been working great for a few months now but recently it is starting to stick. I can't really explain it more than that, it used to open and close great, now it opens and then sticks when you try to cut the end of a cigar. It's making my cuts kinda crappy since I have to jerk the cutter when I cut with it.

Is there a way to clean it yourself? Or would that void its warranty?

Is it best to just send it in for replacement?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Xikar Problems

Just send it out. I recently got my lighter and Punch back.

Brand new punch same lighter. They seem to replace cutters very often and only fix the lighters.

Never the less after sending in my lighter twice it works good enough. Still not perfect though.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

A lot times the binding is just from debris getting stuck in the tracks. Check to see if there are any flakes of tobacco stick in the tracks, if so, you can use a toothpick or straightened paper clip to try and knock them out. Additionally, you can use rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab to clean any grime out of the trackways and on the blade surfaces. If that doesn't do it, then it could be damaged, bent or whatever is in there is something that you won't be able to get out, so it seems justifiable to go ahead and send it in for replacement.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

You can also put it in the dishwasher. And you really can't void the warranty. It's unconditional.

Also, if you have an official dealer near you, they will replace it on the spot if you so desire.

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 07-22-2011 at 01:20 PM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Mine did the same. I just opened it up and took the tabacco out. Get a knife or something flat and thin to pry the two pieces apart.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Been using mine for almost 9 months now and I clean it with rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip every few weeks and have not had a problem.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Been using mine for almost 9 months now and I clean it with rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip every few weeks and have not had a problem.
I also clean it with alcohol, then I but a couple of drops of cooking oil and work it in. After working it wipe of the excess. Have had mine for over a year and no problems here.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

I don't know I would put it in the dish washer but I have never tried, never really thought about it, it might work, now I have taken mine and cleaned it with alcohol before and you could use a can of compressed air and blow it and see if there is some build up
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote