Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #41
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gurkha hatin

Good morning Mr. Legend,

I do not hate Gurhkas.

There are very few things in life I can honestly say I hate.

To hate requires a certain energy and dedication of resources to right a wrong when one's, or one's friends and / or family's, rights or liberties have been affected.

There is so much in life that affects us, our friends and family that to waste saying I hate a certain cigar brand is energy poorly invested for me.

I have tried the Nepalese Warrior, a 5er, and it was a poor stick in my opinion as it was a inferior version of the RP 90 for me (poorly rolled all 5). I would have said bland earth instead of dirt but that is part of the beauty of this hobby - I taste bland earth and my neighbor taste dirt!

I also tried the barber pole version, again a 5er to be fair, and it had the light taste of air.

At the price point for many of their cigars I can get some extremely nice CC's - some LGC and Montes come to mind or in the non-CC world I can find Padron Principes and many of Mr. Pepins cigars.

That is why I choose to not purchase Gurhka sticks and I believe I fall into what Mr. Klugman has said below.

Good luck on your next thread!

Respectfully,

Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
The best advice on dealing with the devil is.....

don't.

Smoke what you like. Respect others right to do the same.

Re: Gurkha's? Exploration of cigars likes and dislikes is an evolutionary experience. You don't realize what you don't know until you learn more. Many, upon learning more, realize things.

Last edited by Texan in Mexico; 04-16-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #42
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Re: Gurkha's? Exploration of cigars likes and dislikes is an evolutionary experience. You don't realize what you don't know until you learn more. Many, upon learning more, realize things.
This pretty much sums it up for most. When I was a mere noob I was caught by the flashiness and relative ease to obtain Gurkhas. I bought the Beast, Nepalese Warrior and random other ones based on the prices from the devil and the 'reviews', well I bought the Beast because it was huge. I can say that the cigars wouldn't make me puke or want to scrape my tongue with a straight razor, but as you experience more you realize that they are nothing but a product of hype. Most B+M's don't carry them, if they did they blow them out when they realize they can't sell them (even with the gimics). They are flashy, they throw the advertising in your face and make a million different claims of superiority. But, when it comes down to it, the more cigars you have a chance to experience, the less likely people tend to be leaning back towards Gurkha.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #43
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

'Nough said. I could post my experiences with them, but quite frankly, this thread shouldn't provide enough interest to further its post count for me. I think the pot has been stirred, scorched the contents, and served to the masses. Time to let it soak in the sink with some harsh cleaner in the bottom. Or, conversely, the post whoring could begin and just look silly. I suppose either is okay with me, and the LEGEND will certainly be gratified his thread continues to live on life support.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #44
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Can't say I had a good one but I won't go bashing them. My B & M is one of 2 Gurkha distributors in NJ according to the owner and he swears by them. Naturally he does because his Titan costs $22.00 and he always tells me, "The Gurkha's you see from CI or Thompsons are rolled for the discount shops, try these, they are the real deal". I dont have the heart to tell him I think he is full of **** because he is really a nice guy. I reach for the Fuentes or the Oliva Masterblends when I am there.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #45
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Naturally he does because his Titan costs $22.00 and he always tells me, "The Gurkha's you see from CI or Thompsons are rolled for the discount shops, try these, they are the real deal".
Oh no, conspiracy theory.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #46
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Oh no, conspiracy theory.
Haha, I was thinking the same thing when he told me that and then I read the Internet -vs- B & M thread here and nearly died
Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #47
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Funny... you forgot the Gurkha Legend... Legend!!!

I actually I have smoked a number of Gurkhas and now I know what the "mushroom flavor" is!!! I used to see mushroom mentioned in reviews and always wondered what that meant. Smoked a few Gurkha... now I know!!!

I enjoy the Gurkha Legend, Legend!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #48
Ender
Ok, maybe just one.

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (1)
Partagas
Ender will become famous soon enoughEnder will become famous soon enough

I've had some great tasting Gurkhas like the Avenger, G3, Shaggy, Genghis Khan, and Ancient Warrior. That being said I have a few that I didn't enjoy much. I agree for the most part that Gurkha needs to settle down on the multitude of blends and settle on the main sellers.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #49
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road

this is the most worthless thread since... well, since the last gurkha blow-up over at that other place.

sorry, just my opinon.
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #50
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post
this is the most worthless thread since... well, since the last gurkha blow-up over at that other place.

sorry, just my opinon.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #51
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Yes...the only reason I even became a member at CA is to see a Gurkha thread. F'n awesome!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #52
Smoke Naked
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bill
CoastGuard (Served With Honor)
Smoke Naked is on a distinguished road

What a rediculous thread to start, seriously. The title just says lets argue, arguing in person sucks arguing online is ridiculous, if someones made up their mind that they don't like a cigar who cares. Its our right to hate or love or be indifferent, don't try to convince anyone otherwise and life will go a whole lot smoother. Thats the purpose of a online forum, everyone gives their individual experiences and opinions and people take from it what they want. I have not purchased a a bundle/box over $50, so if someone comes knockin anything from my precious collection so be it, I like what I smoke, you smoke what you like. $.02

Gonna go enjoy a 5 Vegas Gold Toro or a Sol Cubano Connecticut Toro with my morning coffee- yum

♥ ♦ Palio Fanboy Here ♣ ♠
Smoke Naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #53
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Naked View Post
What a rediculous thread to start, seriously. The title just says lets argue, arguing in person sucks arguing online is ridiculous, if someones made up their mind that they don't like a cigar who cares. Its our right to hate or love or be indifferent, don't try to convince anyone otherwise and life will go a whole lot smoother. Thats the purpose of a online forum, everyone gives their individual experiences and opinions and people take from it what they want. I have not purchased a a bundle/box over $50, so if someone comes knockin anything from my precious collection so be it, I like what I smoke, you smoke what you like. $.02

Gonna go enjoy a 5 Vegas Gold Toro or a Sol Cubano Connecticut Toro with my morning coffee- yum
Yes, in fact I can think of another thread that begged people to start arguing...just cant remember who started that one...oh wait I remember
Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #54
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
With respect for Klugs' manta of "smoke what you like", the OP has asked that we not be so vague...so off the top of my head....

Smoked The Beast....tasted like dirt.

Smoked a Titan....tasted like dirt.

Smoked a Genghis Khan....tasted like dirt.

Smoked a Series 1887 Churchill...tasted like dirt.

Smoked an Ancient Warrior...tasted like dirt.

Smoked a Black Dragon....tasted like dirt.

Smoked a Legend....tasted foul and sour.

Smoked a Regent...again, foul and sour.

Smoked whatever the churchill barberpole version is...tasted like air.
Stop smoking the ones the dog has buried in the backyard and maybe the dirt taste will go away?

Smoked a few,the Vintage, Royal Brigade and one other I can't remember. Usually have burn issues and Flavor is kinda "meh" for the price.

I think this cigar is more "hype" than anything.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #55
Dgar

People hate on Gurka's because they dont like them... Its okay to hate on them, this is just a hobby. I enjoy sports another hobby, and there are certain teams I enjoy hating on, they suck IMO, it sort of keeps things fun. Actually hate is probably the wrong word, to hate means you must care and I dont think that many of the 'so called haters really care one way or another about Gurkha"

But why the hating, probably has to do some with Gurkha's own percieved value of its cigars, the MSRP on these are stupid, anyone thats done any research knows that Gurkha's can usually be bought for pennies on the dollar comapred to the MSRP. Its a damn shame anyone would spend 10 bucks on any cigar that could be bought for 2.00 bucks online, and this happens with Gurkha all the time.

You like Gurkha, cool... to each his own, Check C-bid for prices, at 2.00 a stick I've been know to smoke a few, but at MSRP NEVER!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #56
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Personally, I think gurkhas are the best cigars in the world.

Oh no, I don't discount them because of the blowhard, ridiculous advertising, although it would be easy to do so.

The stupid names don't bother me at all either.

From CI:
Few cigars can match the caliber of Gurkha handmade cigars. Considered to be some of the world’s finest and most prestigious super-premiums, the Gurkha brand represents a small-batch selection of ultra-elusive cigars that routinely receive top ratings in addition to ’Best of the Best’ honors from the Robb Report. Always pushing the envelope with exotic, high-end blends, Gurkha got another trick up its mighty sleeve, and it’s called the Black Dragon.

Dressed in a dark and toothy, 5-year old Connecticut Broadleaf maduro wrapper, the Black Dragon hails from Honduras and combines a vintage mixture of Dominican long-leaf tobaccos secured within a Cameroon binder. The smoke is thick and chewy, with a rich, leathery core and elegant hints of earth, complemented by an assortment of sweet spices on the finish. Medium in body and complex, yet buttery smooth, the Black Dragon is unlike any Gurkha you’ve tried before.

Naturally, these cigars come magnificently packaged.
{instert turd in a pretty box joke here}Inventory is extremely limited.

I mean, come on, that dirt taste is ELEGANT, dang it, so dig in and enjoy.

As I've already mentioned, I think these cigars are the best in the world.

Needless to say, I only buy mine at my local B&M on nights of a full moon, to get that perfect melange of gestalt and gravity that ensures a primo cigar.

And no, the earthy taste doesn't bother me. In fact, I don't even smoke these cigars. I make cigar tea out of them and use the tea to keep slugs off of my strawberries.

I've tried the rest and none could remotely approach the slug repelling properties of a gurhka.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #57
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
Personally, I think gurkhas are the best cigars in the world.

Oh no, I don't discount them because of the blowhard, ridiculous advertising, although it would be easy to do so.

The stupid names don't bother me at all either.

From CI:
Few cigars can match the caliber of Gurkha handmade cigars. Considered to be some of the world’s finest and most prestigious super-premiums, the Gurkha brand represents a small-batch selection of ultra-elusive cigars that routinely receive top ratings in addition to ’Best of the Best’ honors from the Robb Report. Always pushing the envelope with exotic, high-end blends, Gurkha got another trick up its mighty sleeve, and it’s called the Black Dragon.

Dressed in a dark and toothy, 5-year old Connecticut Broadleaf maduro wrapper, the Black Dragon hails from Honduras and combines a vintage mixture of Dominican long-leaf tobaccos secured within a Cameroon binder. The smoke is thick and chewy, with a rich, leathery core and elegant hints of earth, complemented by an assortment of sweet spices on the finish. Medium in body and complex, yet buttery smooth, the Black Dragon is unlike any Gurkha you’ve tried before.

Naturally, these cigars come magnificently packaged.
{instert turd in a pretty box joke here}Inventory is extremely limited.

I mean, come on, that dirt taste is ELEGANT, dang it, so dig in and enjoy.

As I've already mentioned, I think these cigars are the best in the world.

Needless to say, I only buy mine at my local B&M on nights of a full moon, to get that perfect melange of gestalt and gravity that ensures a primo cigar.

And no, the earthy taste doesn't bother me. In fact, I don't even smoke these cigars. I make cigar tea out of them and use the tea to keep slugs off of my strawberries.

I've tried the rest and none could remotely approach the slug repelling properties of a gurhka.
I haven't laughed so hard in I don't know when!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #58
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Naked View Post

Funnily enough this is the best point noted in the whole thread. In my humble baseless opinion particularly the bolded portion "The title just says lets argue" not that I would normally do so, but I find myself questioning the motives of the OP.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #59
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo14 View Post
Bobby! Where are you mate??????
I think it would be wise if i shut my trap you know?

Plus, i agree with everyone, Gurkhas are big stinky, nasty, perfume-like, overpriced, marketing-driven, and usually unravel 60% of the time....

For some reason, (overall) i really enjoy them, ever since i had my first Master Select this past September with a glass of Gin and Tonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
Funnily enough this is the best point noted in the whole thread. In my humble baseless opinion particularly the bolded portion "The title just says lets argue" not that I would normally do so, but I find myself questioning the motives of the OP.
But Fox! There must be a Gurkha love/hate thread with the Season's change!! Just kidding, there does not need to be one. I love you all, that is all!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #60
Smoke Naked
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bill
CoastGuard (Served With Honor)
Smoke Naked is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
I love you all, that is all!
Oh Bobby, I don't even know you but I love you and your love for Gurkhas too. Man hugs all around folks.

♥ ♦ Palio Fanboy Here ♣ ♠
Smoke Naked is offline   Reply With Quote